It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:36 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2011 College Freak List
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 5:42 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

- I think he missed the boat on David Wilson, but I can see where he's still unknown enough to miss this list. In the long run, he could be the picture next to the definition freak.

Since NFL is stuck in limbo mud, lets get some college talk going...

Quote:
Bruce Feldman

Spring football is over, and most teams have conducted their offseason testing programs. That makes it the perfect time to roll out our annual Freaks list of the top workout warriors in all of college football (thanks to the help of many coaches and sports information directors around the country):

1. Jeff Demps, RB, Florida Gators

The term "world-class speed" gets tossed around a lot. Demps legitimately has it, as he is a contender to make the 2012 London Olympics as a sprinter. Before enrolling at Florida, Demps shared the world 100-meter junior record with a time of 10.01, enabling him to get a spot at the 2008 U.S. Olympic trials. Since becoming a Gator, he has clocked two sub-10-second 100-meter times (both were wind-aided), and he has continued to get faster. He isn't just the fastest man in college football; he's also the fastest man in college sports.

Demps -- who led the Gators in rushing last season with 551 yards despite missing some time due to a foot injury -- arrived at Florida weighing 170 pounds, and is expected to play this fall at 188. Gators strength coach Mickey Marotti says the back can squat "an ungodly amount of weight." And despite the added pounds, Demps has gotten faster. "He was a 10.1 guy, is now a 9.9 guy and probably will be a 9.8 guy," said Marotti, who adds that Demps has really improved his acceleration.

Demps isn't actually in the top five Gators when it comes to his first 10 yards. Teammate Chris Rainey's is tops, with a 1.49 10-yard split (Demps is at 1.57), but it's Demps' closing speed that is jaw-dropping. His "flying 20" -- which the Gators gauge as a player's electronic time for the final 20 yards of his 40 -- is a blistering 1.76 seconds. (Both Rainey and former Gators speedster Percy Harvin measured in the 1.8s.)

Ask Marotti about what the freakiest thing about Demps is, though, and you may be surprised.

"It's his work ethic and his motor," Marotti said. "It's really something special. From the time he showed up here through today, it's always full-go. This is an overachieving guy that has a lot of gifts. He has an energy and enthusiasm for everything. People feed off him. They love to be around him. He's the hardest-working guy on our football team and I can't speak for our track coach, but I believe he's probably the hardest working guy on our track team too."

2. Mike Ford, RB, LSU Tigers

Truth be told, Ford deserved to be on this list last year, but I try to avoid having more than one player per program on a top 10 list, and it would have been even harder to bypass superfreak cornerback Patrick Peterson. LSU strength coach Tommy Moffitt made a pretty compelling case for Ford, saying he was as physically advanced as any young athlete he'd ever been around. Moffitt said Ford was such a freak in the weight room, he reminded him of a young Andre Johnson when he coached the Miami (FL) Hurricanes. The 5-foot-10, 202-pound sophomore has only added to his eye-catching numbers, benching 435, squatting 555 and power-cleaning 352 while clocking a 4.41 40. His 42-inch vertical and 11-foot-2-inch broad jump also were tops at a program dripping with athletes. "He's a beast in the weight room, but he's also a beast on the football field," said LSU running backs coach Frank Wilson.

3. Marquise Goodwin, WR, Texas Longhorns

Over the weekend, the 5-9, 177-pound junior set the Big 12 long jump record with a leap of 26 feet, 9 3/4 inches. In 2010, he won the NCAA long jump title. Goodwin also has run on Texas' 4x100 relay team and placed fifth in the Big 12 Indoor Championships in the 60-meter dash. The first-team Academic All-Big 12 pick caught 31 passes for 324 yards and a touchdown last fall.

4. Dorian Graham, WR, Syracuse Orange

A converted defensive back, Graham uses his speed and explosiveness as a special teams standout for the Cuse as a gunner flying down the field covering punts. At 5-10, 185 pounds, Graham hang-cleans 341 pounds, benches 405 and squats 525. His body fat, according to SU coaches, is a microscopic 4.3 percent. "Statistically, he's off the charts," says Orange head coach Doug Marrone. "The guy can almost power-clean twice his body weight and ran an electronic 4.31 40." Marrone added that Graham is working hard to improve his route running, and the coach is hoping Graham can become more than just a special-teams star in his senior season this fall.

5. Kanorris Davis, LB, Troy Trojans

The Trojans have a couple of guys who could've made the Freaks list Top 10. Defensive end Brandon Boudreaux is under 240 pounds and has repped 225 on the bench almost 50 times. But it's the 5-9, 203-pound junior linebacker who really gets Troy strength coach Richard Shaughnessy gushing. Yeah, Davis -- who has forced five fumbles in the past two seasons -- can run a 4.40; however, it's jumping ability that turns heads. Want proof? Check out this video of Davis, whose vertical has been measured at 42 inches, vaulting clear over 6-foot Troy punter Will Goggans (of Santa Claus beard fame) in the weight room. The Trojans' strength coach also points out that Davis even looks like a freak. "The guy needs to be modeling for Calvin Klein," says Shaughnessy, who predicts that Davis can make it to the NFL on his special-teams prowess alone.

6. Julian Burnett, ILB, Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets

The undersized Yellow Jackets linebacker had a spot on the Strongest Man list, and as a 5-10, 222-pounder with a 600-pound squat, 350-pound power clean and 460-pound bench, Burnett belongs here too. Called a "heat-seeking missile" by Tech coach Paul Johnson, Burnett, despite not having ideal size for the 3-4 scheme, cracked the starting lineup by Game 5 and ending up leading the team in tackles.

7. Jheranie Boyd, WR, North Carolina Tar Heels

The 6-2, 185-pound junior wide receiver has impressive bloodlines. His uncle is former OU great Keith Jackson. Boyd, better known as Jhay, proved to be a big-play threat for the Heels last season, averaging over 22 yards per reception. That number included a 97-yard TD catch in the first game of the season versus LSU -- the longest pass play in UNC history.

The Tar Heels have been well-represented on the Freaks lists in recent years, and you have to pay attention to any guy UNC coaches deem their best athlete -- as they now do with Boyd. He certainly backed that up with his showing in a metric that the new Tar Heels strength and conditioning staff puts together for their athletes called the total Max Jones Quad. Boyd's score of 312 -- which would rank him as the 22nd all-time best score among the world's elite track and field athletes -- is based on his 30-meter dash time (3.3), his three jump distance of 34-6, his overhead throw of a 16-pound shot for 56-5 and a 10-11 standing long jump.

8. Jay Prosch, FB, Illinois Fighting Illini

A few years ago there was a 250-pound fullback on top of this list named Owen Schmitt. Prosch, a rising sophomore, may top this list in a year or two. Illini staffers say Prosch has calves as thick as some men's waists. Still, he's been measured at 6 percent body fat. He power-cleans 382 pounds, hang-cleans 401 and can bench 405 for two reps. In high school he was a guard and a linebacker, but Ron Zook's staff loves his presence as a fullback.

9. Doug Martin, RB, Boise State Broncos

The tackle-breaking machine, who some around Boise call "the Muscle Hamster," is a powerhouse at 5-foot-9, 206 pounds. Martin's testing numbers are on top or near the top of the BSU program with a 405-pound bench, a 374-pound hang clean, a 530-pound squat and a 40-time of 4.42. He also vertical-jumped 37 inches and repped 225 pounds 28 times. Better still, Martin's prowess really carries over to the field, where he ran for 1,260 yards and 12 TDs while averaging 6.3 yards per carry in 2010.

10. Pat O'Donnell, P, Cincinnati Bearcats

Yes, a punter. Don't roll your eyes, though. This guy is one of the more imposing punters since the Pittsburgh Panthers' MMA fighter Dave Brytus. The 6-5, 217-pound O'Donnell has a 355-pound bench and broad-jumps 9-2, and his 10-yard split of 1.53 seconds is actually faster than the time Jeff Demps clocks.

Post subject: Re: 2011 College Freak List
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 10:32 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Only Demps and Martin are known to me.

Looking at last year's list:

1. Bruce Carter
2. Patrick Peterson
3. Allen Bailey
4. Stephen Paea
5. Nate Solder
6. Jeff Demps
7. Noel Devine
8. John Simon
9. Jon Baldwin
10a. Trent Richardson
10b. Ryan Bartholomew

And the honorable mentions: Robert Griffin, Baylor, QB; Dontay Moch, Nevada, DE; Zach Brown, UNC, OLB; Jake Locker, Washington, QB; Martez Wilson, Illinois, LB; Anthony Gray, So. Miss, DL; Terrelle Pryor, Ohio State, QB; Jordan Pendleton, BYU, LB; BJ Daniels, USF, QB; Jeff Fuller, A&M, WR; Michael Ford, LSU, RB; Ryan Mallett, Ark., QB; Luther Ambrose, ULM, WR; Ronnell Lewis, OU, LB; Zaviar Gooden, Mizzou, OLB; Tyron Carier, Houston, WR; Sam McGuffie, Rice, RB; Dontell Watkins, Utah State, WR; Dont'a Hightower, Bama, LB; Jeff Luc, FSU, LB; Brooks Reed, Arizona, DE and Damaris Johnson, Tulsa, WR.

Interesting that none of the returnees from last year's list are on this year's list except Ford and Demps.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 5:57 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
Trent Richardson

Really interested how much this dude busts out w/ Ingram gone. I would imagine a LOT, though don't know who the new #2 is. Either way you know they recruited somebody good in the mean time.

Interesting to look at last year, good idea. I guess aside from the ones I removed, the rest got drafted (and I dont' know who Bartholomew is?) They certainly nailed Paea on the strength piece. Carter, PP and Bailey all qualified as freaky athletes to me.

1. Bruce Carter
2. Patrick Peterson
3. Allen Bailey
4. Stephen Paea
5. Nate Solder
9. Jon Baldwin
10b. Ryan Bartholomew

Demps and Burnett are who I'm familiar with. Demps more of a speed one trick pony. Burnett is a good LB from what I remember, but I'll pay more attention this year. Otherwise I'm like you, who? But seeing as last years list sorta panned out, I may jot the names down to squirrel away for the fall. This Boyd wide receive from UNC, never heard of him. UNC...never in my life have I seen so much nfl talent fall out of a disfunctional program in my life. Butch can recruit, he just can't coach for s***. But yet again, heres two more DE's (moss & ?) coming down the pick for 2012.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 12:10 am 

Bartholomew had a really good Combine or something early in the off-season, but ultimately went undrafted because typically after you get past the Top 3 or so consensus guys each year, most teams are pretty scattered on who they like (e.g. us with Hawley). But with Bartholomew's solid Combine performance, I guess they were right about him too. Maybe it was the Senior Bowl, but I think it was the Combine. I just remember at some point in Jan./Feb. his stock started to rise because of his workouts.

As for UNC's WRs, everyday it seems like a new guy keeps popping up. I know the Dwight Jones guy had a couple of big games last year. CBS Sports Draft has him listed at 6-4/225. Saw some highlights of him and he looks he has the speed to match.

The question I have about next year is why isn't Oregon getting more love? It seems many are putting Oklahoma as the preseason #1. I guess that makes sense now that Nebraska is out of the conference, now all they have to beat is a down Texas team and OSU (have the Pokes ever won a big game?). But who did Oregon lose? They lost some guys on defense, but that's about it. I think they have like 9 or 10 starters returning to their offense. Who is going to stop them?

I guess Alabama, when they meet in January.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 3:48 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
I know the Dwight Jones guy had a couple of big games last year. CBS Sports Draft has him listed at 6-4/225. Saw some highlights of him and he looks he has the speed to match.

Yeah Davis doesn't have any trouble unearthing and recruiting these freaks...he just can't coach 'em up for anything. Thats a pretty monsterous WR though. VT's got an uber WR coming down the pike this size too, jot this name down and look smart later...Marcus Davis. Goes 6'4", 230 lbs, 4.4 forty, 43" vert and just had two TD's in the spring game from newbie qb Logan Thomas. We've got another a year behind this one (and these two aren't Boykin or Coales who I expect to have nfl careers, in Boykin's case a really good one) named DJ Coles, 6'3", 225, 4.4 forty and YAC like a RB. Thomas will not be short on bullets.

Marcus Davis

Other than David Wilson that we discussed some, the other freak you'll hear about even before the season starts is the new QB LThomas. The three are gonna make a sick, sick trio on O. Thomas runs 6'6", 245, 4.6 forty, rocketship arm and smart/savvy from what I can tell thus far to boot.

Only thing I'm not crazy about is they're already comparing him to Cam Newton for obvious metric reasons. In the long run they could easily be correct, and from what I saw in the spring game a few weeks ago, the kids legit. He'll need obvious time to grow and get comfortable, but once everything clicks this dude is gonna be scary good more than likely.

Logan Thomas - makes TT look even shorter

big ole boy with the motion already right over the top

Davis Wilson just for fun

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 4:21 pm 

Boykin is pretty good, and it's one of the reasons why I think next year's WR class is going to be really strong. Because he's probably not one of the 10 best senior WRs, but he certainly has 2nd/3rd round potential. I think the way next year's WR class is shaping up guys like him might wind up going in the 5th round, but be just as good as some of the guys that went in the 2nd and 3rd rounds this year.

It'll be interesting to see what he, Coale, and Roberts do this year. Roberts seemed to be the more highly rated guy giong into the season by draft sites, but he never really stood out in any of the games I watched. He was like the Bernard Berrian to Boykins' Sidney Rice and Coale's Percy Harvin. I'm curious to see what they all do now that Taylor is gone.

So Thomas is going to be the starter at QB? I know Beamer can't go more than half a season without someone that can run in there.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 9:59 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
Boykin is pretty good, and it's one of the reasons why I think next year's WR class is going to be really strong. Because he's probably not one of the 10 best senior WRs, but he certainly has 2nd/3rd round potential. I think the way next year's WR class is shaping up guys like him might wind up going in the 5th round, but be just as good as some of the guys that went in the 2nd and 3rd rounds this year.

It'll be interesting to see what he, Coale, and Roberts do this year. Roberts seemed to be the more highly rated guy giong into the season by draft sites, but he never really stood out in any of the games I watched. He was like the Bernard Berrian to Boykins' Sidney Rice and Coale's Percy Harvin. I'm curious to see what they all do now that Taylor is gone.

I really like Boykin, and all facets of his game. His one deficiency is top end speed. He gets down field plenty, and he wins probably 80% of his jumpballs. Big kid, prob goes 6'3, 218 or so, I'm guessing 4.5 range. Weird fact, they can't really find gloves to fit his freakish big hands. He busts them continually attacking catches, and I presume why he's has very good hands. To me he just gets playing WR, super productive all the time, no off games, been doing that since he was really a freshman. He is getting to the pt of setting most of the career wr marks I'm assuming, he has a lot of TD's also.

Coale is a curious character, highly efficient and productive wr. Almost robin to boykins batman over their careers, yet you look at numbers and hes almost where boykin is. They both grew w/ TT so their collective career nmbers are piling up. Coale is actually pretty fast and very good hands. The vt joke is why is he always so wide open, cause it seems like half his catches he's found the space and is wide open 30 yards downfield.

I agree w/ you, Boykin is close to first round talent, prob more in the second b/c of the lack of elite speed. Yet also like you said, he may get pushed much further down based on depth at wr. Coale to me is sneaky 3rd round value, maybe more based on this yr and logan thomas' play.

Dyrell Roberts was the speed/slot wr they has grown up w/ the other two. He has one of those nasty compartment syndrom injuries and is out until further notice. He has nfl potential, almost ted ginn like to me, but a better "football" player. Used to return kicks also. His problem is Marcus the monste Davis is coming down the pike like a Mack Truck. He's pushing Danny Coale at this point as he's mental side is now letting his freaky metrics take over. Davis has so much potential its been rumored that Roberts maybe should redshirt as Davis may not let him back in the rotation. The other big dude w/ potential DJ Coles makes that decision more to me. Either way I know we're set at WR this year and well beyond thankfully for Thomas.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 10:43 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

As for Logan Thomas, and yes that’s a very asute observation as VT has been the slash/running qb school for over a decade since MV1. Quite a string of talent at that position in that style, so its natural to presume that our next is another hybrid. The answer is a no, but then his is a semi-hybrid in another fashion, but then a full convert also.

Heres the skinny. He was the #1 TE recruit in the country 3 years ago from Lynchburg, VA. Tech got him and its notable that he played primarily QB and LB in H.S. Whats funny is colleges were projecting him as a sick Hback prospect with his size (6'6), and still growing body which is now just over 240. His legit 4.6 speed with make him a viable hback nightmare was the presumption. Fair, yet if you go watch his QB tape from H.S. his is manchilding this kids. He is slinging it WAY down field, on a rope, running around freely cause he's to big to tackle.

He gets to VT, starts at TE and we realize we needed a better heir apparent at QB since we had a few recruiting qb wiffs at the same time. Hey Logan, why don't you try QB if you're open to it. He reluctantly did for the sake of the team, thinking he was leaving a future nfl position at te. Well they moved him for a reason, the kid is seriously metricly suprior or even to Cam Newton, and he's a f-sophomore this year. Forever the Randalls and Taylors had to fight for playing time, be thrown to the wolves, never got a redshirt, etc. Now, finally, this kid has been groomed the right way.

I envision him to be about an 80-90% pocket passer most of the time. I also think when opportunities to run present themselves, he'll fully take advantage. The same way Newton used his 240lbs to bull for yards, Thomas is of the same ilk. I've already heard him quoted recently as he likes contact, isn't shy of finishing off a run and doesn't concern himself with the danger aspect b/c one of his size advantage, but two as he really liked hitting as a LB his H.S. That is he gets hurt, its football. I like this mentality, and to me he has more gray matter than TT. I've read all his interviews, and his is surprisingly well thought out and impressive when he speaks. He has the offensive scheme under his thumb. He just needs experience. We have a great Sept schedule, so that’s sets up nicely. Aside from the metric stuff and running, where he is so impressive is the arm. When its coming, you better be ready. As much arm as I've seen from a collegiate qb (minus mallett) recently. At 6'6, and the delivery is right over the top and with authority, you're not getting many batted balls with a delivery that high. The nfl scouts liked Newton's delivery, in 2-3 years they'll be frothing at what this kids is arm wise at that point. So he sees the whole field easily, and can now open up our playbook more. Screens, Slants to David Wilson are a td waiting to happen, and we wouldn't run them with TT b/c of his height.

So no, he's not our typical. MV1 was a different animal, you had to win in different ways with mostly running and long bombs. He's a whole new bag, Beamers never had a toy this potentially nice. Like I said, the medias already on him as the potential next newton, as you know we're always looking for the next great something. I wish they'd calm down, but its sorta easy to see all the sick metrics and potential.

Here's the flash of brillance that has added to the hype. Miami game last year, TT goes down for 1 play, Thomas steps in on 3rd and like 17 or so. Calm, cool, dropback, cannon strike down field to Coale for a first down. Cold off the bench, and I can't track the velocity of that ball on this youtube clip. But its impressive stuff either way.

Check starting at 3:30 for the throw, then 4:05 for another angle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy9Wa7rT6yU

It gets sicker, the TD he caught last year as a split wide Hback ONE HANDED, tech sneaked him in at the goaline. This is why he was a good TE prospect, but this is the only time vt tried it all year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKjJA8ub ... re=related
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Last log for the discussion, an article about thomas from a vt site I frequent. The entire pt was to rangle the hype and sift it into reality. Good read if you have the time.

How Good is Logan Thomas ... Really?

by Will Stewart

General Manager and Associate Editor

May 18, 2011

It's the spring, and everyone's undefeated. Optimism for the 2011 season abounds. Recruiting is in full swing and will dominate the story lines for the next two months, and the current Hokie players are taking some down time before they return in force for second summer session in July. It's a good time to ask: How good is Logan Thomas ... really?

We can't know the answer to that, of course, until three years from now, when the clock winds down on the bowl game that closes out his career. Then we'll be able to place him in proper context among the greats, with names like Bob Schweickert, Don Strock, Maurice DeShazo, Jim Druckenmiller, Michael Vick, Bryan Randall and Tyrod Taylor.

But for now, we can play the game anyway. How good is Logan Thomas?

Logan Thomas is so good that he's Cam Newton-like. He's going to take the ACC by storm, then the country. He's 6-6, 245 and still growing, and soon he'll be 6-9, 300 pounds. If you happen to see him with his shirt off, and if you look real close, you'll see that his right arm is gradually morphing from a mere mortal "NFL arm" into a gleaming rocket launcher. Logan Thomas is changing into something more than human, and soon he'll announce that he has signed a multi-million dollar contract to star in the upcoming sequel Transformers: Revenge of the Converted Tight End.

He's made of pure awesome. Or so we're told.

We've been here before, dealing with high expectations, most recently leading up to the 2010 season opener against Boise State. I fell into the trap then (call me a sucker), so I'm leery of pumping up a team or a player before it or he hits the field.

But it's tempting with Logan Thomas. Stewart Mandel of Sports Illustrated already beat me to it, proclaiming in Ten Things We Learned This Spring that "Logan Thomas is Ready":

Normally, losing an accomplished four-year starting quarterback like Tyrod Taylor would be cause for panic, but in Blacksburg fans have been giddily awaiting the debut of Taylor's replacement -- and with good reason. Thomas, a 6-6, 245-pound redshirt sophomore, is a physical specimen with all the tools to be a big-time college quarterback. Coaches weren't sure what to expect in Thomas' first spring as the No. 1 guy, but three weeks later they were raving about his progress despite a pair of interceptions in the spring game. "I can't be more pleased with where he is right now," said position coach Mike O'Cain.

A twist to Thomas' ascension: O'Cain has taken over play-calling duties from offensive coordinator Bryan Stinespring, a subject of constant fan criticism the past several years. It will be interesting to see how the former NC State coach maximizes his quarterback's abilities.

At #7 in a list of national storylines, that gets you pretty pumped at first glance. Then Mandel loses a chunk of credibility with "#8: Freshmen will boost the Irish." He sure is putting a lot of faith in guys who have never played significant minutes, which is usually a recipe for disappointment. (See: Boise State 33, Virginia Tech 30 for reference.)

Point being, there's plenty of Logan Thomas hype to go around. So let's examine what we can and let the chips fall where they may.

The Measurables are There

In case you haven't heard, Logan Thomas is 6-6, 245, with a rocket for an arm. He's the biggest Virginia Tech quarterback ... ever. Jim Druckenmiller once walked past me at the Roanoke Airport, and I thought he was huge, and he was listed a mere 6-4, 223 his senior year, when he was 24 years old. Druck was a bull of a quarterback, and Thomas, as a redshirt sophomore and still just 19 years old (he turns 20 in July) can eat pancakes off Druckenmiller's head.

Sean Glennon isn't necessarily remembered as a big guy, but he was identical in size to Druckenmiller (6-4, 224) and, like Druckenmiller, set a couple of position records in the weight room. Don Strock was also decent-sized. I don't have Tech media guides from back in the day, but I've seen Strock listed at 6-5, 220 on pro-football-reference.com. That's not puny, and it was probably his pro playing weight. No one is going to confuse Strock, who came through college when weightlifting programs were mostly optional, with the beefier Druckenmiller, Thomas and even Glennon.

So when it comes to size, Logan Thomas stands alone among front-line VT quarterbacks. He's no burner and is not a scrambler, but at 4.65 in the forty, he's a better runner than Druckenmiller (and I'm guessing Strock) by far. Glennon posted a similar forty time as Thomas, but was never perceived as a runner.

Size, speed, arm strength ... physically, Logan Thomas is the real deal. He's the most advanced combination of size and speed the Hokies have ever had at quarterback.

His Career Arc Has Been Textbook

I've belabored this point before, but it bears repeating: for a college quarterback, Logan Thomas's career path has progressed in textbook fashion. You don't want quarterbacks playing as true freshmen. Bryan Randall and Tyrod Taylor were both pressed into service early, to the detriment of their careers.

Randall played sparingly as a true frosh in 2001, and it was a wasted year. He didn't hit his stride until mid-senior year in 2004, and another year would have been outstanding in his development. Tyrod Taylor also played as a true freshman in 2007 and spent two years running for his life, before he even got to think about slowing down and developing as a QB.

Riding the pine and getting your feet wet just a little as a redshirt freshman is a good recipe. Get used to wearing the uniform and signaling in the plays. Take a few snaps and feel the noise and the speed at field level, without having to play a lot in it. Thomas got to do this. Now he has three years to play significant minutes and should be reaching his maximum college potential as a redshirt senior.

Just as important: once it's your time, if you're the number one guy and everybody knows it, your career can progress rapidly. Instead of wasting time "competing" with other QB's, you get all the preparation as a starter. Starting as a redshirt sophomore will give Thomas three years to develop and hit his peak, and he will never have to look over his shoulder at the next guy. Fans will never clamor for the next guy while Logan Thomas is the starter, barring a shocking development.

Bryan Randall played behind Grant Noel for one year, then competed with him for a spring for the starting job. Then Randall dealt with platooning with Marcus Vick in 2003. Tyrod Taylor split time with Sean Glennon for two years, before he finally put Glennon behind him and could focus as the #1 guy. Logan Thomas has had no such distractions, no one dividing the attention he gets from the QB coach and offensive coordinator.

You couldn't ask for a better setup.

He Has a High Football IQ

Insiders are telling us that Thomas is picking up the offense faster than expected for a young quarterback, that he's got the fabled "high football IQ." Frank Beamer often says, "The game just makes sense to him," one of the highest forms of praise the hall of fame coach hands out. He uses it to indicate that a player is coming along quickly.

Has Beamer used that phrase with Logan Thomas? I'm not sure. But we're told that he's picking up the offense faster than Tyrod did, and Tyrod turned out to be a record-setting QB. And then there's the quote from Mike O'Cain above: "I can't be more pleased with where he is right now." No hemming, no hawing, just "he's doing great."

If you could pick one guy on your team to have a high football IQ, it would be your QB.

The Intangibles are There

"Whatever 'it' is, he's got it. This team is his team."

Those were the words of someone close to the team that we spoke to after spring football concluded.

Intangibles, by their nature, are hard to define, capture and quantify. It's one part leadership, one part physical presence, one part charisma, one part coolness under fire, one part focus ... I could go on and on. Primarily, Logan Thomas has the trust of his teammates, and they look to him as a leader.

Just listen to this quote from rising senior wide receiver Jarrett Boykin, courtesy of Kyle Tucker on April 20th:

"You can tell the difference from the first day of spring ball to now. Everything has gelled together and everything is moving quick and Logan's looking good out there. One day, I just sat back at practice and thought, 'Wow, this is going to be a franchise quarterback for an NFL team some day.' That's how impressed I've been."

Thomas has got other, subtle things you can't see, like strong moral character and perseverance. I heard him speak the day of the Spring Game at the breakfast put on by the Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA), and anyone who is asked to get up in front of that crowd is highly unlikely to be caught, say, drinking alcohol with underage girls, speeding down the highway with dope in the car, or getting in a drunken bar fight.

Cross those concerns off the list. No wasted energy here.

At that FCA breakfast, Thomas talked about arriving at Tech with every intention of being a tight end, the NFL in his future. He never played tight end in high school (wide receiver for a year, then two years as a QB), but the recruiting services and college coaches had somehow come to the consensus that his path to the big stage was as a tight end.

And then the VT coaches put him at quarterback. "I didn't want to play quarterback," he said bluntly. But instead of whining or mailing it in, he stuck with it and applied himself, and now he's got the reins of a top-20 program in his hands, an adoring fan base watching to see what comes next, and national writers for Sports Illustrated writing things like "Logan Thomas is Ready."

He's not even 20 yet, and he already leans into the face of adversity and bears down. That will come in handy when he throws his first pick for a touchdown. Sure, "being put at quarterback" isn't the worst thing that can happen to a kid, but remember, he doubted it and didn't want to do it. He learned some lessons in the process of sticking with it that will serve him later.

He Has Already Made Clutch Plays

The last piece of the puzzle for Logan Thomas is, "Can he do it in a game?" We have only gotten small glimpses at what he might be able to do in actual game situations, and there have been some good moments and many unremarkable ones.

Everyone remembers the touchdown catch against Wake Forest, when Thomas was brought in near the goal line and split out as a wide receiver, so quickly that hardly anyone noticed and the TV announcers were caught off guard? He made a great catch on a corner route. Catching passes is not his future, but it was a great play nonetheless, made with very little time to prepare.

And of course, there's the long third-down pass against Miami, on the road, in a pressure situation. Logan Thomas trotted onto the field, locked and loaded, and delivered a strike. It was a part of a huge, game-changing drive that set the tone for Tech's key win and was part of the reason Randy Shannon's team sputtered down the stretch and he was fired.

The rest of his year wasn't memorable: 12-of-26 passing, 107 yards, no TDs or INTs. I recall a dropped snap, in his first play in mop-up duty in the game against Central Michigan. But the plays against Wake Forest and Miami, especially the one against Miami, are confidence builders for a young man going into his first offseason as the heir apparent. They were small moments in time, but they're valuable building blocks.

So, How Good is Logan Thomas ... Really?

For all that, the answer to the question "how good is he?" is still "we don't know." He has never been subjected to the rigors of running the offense for 65 plays a game, with no yellow jersey for protection, against defenses that have watched game film and specifically game planned to stop him. He has never had his bell rung, never been blindsided or had his ankle twisted, or been eye-gouged or kicked at the bottom of a pile.

His most successful moments, against Wake and Miami, have come at a moment's notice, with no time to reflect and have nerves set in. Logan Thomas has never lain awake in bed on a Friday night, wondering what's going to happen the next day, with game plans and strategies and checkdowns swirling through his mind, making it hard to go to sleep. He has never run out of the tunnel to "Enter Sandman" knowing that the first offensive snap, and every one after that, will be his. These things all change how a player approaches the game, when the theoretical becomes real.

But Logan Thomas does have the physical tools to succeed, and he appears to have the temperament and the intangibles. He has the trust of his teammates and coaches, and he has been well-prepared for what's coming. In a few months, we'll set the wheels in motion on his career and see where it takes the program.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 11:11 pm 

widetrak21 wrote:
Check starting at 3:30 for the throw, then 4:05 for another angle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy9Wa7rT6yU

That was an impressive throw "cold bore," but what does it mean that the song Rebecca Black's Friday was the featured video link at the top on the sidebar? :lol:

We shall see. You know me, I love scouting QBs. Always fun to see who the next stars in the NFL are going to be. That 2014 QB class looks interesting. Seen the Tennessee kid Bray, and he looks impressive. Same goes for BYU's Jake Heaps, Maryland's Danny O'Brien, Bama's AJ McCarron, and Georgia's Aaron Murray. Throw in "T-Magic" from Nebraska, COlt's little brother Case, Taj Boyd from Clemson, and Notre Dame's Tommy Rees, it'll be interesting to see which of these guys start to emerge this year or next year as the next big thing at the QB position.

I guess the good thing for Thomas is that if he doesn't quite live up to expectations as a QB, he'll still have a chance to move back to TE in the pros.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:41 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
We shall see. You know me, I love scouting QBs. Always fun to see who the next stars in the NFL are going to be. That 2014 QB class looks interesting. Seen the Tennessee kid Bray, and he looks impressive. Same goes for BYU's Jake Heaps, Maryland's Danny O'Brien, Bama's AJ McCarron, and Georgia's Aaron Murray. Throw in "T-Magic" from Nebraska, COlt's little brother Case, Taj Boyd from Clemson, and Notre Dame's Tommy Rees, it'll be interesting to see which of these guys start to emerge this year or next year as the next big thing at the QB position.

I don't know Bray, Heaps, Murray, Magic, Rees, which I suppose is most, but I'll be scoping them also. Boyd is intereting, but I don't think he's gonna be very good from what I know thus far. He is sorta supposed to be a mobile qb (vt recruited him lightly), but his spring pick dude looked 25 lbs overweight. O'Brien is a good looking prospect, but I didn't see him up close as vt didn't play umd last year. I do know something like 7 acc qb's this year are from the state of VA, and talent wise could improve the league overall. ACC has actually had more or equivalent NFL drafted talent, but lack of good coaching and qb play has made it vt's league to lose practically annually,.

Quote:
I guess the good thing for Thomas is that if he doesn't quite live up to expectations as a QB, he'll still have a chance to move back to TE in the pros

He could, but I'd be willing to say thats a very remote possibility he'll every have to. I think he very legitly has the goods, just needs some experience.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:55 pm 

I saw Boyd in their bowl game vs. USF, and he didn't look very good. But it was basically his 2nd game. So we'll see what he does this year.

It is interesting to see the "rise" of the VA quarterback. Alabama's other QB (Phillip Sims) is from Hampton Roads (same HS as Greg Boone in Chesapeake). He's a redshirt frosh, and he went to the same high school as my cousin. Complete side note, I remember last Christmas after his first semester in Tuscaloosa, my aunt was telling a story after talking with his folks a few days before. Supposedly, he didn't like Tuscaloosa too much. And the reason was because "too many white people." :roll:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:25 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
It is interesting to see the "rise" of the VA quarterback. Alabama's other QB (Phillip Sims) is from Hampton Roads (same HS as Greg Boone in Chesapeake). He's a redshirt frosh, and he went to the same high school as my cousin. Complete side note, I remember last Christmas after his first semester in Tuscaloosa, my aunt was telling a story after talking with his folks a few days before. Supposedly, he didn't like Tuscaloosa too much. And the reason was because "too many white people."

Sims was the #1 prospect out of Virginia two years ago, he's legit. VT wanted him, but he was bound and determined to head out of state :clap: . Funny :shock: , now he realizes theres rednecks in Alabama? If he continued his play from what he did in HS, McCarren might not hold him off, esp in the long run.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:59 pm 

I just thought it was goofy because until USC's satellite campus in Compton, or MIchigan's satellite in Downtown Detroit become national football powerhouses :hihi: , if you want to play big boy college football it's gonna be stuck in an area where a lot of people of the Caucasian persuasion hang out.

Yeah, last I heard about that battle, he and McCarron were neck and neck. If Bama makes another title run this year, how that battle shakes out should be a huge reason. But that defense is pretty loaded even without Dareus. Always nice when you have roughly 10 guys on your team that could be Top 100 draft picks a year from now.

Pitt is loaded when they just have 3 of those guys.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:02 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

FYI as a followup on Demps, seems he didn't qualify fwiw. Still, a 996 for college is sick.

Quote:
• Jeff Demps, our No. 1-ranked player on the Freaks list, will not repeat as the NCAA's 100-meter champ this year. According to the Orlando Sentinel, the Gators running back failed to qualify for the finals during prelims Wednesday, finishing 14th. He finished third in the slowest of three heats, with a time of 10.40 seconds.

Demps entered the event as a favorite to win it with his wind-aided time of 9.96 seconds as the fastest in the country this year.

David Wilson just competed today in the NCAA Track and Field Outdoor Championships in the Triple Jump. Looks like he finished 6th overall in the country (jump of 53,1,1/4). Only a couple inches behind the winner, and VT has another sweet jumper that finished 4th (beat him by 2 inches). Only reason I post it other than its freaky to be this good at football, and then something more random like the triple jump. I read an article this week that had the coach commenting on Wilson vs. the other VT guy Hasheem Halim. Halim goes about 175, Wilson 205. It was crazy to hear him explain how much faster and explosive Wilson has to be to carry another 30 pounds the same distance as the guys who are naturals in the 175 range. Basically the best use mostly technique, and that Wilson is doing it off of pure athleticism, as he is still learning technique.

http://www.ncaa.com/content/di-outdoor- ... ve-results