PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:33 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

MARKUS WHITE
6-4/266
Florida State Senior
40: 4.82

PROS:

Has a pretty good first step and flashes the shoulder dip to get under blockers' pads and turn the corner. Has a pretty good motor and will give chase downfield. Can make stops on the backside pursuit as well. Has experience dropping off in coverage on zone blitzes, and shows athleticism to move in space. Can break down and make the open field tackle in space.

CONS:

Undersized end that gets pushed around quite a bit by bigger tackles. Gets engulfed at the point of attack and struggles to get leverage vs. the run. Gets too far upfield at times and will get caught out of position vs. the cutback and counter play. Tries to run around blocks too much, and needs to better use his hands to disengage and get off blocks. Too easily redirected as a pass rusher because of his lack of size. Doesn't have great straight-line speed and burst to finish plays, and it also shows when he's working in space and coverage.

OVERVIEW:

White is a tweener. He is too small to play end, but a step too slow to really like him as a linebacker. I think he's a better fit for the latter, but with work, I think he can be acceptable as an NFL end as well. A two-year starter that combined for 102 tackles, 23 tackles for loss, and 10 sacks in that span. A JUCO transfer after his freshman year at BUtler CC where he led the nation with 24.5 sacks and 6 forced fumbles, also adding 39 tackles for loss and 97 tackles that year.

NFL FORECAST:

White was listed around 260 at Florida State, and if he were to play in the 250-255 pound range, I think he would be a good fit as a 3-4 outside linebacker. He's a work in progress as far as defending the run and playing in coverage, but his ability as a pass rusher makes him a decent developmental option. Problem is that he'll likely need at least two or three years of sitting the bench before you can really expect him to start to make an impact there. On a team that is going to use him as a situational rusher off the edge, then he could be decent there. But at this juncture, he's a one-note edge rusher that doesn't have the consistent burst to be an impact pass rusher. Even if developed as an OLB, he's probably just a 3-5 sack guy off the corner. On the other hand, if he continues to get bigger and stronger and plays around 265-270 pound range, he's a better fit at defensive end. And I think he can impact a bit quicker there. He'll never be a great run defender, but has just enough burst that he'll occasionally make some sacks. Again, even so, you're probably talking about a rotational end that ultimately gets 2-4 sacks a year. He needs to get bigger and stronger vs. the run, and develop his hands and technique to be a significant part of a rotation. But at least there, one would think that by the end of his second season he could potentially gain some meaningful reps and minutes. Ultimately, I think he can be a fourth DE in a 4-3 rotation that can give a team 20-30 reps a game. Because teams emphasize the pass rush so much, he'll get opportunities. I just don't know if he'll fully take advantage of them. I think he's good enough to be a No. 4 DE on most 4-3 teams, but I'm not sure if he'll be good enough that he'll last more than a year or two with each. And ultimately I see him as a journeyman that bounces around the league for five or six years, never really sticking in one place.

ATL FORECAST:

White can come in and compete in Atlanta and potentially land a rotational spot down the road. He's not going to do much as a rookie, and the best he can hope for is landing a practice squad spot and hope that a year or two down the line he can flip that into getting the No. 4 spot. I don't know if he's a guy that can stick, but he's a good competition guy that can push another player to make sure they earn their job.

VALUE:

White has enough developmental potential and ability as a rotational guy that he merits a look in the 7th round for both 3-4 and 4-3 teams.

SKILLS
1-poor, 2-weak, 3-above average, 4-very good, 5-elite

Strength: 2.0
Quickness: 3.5
Pass Rush: 3.0
Point Of Attack: 2.0
Recognition: 2.5
Motor: 3.0

Profile E-mail