It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:03 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HBO Auburn Cheating Show Tonight (3/30/2011)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:12 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I'd watch the HBO special on Auburn tonight, 3-4 former players blowing the whistle about how they got paid during college, etc.

Auburn, Ohio St, UNC, USC, this problem needs a macktruck off ramp at this point. Maybe something legitimate will get unearthed tonight and lead to something, but I'm not gonna hold my breath...

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011 ... t_209.html

Quote:
Again, it's important to remember that we're discussing a leaked transcript of a TV show that has yet to air, but if the transcript is correct and the multiple allegations it contains are true, this is not about the messenger. It's about the message.

Post subject: Re: HBO Auburn Cheating Show Tonight (3/30/2011)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:06 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
The Real Sports show also quotes Chaz Ramsey and Troy Reddick. The allegations made by McClover and Reddick are outside of the NCAA' s standard statute of limitations, though exceptions can be made if the NCAA finds systematic cheating by a school.

:roll:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:14 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Nobody watched??

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:11 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Sorry, nope. I'm assuming it's on HBO On Demand, and I'll probably check it out at some point... :oops:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:04 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Definitely go ondemand it when you get a chance. The show story portions were really interesting, esp McClover's part. I found the panel part pretty worthless, so I'd fast forward through that.

I think the one nugget I heard which makes me feel even worse about this exploding problem....

the ncaa has 44, count that forty-four, agents that work on things of this nature. theres over 1000 ncaa schools. they'd have a tough time simply covering sec football with those numbers, let alone policing this 800 lb. gorilla.

unless the school presidents come up with a new idea, I see NO WAY this gets better anytime soon unfortunatley.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:18 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Another MB I frequent had this post about has college sports soured some for you the last years plus. I'd say 95% of the posters felt that it had, and only continue to feel worse about the run away train. On top of that a slow ncaa may at this point be encouraging more cheating by not dropping the justice hammer in a timely manner. Either way I thought this summed that point up well...

Quote:
Here's what it boils down to for me: Auburn won the national
championship with a QB (and apparently many other players) who was
bought and paid for. Don't tell me otherwise ... if Cecil was shopping
Cam to Miss. State, he sure as hell shopped him to Auburn and found a
willing buyer.

They won it over a team that receives Nike money, and who apparently
paid some of that Nike money to a "recruiting service." Or something
like that. I can't keep track of it all anymore.

The final four features Kentucky, with coach John Calipari, whose name
is synonymous with "vacated victories." (UMass and Kentucky) On the
same side of the bracket is UConn, with coach Jim Calhoun, who was
disciplined by the NCAA just last month.

I'm rooting for Butler and VCU, who I assume don't cheat, but who knows?

But I'm sick of seeing the championships played for and won by teams
that cheat, in bowl games that are run by slimy committees who blow
money on strippers, cruises, and lavish birthday parties. Meanwhile,
Dez Bryant and Terrelle Pryor get slapped down hard for minor
offenses, while Pryor's coach lies to the NCAA and loses 5% of his $5
million salary as a result.

I could go on. You get the idea.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:25 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

:down:

http://deadspin.com/#!5784437

Collins, it turned out, was holding a lot more than just a grudge. He told me he still had reams of transcripts of NCAA testimony related to the Thomas affair, and then he issued a warning.

"Believe me, I keep them in a vault," Collins said. "I'll never let them burn up. If a fire comes up into my house, they are in a burn-proof vault. And I tell [Pearl]: Every time you want to toss mud, we'll toss. Otherwise, you keep my name out of your mouth and I'll keep your name out of mine."

Now, it seems, everyone is tossing mud at Bruce Pearl, who was fired yesterday by Tennessee. For much of his career, no two people could agree on what Pearl was, exactly. A fink? A whistleblower? A cheat like any other? A trailblazer? But with Friday's blowout loss to Michigan, and with this fall's revelation that he had lied to NCAA investigators looking into his recruiting activities, Pearl looks like the two things a college basketball coach is not permitted to be, at least not simultaneously: a crook and a loser.

In the wake of Pearl's firing, it's worth revisiting that seminal moment in his career, the Deon Thomas recruiting saga, from which we've obtained a number of little-seen and revealing documents. It may not have been the most important sports scandal in recent memory. Given what's happened at Tennessee, it may not have even been the most important sports scandal to involve Pearl. But it was a model scandal. It had all the elements. It was Cam Newton and Renardo Sidney and O.J. Mayo and Blue Chips, all rolled into one and topped off with a touch of Nixonian spycraft. No one came off well: not Pearl, who'd broken a kind of coaching omerta; not Collins, who was labeled a cheat at a time when Illinois's rivals around the Midwest were trying to lay recruiting inroads in Chicago; not Thomas, who looked like another kid with his hand out; not Thomas's supposed best friend, who acted as Pearl's snoop; not Mike Slive, who was then a lawyer hired (and subsequently fired) by Illinois and who is now SEC commissioner; not Randy Rueckert, a former NCAA investigator, who once allegedly hounded Deon Thomas up and down the sidelines of a pickup game; not Rich Hilliard, the former head of the NCAA's enforcement staff, who was a college friend of Pearl's and who would have some trouble of his own staying on the right side of the rules. Even two decades on, it still has something to teach us — about Pearl, yes, but especially about the nature of that burn-proof vault of yellowing secrets known as the NCAA.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:19 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

:naughty: VERY interesting read on Jim "Cheaty McSweater Vest" Tressel. I didn't know about that old Youngstown State stuff.

http://www.foxsportsohio.com/04/04/11/T ... eedID=3725

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:35 am 

All this NCAA cheating stuff is getting to a point where the baseball steroids thing got for me, I don't care anymore. The system is corrupt, and the crusades to try and fix it are just naive. The moral outrage is laughable at this point.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:25 am 

Pudge wrote:
All this NCAA cheating stuff is getting to a point where the baseball steroids thing got for me, I don't care anymore. The system is corrupt, and the crusades to try and fix it are just naive. The moral outrage is laughable at this point.

That's why I follow women's basketball and softball. You don't here all this stuff about women athletes. :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:13 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Add another log to the college sports compliance fire, 7 v 7, AAU style football squads...the next big "issue".

http://www.statecollege.com/news/column ... s-709390/#