Purveyor of Truth & Justice

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFL ... a-445.html

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Carmichael clocks 4.39 at Tech pro day
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:59 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Tks for posting, I hadn't seen any numbers yet.

Code:
Rashad Carmichael ran the 40-yard dash in 4.39 seconds and running back Ryan Williams was clocked between 4.45 and 4.49

Much better times for Ryan than at the combine, he should be creeping back up a lot of boards with those. This is considering he added a little more weight in the offseason too than what I think he normally played at. If he still goes in round 2+ then somebodies gonna be really happy in the long run.

Carmichael's always been very fast, was prob the fastest on the team last year minus David Wilson. I also thought he should some of the better change of direction quickness at the combine as well.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:01 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

This is the dude for radars in 2012 fwiw @ RB...

Quote:
David Wilson was Virginia Tech's best running back at the end of the season, in my opinion. Out of Tech's three talented backs in 2010, Wilson has the best combination of speed, strength and overall athleticism. As expected, he completely blew up during offseason testing in the strength and conditioning program.

40.5" vertical (2nd on the team)
1.63 10 yard dash (1st on the team)
445-lbs front squat (5th on the team, position record)
346-lbs power clean (5th on the team, position record)
4.29 40 yard dash (1st on the team)
3.85 NFL Shuttle (1st on the team)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:44 am 

It's going to be interesting to see what Wilson does this year, now that he's the lone guy in the backfield. I wasn't overly impressed with him this past year. Explosive yes, but didn't seem quite natural as a runner in comparison to past Tech backs that I thought shined a bit more as freshman like Evans, Williams, Jones, etc.

Wilson seems much more like a track guy playing RB, than a RB that is also a track guy. But we'll have to see how that plays out this year, since I suspect VT will be leaning heavily on him.

As for Williams, I've always thought there was a slim chance he went #25 to Seattle or #28 to New England, but he probably needed a really strong Combine for that to happen.

Instead, he'll probably go somewhere in the middle of the 2nd round. #41 to Washington, or #47 to St. Louis would be two very good spots for him. Hopefully we don't see him fall to like Tampa Bay or the Saints.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:39 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Wilson is a track/triple jump guy, but he is soooo much more than just that. He's done some crazy athletic stuff beyond track too, like literally running up the side columns of Cassel Coliseum, 10 backflips in a row, etc, see the below excerpt.

I'm not sure who to compare him to athetically. A rare combo of uberspeed yet power. This is a kid that has worn a tie to school since high school, even now the same at VT, when have you ever heard that?

I agree, I thought he took some time to adjust to our blocking scheme as its not what he ran in HS at all (and it really did worry me initially). Some of the other income Fr were more familiar w/ the scheme and hit the ground running. Whats happening now is he's adjusted his pad level and gotten in sync w/ the scheme too, that was apparent by the end of last year. Now the beautiful part is he can just let it loose now, but with 20 carries a game this kid is gonna avg a sick amt of yards. He's a legit home run threat every touch, yet I'm almost more impressed with his leg drive/power/fall forwardness. You look at the weight lift numbers and the bear that out I think. He and Logan Thomas...can't wait!

Athletic excepts worth reading...
http://hamptonroads.com/2010/12/va-tech ... r-jokester
Quote:
The thing about David Wilson is that everybody has a David Wilson story.

You might first notice the wide, white smile that never seems to disappear from his soldier-square face. Or the Hershel Walker-esque physique. Or the shirt, tie and overcoat - with the occasional fedora - that the Virginia Tech sophomore wears to class every day, standing out among pajama-clad peers like an Armani suit in a thrift store.

But after that, if you ask around, you'll discover that with each mention of Wilson, a budding star tailback for the Hokies' football team, comes a spontaneous burst of laughter. Then a story.

Like the night last summer when Wilson was walking with teammate J.R. Collins past the school's basketball arena. Cassell Coliseum has concrete arches rising nearly 100 feet from the ground to the roof.

"David was like, 'Think I could climb it?' " Collins said. "The way it's built, I didn't think he could. But he started climbing."

Wilson's sprinter's speed - a reported 4.29 in the 40 - carried him halfway up one arch. Then it got dicey. It was after 10 p.m. and with moisture forming on the arch, he considered aborting.

Instead, his guiding philosophy kicked in: "I'll worry later," he thought. "Gotta get to the top."

Getting over the hump in the arch required more power than finesse. Luckily, Wilson has thighs powerful enough to propel him through endless back flips, which he learned at age 4.

Before Virginia Tech's game Saturday, Wilson ripped off 10 consecutive flips - representative of the Hokies' impending 10th consecutive victory. He's also a former high school national champion in the triple jump and owns a Tech tailback record in the power clean.

Wilson summoned all his skills to scale the final feet onto the roof of the arena that night. A police car drove by as he got to the top. Wilson ducked down to hide.

"People would see that and panic, like, 'Oh, no! He's going to jump!' And then fire trucks would've come and an ambulance," Wilson said. "I didn't want that. I just thought the view would be nice up there."

Down below, Collins turned on his phone's video recorder and captured Wilson's descent. He knew no one would believe it otherwise.

Wilson crab-walked on his hands and feet halfway down, then rode the arch like a slide the rest of the way.

"He looked like Sonic the Hedgehog," said Collins, referencing an acrobatic video-game character whose every movement is in hyper-speed. "I can't say I've ever met anybody like David."

That's the general consensus on Tech's dynamic young playmaker, He is delightfully different.

There's the story of Wilson hanging from the goal post while Hokies kickers tried field goals during practice. Of Wilson pretending to conduct the band after games - he believes he could fill in, for real, in a pinch.

Wilson dances at practice and has memorized an entire stand-up routine by comedian Kevin Hart that he recites to teammates, unprompted, often at inappropriate times. Like while his position coach, Billy Hite, is conducting meetings. Wilson also sings gospel hymns, rap songs and children's melodies.

"One day I'm up there talking at the board and I hear something. What the hell is that?" Hite said. "And he's back there singing. He's not disrespectful. Just silly."

At a recent practice, Wilson was goofing off, trying to dunk a football over the goal post and was nearly run over by an equipment truck he didn't see.

"He doesn't realize there's a time to be serious and there's a time to play around," Hite said. "But you've got to love the kid. He's never had a bad day in his life.

"Whatever he's on, I want some."

Three weeks ago, Wilson was on medicine for mononucleosis. He had a sore throat and headache the night before Tech hosted Georgia Tech on Nov. 4. But he hadn't yet been diagnosed, so he played.

After the Yellow Jackets tied the game with 2:34 left, Wilson fielded a kickoff and exploded down the sideline, stiff-arming the kicker on his way to a 90-yard touchdown return that won the game.

"I guess adrenaline took over," he said.

Two days later, doctors told him he had mono and he'd have to miss a few games. That illness saps strength and can sideline people for a month or more. Normal people, anyway.

Wilson disagreed with his prognosis, said he felt fine in days. Tech coaches banished him from the team for a week to protect other players, but Wilson showed up at practice anyway.

"I was bored," he said, "and I wasn't sick."

He rode laps around the field on his bicycle, watched drills through the fence.

"I thought that was abnormal," said tailback Darren Evans, who compared Wilson's zeal to that of his 4-year-old son. "It's like a really little kid with a lot of energy trapped into a grown man's body."

Just oozing energy...
http://firebryanstinespring.blogspot.co ... -moxy.html

Some pretty serious track accomplishments for a legit future nfl back imo... Not a THolliday type what so ever.

http://www.hokiesports.com/track/player ... david.html
Quote:
2010 Outdoor: Ran the third leg on Tech’s ACC 400-Meter Relay squad, helping earn them a second-place finish and a new school record at 40.56 … Took fourth place in the Triple Jump at the ACC Championships, earning points for Tech while meeting a career-best distance of 51-5.5 (15.68m) … Earned first place Triple Jump finishes at the Miami Invitational (49-9.5, 15.18m) and Liberty Twilight (49-9, 15.16m) … Finished 10th at the ACC Championships in the Long Jump (22-5.25, 6.84m) … Ran third leg on second-place 400-Meter Relay teams at Miami Invitational (41.71) and Yellow Jacket Invite (42.02).

2010 Indoor: Won the Triple Jump at the Hokie Invitational with a personal-best provisional qualifying distance of 51-5 (15.67m) … Took fourth place at the ACC Championships in the Triple Jump (50-4, 15.34m) … Placed third at the VT Challenge in the Long Jump with a career-best leap of 23-8.75 (7.23m) … Also competed in the 60-Meter Dash.

2009 Football: Played football for the Hokies in the fall and participated in every game as a true freshman ... Tied for third on the team in rushing with 301 yards on 52 carries ... Had a team-leading 17 kickoff returns for 325 yards, an average of 19.1 yards per return going into the Chick-Fil-A Bowl ... Led the team in the Marshall game with 165 yards rushing on just 12 carries ... Scored on a 36-yard run ... Scored a touchdown on a 1-yard run and picked up 34 yards on 13 carries against Boston College ... Picked up 54 yards on five carries at Virginia, scoring on a 10-yard run.

High School: Won national championship in the triple jump at the Nike Indoor Meet with a meet-record and prep-best leap of 51-05.75 ... Captured two state championships, regional crowns and district titles in the triple jump in his prep career ... Received All-state Honors as a sophomore as well ... An all-district runner his freshman year.

Youtubes...
mixtape
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=398jZa4GiBw

uberspeed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvP5My9P ... re=related