PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:09 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

DAVON HOUSE
6-1/200
New Mexico State
40: 4.50

PROS:

Is comfortable playing in press coverage. Shows potential to play well in off coverage as well. Has good hips and does a nice job turning and running with receivers. Does a nice job keeping things in front of him. Shows ball skills to break on the throw in front of him. Can turn and locate the ball on the deep throw. Contributes in run support, breaking down and wrapping up against the back in the flat.

CONS:

Needs to polish up his technique and footwork, particularly when working in press coverage. Will open up his hips a bit too early when coming out of his backpedal. Not a strong tackler and tends to tackle high, which leads to missed stops in run support. Takes some poor angles to the ball and not consistently able to bring down the receiver after the catch. Gives up too much cushion at times. Needs to do a better job getting off blocks downfield.

OVERVIEW:

House has tools you like to see, with good size, speed to match up. He plays predominantly press coverage, but he looked a little bit sharper and better from what I saw in off coverage in terms of his footwork and technique. He isn't as competent in run support as a player with his size usually is. Productive player in the WAC that went under the radar as a high school recruit because he didn't start playing football until his junior year. Was a four-year starter at New Mexico State, combining for 202 tackles, 4 for loss, 11 interceptions, 37 pass breakups, and 4 defensive touchdowns during his career.

NFL FORECAST:

I'm confident that if House can polish up his technique and footwork to a more consistent level, then he can be a starting corner in the NFL. He has the size and hips you want in a press corner, but can also play in off coverage. He has the potential to play in zone as well. He is basically a player that can work in a variety of schemes. Because he's not quite the polished guy, I think he's going to spend the early part of his career in the nickel. But by his third or fourth year, he should be ready to become a competent starter. He contributes in run support, but he's not really good there. But he's good enough to get the job done. He'll definitely add depth to a secondary and should be a capable nickel corner. The question of course is just whether he makes the consistent improvement going forward to get to a point where he can be a trusted starter. I think he's probably a No. 2 corner rather than a No. 1 guy in the future. He just doesn't do anything well enough to make me think he can match up with elite receivers. You like the fact that he's still fairly young in his football career, and with NFL-caliber coaching, you feel that his best football is still ahead of him.

ATL FORECAST:

House can work in Atlanta because his size and potential to play in press. He could fit well opposite Robinson at left cornerback, his primary position in college, and give the team a pair of solid press corners. In the meantime, he can compete for a nickel spot, but I don't expect him to do much there as a rookie. He doesn't come to Atlanta with considerably more skill than Owens or Franks did coming out of college, so like those two, he's likely to sit for most if not all of his rookie season and just play on special teams. If he shows improvement, then he can start to contribute in his second and third year. I wouldn't expect a whole lot from him his first two or so years in Atlanta beyond adding depth and helping out on special teams. But he has the tools that with development, by his third or fourth year he could slide into a key reserve spot or potentially starting spot on the outside.

VALUE:

House has enough upside as a starter to get looks in the early part of the third round.

SKILLS
1-poor, 2-weak, 3-above average, 4-very good, 5-elite

Speed: 3.5
Man Coverage: 3.5
Zone Coverage: 3.0
Tackling: 2.5
Ball Skills: 3.0

Profile E-mail