PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:34 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

DeMARCUS LOVE
6-5/318
Arkansas Senior
40: 5.15 (estimated)

PROS:

Gets into his set pretty quickly, sets up and can deliver a nice punch. Initiates contact in pass protection. Can redirect speed rusher wide around the pocket. Shows ability to adjust in space and adjust to inside move. Has some pop and uses his size to get position. Works well in a short area. Shows some ability as a drive blocker. Can make the kick out block as well as setting the edge. Does a nice job getting on the second level and making the seal block. Shows some ability to pull and can cut block. Finishes his blocks and plays with good mean streak. =

CONS:

Inconsistent in most areas. Doesn't always show ideal foot quickness to match up with speed. Doesn't always stay square. Doesn't always get good depth and whiffs on his punch. Gives up the inside move too often, either by getting too wide or because doesn't do a good job with his hands on the edge. Will overextend at times in pass protection, losing leverage. Needs to do a better job keeping his balance when blocking on the move, and doesn't have ideal athleticism there. Gets blown off the ball at times, and needs to improve his base as he'll get knocked back off the edge. Will miss some blocks and assignments as a run blocker, taking some poor angles. Needs to show quicker hands when working as a run blocker and do a better job getting his hands inside.

OVERVIEW:

Love played weakside tackle for Arkansas this past year, which corresponds to left tackle in most offenses. He was the strongside tackle as a junior. He played strongside guard as a sophomore with 8 starts. He started the final 3 games as a freshman at right guard. He's a player that projects best in a zone blocking scheme, and is not as effective when asked to block on an island. But you like his toughness, physicality, and shows some on-field leadership, getting into the faces of teammates when they make mistakes.

NFL FORECAST:

Love is going to find a place in the NFL, although it probably doesn't appear to be as a left tackle. He can play there, but I don't think he'll be able to stick there long-term unless he's playing in a run-oriented zone blocking scheme. He can also play right tackle, and his experience playing in the weakside/strongside system at Arkansas gives him good versatility there. I also think he could make a better guard since he doesn't have the greatest footwork on the outside, but even there he needs to polish up his hands and his technique. But he is a player that I'm confident is going to stick as a starter somewhere, probably most likely as either a right tackle or left guard long-term. But his versatility to play multiple positions should keep him in the league as a starter, but I'm not sure he'll be a top starter. The type of player I see him becoming is a guy like Robert Gallery that can be a solid to good starter in a zone blocking scheme, but limited from being a top-level blocker. He is good enough to compete right away for a starting position, but probably won't really start to have his NFL career take off until his third or fourth year as he works on his technique.

ATL FORECAST:

Love could work in Atlanta, although he probably isn't a guy that is going to upgrade the current group. But he could come in right away and compete as a starter for one of the guard spots if either Blalock or Dahl are let go, or as a potential replacement at right tackle if Clabo leaves. His versatility would be a good asset in Atlanta, but I don't think he would be a good candidate to start right away, and more than likely long-term he's not going to be a lot better in the starting lineup than someone like Blalock was. If he can improve his technique and become a more consistent blocker, he could be an upgrade, and I think would probably work best playing left guard in the Falcons scheme. But he doesn't offer a ton of upside to be confident he'll stick long-term as a starter, but would at least be a solid versatile reserve.

VALUE:

He has good starting potential and is a solid third round value. He could sneak into the latter part of the second round because of his versatility to play multiple positions and if a team really likes him as a guard candidate.

SKILLS:
1-poor, 2-weak, 3-above average, 4-very good, 5-elite

Strength: 3.5
Pass Blocking: 3.0
Run Blocking: 3.5
Footwork: 3.0
Technique: 3.0
Mobility: 3.0
Mean Streak: 3.5

Profile E-mail