PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:01 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

NATHAN ENDERLE
6-4/242
Idaho Senior
40: 4.95 (estimated)

PROS:

Has a strong arm with good zip that can thread the needle at times and fit it into tight windows. Shows good potential on the vertical routes and can fire a dart on the deep out. Shows some ability to pick up yards with his legs when the pass breaks down.

CONS:

Lacks great accuracy and touch, and tends to miss too much on the shorter throws. Doesn't lead guys over the middle and will miss on his throws down the field, lacking ideal touch. Holds onto the ball too long, and lacks anticipation. Trusts his arm too much and will force throws into coverage. He'll stare down his first read and wait for guys to get open. Doesn't always set his feet, throwing off his back foot. Doesn't show a great feel for pressure in the pocket, and can be flat-footed not able to step up and avoid the pressure. Not as effective when you force him to move around. Can take some shots and will get happy feet later in the game because of it. Will make some bone-headed decisions at times.

OVERVIEW:

Enderle first got on my radar, with an impressive late-game performance in last year's bowl game with a very good game-winning drive. But in re-watching that game later that summer, I realized that he did not show the sort of anticipation that I wanted to see, and was hopeful that would be an area that would improve this year. Not the case at all, and considering how poorly he played at times this year, I'm very skeptical about him as an NFL prospect at this point. It's not completely his fault, as they lost two of their top players from a year ago: OG Mike Iupati and WR Max Komar, and with more of Enderle shouldering the load, it wasn't enough. His best year was as a junior, leading team to 8-3 mark with 61.5% completions on 312 attempts for 2906 yards, 22 TDs, and 9 INTs. This past year, he completed 56.7% of 478 attempts for 3314 yards, 22 TDs, and 16 INTs. Struggled his first two years, combining for 3-17 record, completing 49.6% of 637 attempts for 3864 yards, 30 TDs, and 35 INTs.

NFL FORECAST:

Enderle is the type of prospect that wows scouts with his size and arm strength, and definitely looks the part of an NFL quarterback. Teams will like him more because he plays in a pro-style offense and actually takes snaps from under center. But I don't think he has the tools from the neck up or the intangibles to really be a factor in the pros. It wouldn't surprise me if he's completely washed out of the league by his third season. He's the type of guy that a decade ago would either wow with his arm at the combine or on a pro day and would get drafted in the middle rounds as a developmental project. He does have some talent, and if a team is willing to let him hold a clipboard for a number of years, he might be able to develop some. But I think he'll be a career backup and doesn't show the smarts, decision making, or intangibles to be anything more than a stopgap starter for a few games. The best you can probably hope for is he that he spends some time in a system, gets comfortable and then is able to expand that to being a Todd Collins-level backup. Collins has been able to extend his playing career probably a decade longer than he should have simply because of how comfortable he's been in the Al Saunders/Mike Martz offense. Probably the best you're hoping for as a starter is a poor man's Chad Henne, that in an offense that likes to stretch the field and will give him some protection with a good O-line and a strong running game, he can be an OK game manager. But at the end of the day his lack of improvement from his junior to senior year, the fact that he makes a ton of bad decisions and the fact that he can't get it done in the redzone suggest to me that he is a career backup. And unless a team falls in love with his physical tools I don't think is going to do enough on the field to stick beyond his rookie contract.

ATL FORECAST:

Enderle would be a fourth arm to bring to camp. The team might like his arm strength enough to give him a shot on the practice squad, but I don't see him leap frogging Wilson at any point because of Wilson's much better decision making. The best he could hope for is sticking as the No. 3 guy for a few years, but doesn't offer the long-term upside to think he could stick beyond two or three years until someone better comes along.

VALUE:

Enderle is probably a prospect that should go undrafted, but because of his physical tools some team looking for a No. 3 guy with a stable starter and backup probably could afford to take him in the seventh round and hope he shows some progress 2-3 years down the road.

SKILLS:
1-poor, 2-weak, 3-above average, 4-very good, 5-elite

Arm Strength: 4.0
Accuracy: 2.0
Mobility: 2.0
Decision Making: 1.5
Mechanics: 2.5
Pocket Awareness: 2.0
Intangibles: 2.0

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Nathan Enderle, QB, Idaho
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:22 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

Height: 6’4
Weight: 240
College: Idaho
40 Time: 5.00
Class: Senior
Stock:
Projected: 6th-FA

Stats

2010 – 269/476, 56.5%, 3292 yards, 6.9 YPA, 22 TD’s, 16 INT’s
2009 – 192/312, 61.5%, 2906 yards, 9.3 YPA, 22 TD’s, 9 INT’s
2008 – 184/339, 54.3%, 2077 yards, 6.1 YPA, 20 TD’s, 17 INT’s
2007 – 132/298, 44.3%, 1787 yards, 6.0 YPA, 10 TD’s, 18 INT’s

Overview:

If you’re looking for a late-round sleeper QB prospect, Nathan Enderle is your guy. He had a great Junior season but followed it up with a poor Senior year. The talent on his team did drop off and Enderle was not able to get back on track. He has all of the tools to be a great NFL QB, he just needs to be coached up because his technique needs some work. I think if he was surrounded by better talent, he would be pretty successful.

Scouting Report:

Positives

- Prototypical size
- 4 year starter, very experienced
- Takes a lot of snaps from under center
- Shows the ability to read defenses pre-snap and make checks at the line
- Does a good job of going through his progressions
- Clean release
- Stands tall in the pocket under pressure
- Will take a hit to make the throw
- Does a good job of feeling pressure
- Gets rid of the ball on time