Stock: Up
Projected: 2nd-3rd round

Stats

2010 – 74 tackles, 2.0 TFL, 2 PBU, 2 INT’s
2009 – 76 tackles, 2.0 TFL, 7 PBU, 3 INT’s
2008 – 88 tackles, 1.5 TFL, 4 PBU, 3 INT’s
2007 – 61 tackles, 1.0 TFL, 5 PBU, 1 INT

Overview:

Jaiquawn Jarrett is one of the top Safety prospects in this years draft. I absolutely love the way he plays. He is very physical and is a great run defender. On the other hand, he has the athleticism and awareness to make plays in coverage as well. He is a complete player that will work hard to get even better. If he played for a big time school, he would get much more recognition.

Scouting Report:

Positives

- 4 year starter, very experienced
- Good size
- Good athlete
- Great burst to the ball
- Changes directions easily
- Gets good depth from his back pedal
- Can recover if he takes a false step
- Good range in coverage
- Aware in zone coverage and reads the QB’s eyes well
- Solid ball skills, 9 career INT’s
- Great tackler
- Packs a punch as a hitter
- Comes down hard in run support
- Smart player, good instincts
- Patient and rarely over-pursues
- Tough, durable, and physical player
- Leader

Negatives

- Could add some more bulk and get stronger
- Level of competition may be a question mark
- Isn’t asked to play a lot of man coverage
- Will get washed out by lineman at times
- Needs to do a better job of shedding blocks overall
- Doesn’t offer much as a blitzer, although he is violent with blockers

Skills:
1-poor, 2-weak, 3-above average, 4-very good, 5-elite

Speed: 3.5
Tackling: 3.5
Coverage: 3.5
Ball Skills: 3.0
Range: 3.5
Pro Potential: 3.5

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Jaiquawn Jarrett, FS, Temple
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:28 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

JAIQUAWN JARRETT
6-0/196
Temple Senior
40: 4.55 (estimated)

PROS:

A good centerfielder that does a nice job in coverage. Keeps things in front of him and can jump routes over the middle. Shows some ability to match up against slot receivers with decent footwork and technique in man coverage. Willing to come up in run support and deliver hit on ballcarrier. Shows nice speed in pursuit and will take fairly good angles in space.

CONS:

Not super quick out of his breaks when it comes to playing in man coverage. Will take some poor angles to the ball at times. Can bite on misdirection and be caught out of position vs. the run. Doesn't always break down well when working in space at the point of attack.

OVERVIEW:

Jarrett was the top playmaker for Temple the past few years in the secondary and was a productive four-year starter. He combined for 238 tackles, 5.5 for loss, 8 interceptions, and 13 breakups over the past three seasons as a full-time starter. Playing centerfielder for them, he was also comfortable working in the box, but I think he projects better for the former role in the pros.

NFL FORECAST:

He probably isn't as big as you want him to be as a free safety, but I think he'll be able to handle that job well on the next level if he puts on a bit more muscle. I think he's more of a complementary starter than impact player at the next level, but should be a guy able to make some plays and be a factor on defense. He can make plays, but I think he needs to be a bit more disciplined vs. the run to really love his chances. In terms of his NFL potential, I think he can be a player like O.J. Atogwe that has enough ball skills to make plays in centerfield and be opportunistic, and is disciplined enough to be good most weeks, but not quite good enough to be one of the elite safeties in the league. If he can play beside a safety that can pick up the slack in run support that would allow him to be more opportunistic vs. the pass. I think he's proabbly smart enough to handle being a starter early in his career, but I wouldn't really expect to start to see him really grow into that role until his second or third season.

ATL FORECAST:

Jarrett could present a decent challenge to DeCoud. While not quite the run defender that DeCoud is, he probably has a bit more potential and better feel for coverage and playing centerfield in the Falcons scheme. He certainly would be a good insurance policy in case the Falcons chose not to re-sign DeCoud after this season, and his selection would likely indicate that the team does not plan to do so. And going forward, he might be a better fit for the more centerfield-oriented role that the free safety is likely to take with William Moore in the lineup, who can pick up Jarrett's slack in run support.

VALUE:

Jarrett doesn't have elite potential as a safety prospect, but would be a solid third round selection because he should be a solid starter.

SKILLS
1-poor, 2-weak, 3-above average, 4-very good, 5-elite

Speed: 3.0
Tackling: 3.0
Coverage: 3.5
Ball Skills: 3.0
Range: 3.0

Profile E-mail