Height: 6’8
Weight: 315
College: Colorado
40 Time: 4.90
Class: Senior
Stock: Down
Projected: 3rd Round

Overview:

Nate Solder is widely regarded as one of the best OT’s in college football. He has shot up draft boards and some draft sites have him rated as a 1st rounder. I must be out of the loop because when I turn on the tape of Solder, he really doesn’t impress me. He is athletic but he struggles to play with a good pad level because he is 6’8. He is outmatched by speed-rushers who easily blow by him and turn the corner. I can’t even imagine what NFL players would do to him. I can’t grade him any higher than a 3rd rounder, because right now he is nothing more than a developmental prospect that could start down the road.

Scouting Report:

Positives

- Great size
- Outstanding athlete
- Gets into his stance quickly
- Good run blocker
- Moves well in space
- Does a good job of getting to the 2nd level
- Can hit people in space because of his athleticism
- Doesn’t bend at the waist
- Seals the edge and is also a good down blocker
- Good potential

Negatives

- Needs to get stronger
- Doesn’t have quick feet to stick with speed-rushers
- Will get to deep and is susceptible to counter/inside moves that he struggles with
- Plays with poor leverage
- Gets bull-rushed too much because of his pad level and lack of strength
- Lacks a mean punch
- Poor use of his hands and struggles to stay engaged at times
- Will get called for holding quite a bit
- May be best suited as a RT only

Skills:
1-poor, 2-weak, 3-above average, 4-very good, 5-elite

Strength: 2.0
Pass Blocking: 2.5
Run Blocking: 3.0
Footwork: 2.5
Technique: 2.5
Mobility: 4.0
Mean Streak: 3.0
Pro Potential: 3.5

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Nate Solder, OT, Colorado
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:53 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

NATE SOLDER
6-8/314
Colorado Senior
40: 4.90 (estimated)

PROS:

A natural knee bender with good athleticism. Has quickness to mirror speed. Sets up quickly, and gets his hands up quickly to deliver punch and initiate contact consistently. Uses his long arms get extension on the edge and shows ability to lock on. Does a good job finishing his blocks, flashing some mean streak. If he doesn't hit his initial assignment, he'll come back and finish the play. Has potential s a drive blocker, with nice pop and able to show some good leg drive. Is quick to the second level and at times looks like a tight end when moving in space. Squares up and hits his assignments when pulling and shows potential as a cut blocker.

CONS:

Will come out high in short yardage, which limits how much push he can get. Height means defenders can get under his pads at times. Will miss some assignments on the 2nd level and when asked to pull outside. Will open up his stance too early at times and set up too deep, and doesn't do a great job adjusting in space. May not have elite quickness to match up with speed on the edge. Needs to improve his hand placement, and can be susceptible to holding when run blocking. Doesn't always delivering a good punch on the edge and will give up too much ground, getting jolted back.

OVERVIEW:

A three-year starter at left tackle for Colorado starting all 36 games over his final three years. A solid technician, that has been pencil-thin at times during his career. Came to CU as a 245-pound tight end, and made the switch to tackle as a sophomore. For his career, caught 3 passes for 50 yards in a single game as a freshman. Graduated with 3.5 GPA and did a lot of community service in Colorado, Guatemala, and Italy during his collegiate career.

NFL FORECAST:

There aren't really any major issues with Solder's technique, at least nothing that NFL-level coaching can't hammer out. His main issue for the past two years has been bulking up. Looked like he was barely over 300 in terms of his playing weight, but has the frame where he could easily support 325-330 pounds. He has good athleticism and technique to play the left side, but he's often covered up by a tight end at Colorado and I don't think he'd be great against premier NFL speed rushers. I think guys like Abraham and good bull rushers would give him trouble. He'd probably be more effective on the right side, as he reminds me a lot of Marc Colombo or a Michael Roos. I think the best way to develop him is to start him at right tackle, and then a year or two down the road you can move him the left side and should be better able to handle it. He'll work best in a zone blocking scheme, but has the tools to develop well in a man blocking scheme. He's not going to be an elite left tackle, but he can be above average. As a right tackle, again he's not going to be elite either. But he should be better because he'll be better matchup against left defensive ends than the undersized speed guys on the right side. If he can really improve his run blocking, by getting bigger and stronger you have a guy that can potentially be a Top 10 right tackle in his prime like Colombo is on his good days.

ATL FORECAST:

Solder would be a good developmental left tackle for the Falcons. He could step in right away at right tackle if the Falcons lost Clabo. He could push Baker for his starting spot as a rookie, but probably wouldn't win outright. However by his second year, he should be in a position to really give him a run for his money if not take the job outright. He's not going to be an elite left tackle in the Falcons scheme, but his superior size, strength, and arm length should allow him to be more consistent, especially against the premier defensive ends. In pass protection, he should be better than Baker but not by a huge degree. But his real value as a Falcons left tackle is the fact that if he can bulk up, he'll be a superior run blocker than Baker is which would make a better fit long-term.

VALUE:

Solder is a solid right tackle prospect with the potential to play the left side. He wouldn't be a major reach at the end of the first round, but he's more in line with early second round talent since he's not going to be an elite blocker at either tackle spot.

SKILLS:
1-poor, 2-weak, 3-above average, 4-very good, 5-elite

Strength: 3.0
Pass Blocking: 3.5
Run Blocking: 3.5
Footwork: 3.5
Technique: 4.0
Mobility: 3.5
Mean Streak: 3.5

Profile E-mail