It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:11 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: LUCK IS STAYING!!!!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:11 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

This is great news. Now Carolina doesn't get him.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: LUCK IS STAYING!!!!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:20 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

:clap: Sometimes breaks do go your way. Unless they were gonna realign the playoff formats this is a big break for the nfc south excluding carolina.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:48 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

What a dumb move :up:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:40 pm 

Agreed a dumb dumb move. :doh:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:55 pm 

The money he loses now, he'll make up on his 2nd contract.

Not to mention the potential that he could end up in a better organization than Carolina. Andrew Luck basically can hand pick his team right now. If he doesn't like who gets the No. 1 pick next year, he can stay for his senior year.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:17 pm 

Most likely Luck will be out of luck come his first contract since the new CBA should be in place with a rookie salary cap. Why wait and make all your money on a 2nd contract? The first one he could make up to around $55 million and also conider how it effected Leinart who lost millions staying at USC. Leinart would have gone 1,2,3 had he come out his junior year. Injury can happen and if it does he can keep going back.

It's good news for the Falcon's unless Carolina again gets the no1 pick. I don't think Clausen is the answer and wonder if they don't trade down or pick another QB who might jump up due to good workouts. I wonder if this will effect Steve Smith being dealt?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:59 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I understand people want to say how he's losing millions but really I don't think money is an issue to him. He did go to Stanford for a reason. He's a smart kid who knows he wants to get an education first. He's always said that if I'm correct. I think it's great he's sticking around and if he's truly as good as people say he'll be fine next year. Plus who's going to step up and overtake him next year? Luck will get his degree and still get paid next year. Look for Harbaugh to trade this year's pick with whatever team he goes to for a first next so he can trade up to get Luck next year. It's a work in progress...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:14 am 
Superstar
Superstar

He can go back to school when his career is over! Mark my words he will not be the # one pic next year, injury or maybe not having Harbaugh leading the team will f him. This moron gets what he deserves and that's gonna be millions less than he could in a bad economy.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:19 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Pudge wrote:
The money he loses now, he'll make up on his 2nd contract.

Not to mention the potential that he could end up in a better organization than Carolina. Andrew Luck basically can hand pick his team right now. If he doesn't like who gets the No. 1 pick next year, he can stay for his senior year.

By the way, do you think a good team will get the number 1 pic next year? Hope he likes Al Davis, or Wings...... oh and lets look at Matt Leihardts second contract,,,, Luck could end up here, poor coaching, surronding talent or injury can all get him. I hate seeing people make dumb career choices (I can't help it I'm an HR Manager :D )

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:58 am 

DaveWaz wrote:
Mark my words he will not be the # one pic next year, injury or maybe not having Harbaugh leading the team will f him.

Donny, you're out of your element. You don't have a clue what you're talking about.

People make such a big deal about going back for another year, using the Matt Leinart as an example. What about Sam Bradford, didn't hurt him. Because NFL teams aren't going to suddenly burn all of Luck's sophomore tape. Even if he struggles this year, NFL teams don't forget, just like they didn't with Bradford. Leinart lost millions because he COULD have been the No. 1 pick in a weak QB class, and could have gone to San Francisco instead of Alex Smith, or once NFL teams started to work him out, he could've fallen down the boards just like Aaron Rodgers did that year.

Comparing Luck and Leinart is laughable.

Luck has the ability to choose where he wants to play. What people forget is that twice we've had No. 1 overall picks basically make it so that the team that drafts them doesn't get them. John Elway and Eli Manning both did it. If the Raiders get the No. 1 pick, then Luck can refuse to go there.

Sure, is he losing money? Yeah, but we don't know how much. We don't know what the rookie cap is going to be on the new CBA. It may be that he might wind up only lose $1 million.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:07 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

It's an unusual move but with an NFL father as counsel and not really needing money in the more traditinal sense it will probably work out OK for him. Carolina may have s*** in their mess kit by showing their hand so early although it had to be assumed anyway and, as Pudge notes, he could have pulled a dick move like Elway of Eli and gone elsewhere were he drafted by Carolina. It sounds corny, bu tmoney isn't everything and barring some sort of catastrophic injury he'll be paid much more than any of us will make in a life time for his first week of work. I don't think it is the decision I would have made but it is sort of cool to see him do it. Carolina is in a position much like ATL was the year we drafted Aundray Bruce where you have the #1 pick and there isn't really a clear #1 guy out there. They will probably wind up overpaying someone and this is really why the premise that the bad teams are "rewarded" with high picks so seldom works out and why the same teams seem to always have high picks. Aside from the franchise qB--and this is the hardest assessment of all to make, I'd say--I'm not sure anyone is worth a #1 pick. :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:34 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

listen here pudgy....There is serious talk of a rookie salary cap, which on the NFL network they were stating could cost him $20-25 million, and that's if he stays as the #1 pic... and let's look at our boy William Moore, projected top ten, then injuries put him in the second round! This happens, and for what Harbaugh is gone, he can get his degree later. Stanford won't be nearly as good next year. Luck is pressing his last name big time

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:20 am 

That's only if there is no cap in place for this year's draft, which I'm sure if the owners and players have their say, they will hammer out a new CBA before April, which means there will be a cap in place for this year's draft. And thus he wouldn't lose any money by passing on this year's draft.

William Moore's stock didn't drop just because of injuries. His stock dropped because he didn't have as productive a senior season. He went from 10 picks as a junior and a future ballhawk to having 1 pick as a senior and struggling in coverage.

Plus, Moore is not a quarterback. The chances of Moore being a Top 10 pick were very low anyway because of the position he played.

QBs are high premium. And unless Andrew Luck is absolutely terrible or suffers a catastrophic injury, neither of which are likely to occur will he not be highly thought of next year. You have to remember many people consider Luck to be the best QB prospect in over a decade, if not several decades. NFL scouts aren't going to suddenly forget about that next year.

And when I say catastrophic, I mean catastrophic. We're talking Daunte Culpepper-level and he's going to miss around 18 or more months. Sam Bradford busted his throwing shoulder, and it didn't hurt his draft stock one bit.

Will Stanford be worse next year? Yeah, probably, but they still should be a 7 or 8-win team at the least sans Harbaugh and in a bowl game. They have their best WR (Owusu), best O-linemen (Martin & DeCastro), RB (Taylor) coming back on offense, so his production shouldn't drop off all that much. And defensively, while they'll lose some starters, they'll be keeping arguably their two best guys (Skov & Howell), so they are going to be fine.

Your belief that the Cardinal are just going to fall apart with Harbaugh suggests you either underrate their talent or overrate Harbaugh's coaching ability.

NFL teams always need QBs, thus a QB will always have the inside track for the No. 1 overall pick EVERY YEAR, and assuming Newton comes out this year, then there isn't going to be any serious contenders against Luck even if he has a down year.

There's only two possible guys that are good enough to think they have a shot at usurping Luck from the top spot: Landry Jones and Matt Barkley. But like Luck, both will be juniors as well, and thus have no reason to try and go head to head with Luck.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:22 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

The best prospect in several decades? OK...that's a bold statement. Show me the youtube clip of him walking on water.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:00 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Pudge wrote:
DaveWaz wrote:
Luck has the ability to choose where he wants to play. What people forget is that twice we've had No. 1 overall picks basically make it so that the team that drafts them doesn't get them. John Elway and Eli Manning both did it. If the Raiders get the No. 1 pick, then Luck can refuse to go there.

Bo Jackson did this as well. Of course, he had another option that most folks don't have.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:29 pm 

backnblack wrote:
The best prospect in several decades? OK...that's a bold statement. Show me the youtube clip of him walking on water.

Some say the best since Elway. That 28 years since Elway was drafted counts to me as several decades. :wink: Most say the best since Manning, or 13 years ago.

The point is we're not talking about Brian Brohm, Matt Leinart, or Jake Locker, all players that had serious questions about their games going into their senior years.

The only things that can really hurt Luck's stock are a late-season injury that will require major surgery and thus miss all of the off-season (and thus he won't be able to work out for teams, and thus give a player like Barkley/Jones a chance to pass him on some teams' boards), or if he throws a TON of interceptions. A simple increase won't hurt him too much because scouts will explain it away as Dave intimated in him trying to do too much with less talent around him.

Is Luck taking a risk? Absolutely. But it's not as big a risk as people make it out to be. And it's not dumb. Trying to become more mentally prepared for the rigors of the NFL is never a dumb move.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:40 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

He must be mighty good. Of course, the main thing that has changed is the hyper hype that goes along with darn near anything now. And, no, my memory isn't good enough to recount all the prospects of the past three decades to point out one better. If he got busted for an interstate dog fighting ring it might hurt his draft status. Probably happen.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:48 pm 

Personally, today I don't think he's as good as Matt Ryan, or at least I should say as polished as Matt Ryan when he came out in '08. But he's pretty close and if he makes a "normal" amount of progress over the next 12 months, he'll certainly pass Ryan.

I haven't been doing this forever, but since I've been paying attention for the past decade, Ryan, Palmer, and Eli Manning would have been my highest graded guys coming out. And Luck is in that class as a friggin' sophomore, so you can understand the hype around him.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:37 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Luck is more physical than all three of those guys from what I've seen. We'll see. The road to Canton is littered with the corpses of can't miss ingenues but people are certainly high on this guy. He has the genetic background and is clearly a bright and scholarly sort which bodes well for the NFL (no fun league) experience.