It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:31 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Early predictions
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:40 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I know it's still before the draft, so any predictions you make at this point are probbably moot.

But what really are people's expectations for this upcoming season, based on how the off-season has gone so far, and what you think wil happen over the next few months?

Do people expect the Falcons to be back in the NFC Championship again in 2005?

Is a 2nd division title wrapped up for us?

Are we definitely going to get that coveted 2nd consecutive winning season?

I'm curious to know what kind of expectations people are setting themselves up with this season.

At this point, I definitely could see 11-5 or 12-4 in the cards and another trip to the NFC Championship, but I'm not really holding my breath for that. I think another season like that is contingent on us staying even more healthy than we were last year.

Rather I see 9-7 as a more likely possibility, if you factor in a few injuries. I'm looking at our home schedule, and those are going to be some really tough games. Every game is with a team that is expected to be a challenger or shoe-in for a playoff spot. Those will be 8 or so games that will really test the character of this team again next year.

BTW, aren't the schedules supposed to be released soon?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:24 pm 
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

I feel we will be #1 or #2 in our division this year. Our division rivals really underachieved last year and we maybe overachieved. The race to #1 hopefully will be neck and neck the whole way with some good competition. I agree our home games will be tough, but at least they are at home. The away games look like an easier schedule which could give us an edge over two of our rivals who have to play the tough teams away. The only wild card games are the Eagles and Seahawks. I expect to beat Seattle and hope we beat Philly. I think you are right for us to be 9-7, but because our rivals have to play the same tough teams, I don't see them having a better record. The division games are going to be really important in case of a tie.

The defense has improved, but not in the area that I thought was our weakest, which was intermidiate and long passing attempts. Hopefully D. Hall will come into his own and Webster stays healthy. I would like to see us draft two safeties in if the right ones are available for the pick.

Our really liked watching our defense play last year, and expect them to be alot better this year. If they can keep us in the games, we stand a good chance to win the division again.

I believe the schedule was released mid April last year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:47 pm 
Starter
Starter

A 9-7 or 10-6 season is a real probability with the talent we have. The division games will be key for another NFC South title. If the injury bug jumps up, especially early then that back to back winning streak may be in danger. By playing 12 of 16 games aginst either divisin foes or 2004 playoff teams the Falcons have a job of work ahead of them.

The Free Agent period has gone about like I expected. No blockbuster deals but some real depth, a luxury we didn't have last season. Have we filled every slot that needed it? No, but as in the building of Rome the first bricks have been layed.

I see the draft as going primarly to the offense this season. Again we are solid at QB, TE, and RB but little or no depth. WR is a glaring need but I don't see the first pick there. Instead, I see Mora taking the BPA- Best Player Avilable with the first pick, and I cant argue with that logic.

I can see that the defense as a whole will be solid but will statisticly drop off a little in 05 just because we will be seeing several teams we played last season and they will be better prepared. The offense will, I think be improved in the passing catagory even if no #1 receiver is on the field that first Monday night. Vick now has had the offense for a full season and two offseasons so I think his reads will be improved. Price, Fiinnerin, White,and Crumpler will also have a better understanding of the reads and can improve the #'s. Dunn will be a dependable starter and Duckett finally showed signs of getting free of Reeves mind games and remembering his Spartan days.

All of that and $2.50 will buy a gallon of gas for our bandwagon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:43 pm 

I think the draft could go either way in terms of offense vs. defense. I think that McKay would prefer to go defense more, but when all is said and done, it may be split down the middle.

I think McKay & Co. realize how are offense is still pretty young, and although it would be good to add more young playmakers, it's not going to reach its potential until Vick begins to reach his. So I think if anything is really targetted on offense, it will be improving the OL position. I know the team would like to add more help at RB, WR, and TE, but I don't think they will be making a fuss if they exit this draft without players at those positions.

Rather, I really expect the team to draft at least 2 DL, at DE and DT. And I expect 2 DBs to be added, at least one being a safety and the other most likely a CB. And I could see the team drafting another LB if one slips in the 2nd day.

But most likely I think the team is going to draft 4 offensive players, and 4 defensive players, assuming we keep all our current picks.

And I really don't expect more than maybe 1 or 2 of this year's rookies to make an immediate impact. Hopefully it will be the two guys we get in Round 1 and 2, but at this point, except maybe FS, I really don't think anybody we draft this year is going to be a starter this year.

Profile E-mail