It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:42 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Ultimate Kill the BCS Playoff Format
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:15 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I was thinking about this recently with the move of TCU to the Big East.

There are 35 bowls this year, which is a ridiculous number, meaning almost 60% of the teams that play FBS football will go to a bowl game. That's roughly the equivalent of the NFL adding 6 more teams to the playoffs, thus how you've seen how watered down the product has been.

But that's in large part because more and more teams want to get a piece of that TV money, which while it waters down college football, helps it in the long run.

So I decided if you were going to come up with a playoff format that would still allow teams to get their slice of bowl money, then you'd have to basically match that number of teams by going to a 64-team format like basketball does.

Sounds ludicrous, I know. But here is how I would do it...

The biggest problem with a playoff system in football unlike other sports is the physical nature of the sport makes it practically impossible to play more than 1 game per week. So you would have to spread out a 64-team playoff tournament over the course of 6 weeks.

The championship game stays the same and still is played roughly around January 8. The "Final 4" games are played on January 1 (keeping that New years tradition). The "Elite 8" games are played 2 weeks before on December 18. Why? Because under the current bowl schedule there aren't many games on Xmas weekend, so why change it. Football players need a break too.

The "Sweet 16" round is played on December 4, which is the normal weekend for the regular season to end/championship game weekend/Week 14. The "Thirsty 32" round is the week before on what will typically be around Thanksgiving weekend (Nov. 27). The opening round corresponds with Week 12 of the college football season on Nov. 20.

Now obviously the dates are a bit fluid, based on what days are exactly Saturdays in a given year, but you get the gist.

So what does that mean for the regular season? Well, assuming you get a week off before the tourney kicks off, that means there will only be 10 weeks of regular season in college football.

And I personally think that should be reserved totally for in-conference play. No more Florida International playing Florida anymore. That means 9 in-conference games for some conferences, and 8 for those with a championship game. That means that some conferences will need at least 10 member schools to qualify.

A few conferences like the Big East and Mountain West would need to add at least one other team. Also this would eliminate the possibility of having independent schools like Notre Dame, Army, Navy, and BYU. They too would have to join conferences.

No more cupcake tune-up games at the beginning of the season. Every game counts.

After the 8 or 9 game schedule, based off rankings teams would get invitations to the 64- team tournament.

The 11 conference winners would get automatic bids. Although presumably with the elimination of the independents, the FBS expanding to include more than 120 teams in the future, presumably a 12th conference would rise out of the murky depths. That would then leave either 48-49 at-large bids would be based off their rank/record.

That would likely mean that there would be an expansion of poll voting from 25 to somewhere around 36, 40, or even 50.

Obviously the seeding would be done the same way that it's done in basketball, with 1 playing 16, 2 vs. 15, 3 vs. 14, etc.

Yes, teams would be separated into four regional brackets that would try to do their best (at least better than basketball tends to do) with making teams not have to travel too far geographically. Those regions would probably be the West, South, East, and Central.

The opening 2 rounds would be played at the home site of the higher seeded team.

The 15 games that are in the 3rd round and later will be played at neutral sites. Some of those could be sites of current famous bowl sites, NFL sites, etc.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: The Ultimate Kill the BCS Playoff Format
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:21 am 

Here's an example of what it would look something like using this year's current rankings/standings:

FIRST ROUND on November 20

EAST BRACKET
1 TCU vs. 16 Temple
8 Navy vs. 9 UConn
5 South Carolina vs. 12 Miami FL
4 Virginia Tech vs. 13 North Carolina

3 LSU vs. 14 Syracuse
6 West Virginia vs. 11 Boston College
7 Maryland vs. 10 Penn State
2 Ohio St. vs 15 Florida Int'l

SOUTH BRACKET
1 Auburn vs. 16 Clemson
8 N.C. State vs. 9 South Florida
5 Utah vs. 12 Texas Tech
4 Alabama vs. 13 SMU

3 Oklahoma vs. 14 Georgia
6 Florida St. vs. 11 Southern Miss
7 Central Florida vs. 10 Florida
2 Arkansas vs. 15 Kentucky

CENTRAL BRACKET
1 Wisconsin vs. 16 Ohio
8 Air Force vs. 9 Iowa
5 Texas A&M vs. 12 Miami OH
4 Missouri vs. 13 Toledo

3 Nebraska vs. 14 Pittsburgh
6 Mississippi St vs. 11 Notre Dame
7 Northern Illinois vs. 10 Michigan
2 Michigan St. vs 15 Illinois

WEST BRACKET
1 Oregon vs. 16 Washington
8 San Diego St. vs 9 Tulsa
5 Nevada vs. 12 BYU
4 Oklahoma St. vs 13 Fresno St.

3 Boise St. vs. 14 Northwestern
6 Arizona vs. 11 Kansas State
7 Hawaii vs. 10 Baylor
2 Stanford vs. 15 Oregon State

SECOND ROUND (AKA "THIRSTY 32") on November 27

EAST BRACKET
1 TCU vs. 8 Navy
4 Virginia Tech vs. 5 South Carolina
3 LSU vs. 6 West Virginia
2 Ohio St. vs. 7 Maryland

SOUTH BRACKET
1 Auburn vs. 8 NC State
4 Alabama vs. 12 Texas Tech
3 Oklahoma vs. 6 Florida St
2 Arkansas vs. 10 Florida

CENTRAL BRACKET
1 Wisconsin vs. 9 Iowa
4 Missouri vs. 5 Texas A&M
3 Nebraska vs. 6 Mississippi St.
2 Michigan St. vs. 10 Michigan

WEST BRACKET
1 Oregon vs. 8 San Diego St
4 Oklahoma St vs. 5 Nevada
3 Boise St vs. 11 Kansas State
2 Stanford vs. 7 Hawaii

THIRD ROUND (AKA "SWEET 16") on December 4

EAST BRACKET
1 TCU vs. 5 South Carolina
2 Ohio St. vs. 3 LSU

SOUTH BRACKET
1 Auburn s. 4 Alabama
2 Arkansas vs. 3 Oklahoma

CENTRAL BRACKET
1 Wisconsin vs. 4 Missouri
2 Michigan St. vs. 3 Nebraska

WEST BRACKET
1 Oregon vs. 4 Oklahoma St.
2 Stanford vs. 3 Boise State

FOURTH ROUND (AKA "ELITE 8") on December 18

EAST BRACKET
1 TCU vs. 3 LSU

SOUTH BRACKET
4 Alabama vs. 2 Arkansas

CENTRAL BRACKET
1 Wisconsin vs. 3 Nebraska

WEST BRACKET
1 Oregon vs. 3 Boise State

FIFTH ROUND (AKA "FINAL 4") on January 1

3 LSU vs. 4 Alabama
1 Oregon vs. 3 Nebraska

CHAMPIONSHIP GAME on January 10

1 Oregon vs. Alabama

I'm sure the real seeding would be different than this hypothetical example and you'd probably try to avoid having conference rivals play each other in the 1st round if possible.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:38 am 

Wow, Pudge have to hand it to you good job. Well it's certainly a new format than I thought of last year. I guess if everyone is going to share in the wealth then you need a large format as you mentioned. I don't like the idea of all these bowls most are meaningless just to get some money. You could have it your way or just cut out most of the teams and generate a 16 team playoff format. It could be stretched or lessened.Also teams that are ranked 64 or very low in the pecking order do they really have a chance to win it all like they do in the NCAA basketball. Due to the physcial nature of football I would think it would be harder for any low seed to even stand a chance.

I have said many times I would like a playoff format but if we had to settle for 64 teams so be it. That would drum up alot of interest in the college game. I don't know what attendance figures are this year but it seems like college football just isn't what it used to be in terms of excitement. Maybe it has to do with the scheduling where it used to be all the big games were on New Year's day and the championship at night.Now its spread out and over a week day the championship. There really are no power house teams anymore. Maybe that's because alot of schools share in the talent nowadays compared to days of old where Miami,Florida State,USC,Texas all were very powerful teams in their best days.

Anyway I like your idea and it sounds like you took alot of time to figure this out. Hope the girlfriend or wife isn't made at you and this is what your doing with the extra time. :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:42 pm 

Two points:

1) You may pine for a playoff, but the reason why they won't get rid of the bowls is because of money. If you realistically want a playoff format then you have to keep something along the lines of the bowl structure where multiple teams get a slice of the pie. Unless you can keep most of the 120+ university presidents happy (by showing them the money) then a playoff is a complete pipe dream.

2) In the basketball tournament, it's false that every team has a chance. The lowest seed to ever win a championship is a 8 seed in Villanova 25 years ago. Rarely does anybody not a #5 seed or higher make the Final Four. Since Villanova's win 25 years ago, only 7 times has that happened, 3 times by a #6 seed, 3 times by a #8 seed, and twice by a #11 seed.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:47 pm 

One point to clairify the playoff format I am proposing is with the bowl games so we can't have the argument of all this money the teams are losing not having it if you remember from our discussion last year.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:35 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Nice work Pudge, I'd watch this,,, but I don't watch the current format

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:13 pm 

thescout wrote:
One point to clairify the playoff format I am proposing is with the bowl games so we can't have the argument of all this money the teams are losing not having it if you remember from our discussion last year.

But the vast majority of the money comes from the television contract. And the way they do it now, they negotiate the BCS bowls separately from the majority of the bowls. So if they adopted a playoff system, they would likely do the same with one network carrying the playoffs and another potentially carrying the bowls. So it's different money, and for the network that "settles" for the bowls, probably a lot less money.

So if you really want to get the University presidents on board, the best way probably is to have one single contract with one single playoff/tournament so EVERYBODY gets paid a lot, rather than SOME getting paid a lot, and MOST getting paid a little.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:58 am 

I guarantee you if they had a playoff after the bowl games it would be huge money for college football. I think the college presidents are living in a cave and don't realize the game needs improvements. I wish I knew what the TV ratings and fan attendance was for college football. It just isn't fun to watch like it was in the past. It reminds me of when baseball went to the wild card you had traditionalist saying it would ruin the game.The regular season becomes less meaningful with an extra team in the playoffs. Well you don't hear most people complain now and it as increased interest in the sport. The same can be done with college football but the old geezers just don't get it. Just like you presented Pudge there is a way to make it work yet the traditionalist make the excuse oh that will never work and bring up a 1000 excuses why.

College football needs to get in the modern age and adapt. I hope soon because many have been waiting for decades of a change to college football. I think the first time I realized a playoff system was needed when Georiga Tech and Colorado split the national championship back in the early 90's. It's ludicrous having to debate who is the better team just play it on the field.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:53 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

That would be a great new system Pudge.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:45 am 
Playmaker
Playmaker

That would be so awesome. I really wish this would happen. Not only would it make the end of the season vastly more interesting, but it would cut out the bullshit "Alabama versus Rhode Island Technical College" games that have become far too common now-a-days.

http://tommeltonscouting.wordpress.com/

And check out the NFL Draft site I write for!

http://nfldraftmonsters.com/

Profile E-mail