It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:05 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fun Gus was wrong
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:21 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

have fun everybody. But damnit, I'm wrong as hell. I thought that Sarah Palin was going to 'go away' and tend to her brood. her 'special needs' child. Her knocked up daughter is shakin her eskimo a** on network TV and Ms Palin has just announced she isn't 'ruling out' the POTUS job and thinking she might be able to best the current American Idol. I havent felt this bad since Jesse Ventura went 'Rogue' ( and thats REAALY going rogue ). Sarah = Newt for the new decade :oops:

http://www.politicsdaily.com/2010/11/16 ... k4%7C26299

what a complete piece of human excrement. wow. She could have easily sat back, and rolled the cash in, had a voice ( some of her teabaggers DID win ) but she had to go and say she WAS NOT RULING OUT POTUS? Really? After QUITTING her elected office?!!!!

What kind of crack that power must be. I was so wrong. What a miserable, unhappy, unrealistic wench. I dont like Obama, but I would vote almost anybody not 'with a german surname' or Jeffrey Dahmer over her now.......... :evil:

Post subject: Re: Fun Gus was wrong
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:47 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Oops! Didn't see this before I posted about her book. Could have combined. The funny thing to me is the bottom line--if she weren't a MILF no one would have listened to her. Never underestimate the stupidity of the general public.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:12 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

the sad thing is she really was subjected to quite a bit of sexism ( as well as Hillary ) but then she had to go and throw out any sympathy anyone would have had by doing this sh*t. Not too sure about her looks 'helping' her, Hillary aint winning any beauty contests, but she got alot of the same crap Palin did. I felt bad that she was being hounded by reporters with an obvious grudge, but rather then rise above, she dug in. I bet Cindy McCain would love to kick her ass southern-style. That's something I would pay to see :|

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:01 pm 

Fun Gus, so your on the Palin kick huh? I mean we both can't stand her. You know she has a very good public relations person behind her. What's the old saying if their talking good or bad about you is what counts at least their talking about you. That's all Palin is doing is making sure her name is in the public, it means more money for her. Her public relations person saw this and I'm sure explained it to Sarah.Quit now after 2 years in office of being govenor while your name is still hot. You'll make more money they you ever dreamed of. MONEY, that is what she is after no doubt about it. Her family will never have to work again and her kids futures are set.

If this woman were average looking or bad looking we wouldn't talk about her. What talent does she really have? She's a quitter plain and simple yet is making more money than she ever could imagine by being a lightening rod. What do people like to argue about? Politcs. Put a good looking women on stage that rials people up about politics and the media will always cover it. There are tons more women smarter than her but for some reason people love hearing her talk about momma grizzly, little trig, and all the other bs that comes out of her. She always give nuggets to keep her name in the spot like.Yesterday she said she might run for president and she could beat Obama. BIG DEAL.You better believe you can beat the opposition or why run for president. Even right wing nuts don't want her representing them. If the left and right don't want her then why do people believe she is a threat to being a president? This women will be out debated from the onset by Romney or whoever opposes her. She knows that but is making the money while she can is how I look at all this bs from Palin.

Her new book she knocks American Idol saying all the candidates are never told their bad till one day that get on idol and find the real truth.She's being a hypocrite since her daughter Bristol should not even be on Dancing with the Stars yet because of her last name some how manages to make it to the finals.
What's her daughter really done to deserve it? Again, the media as hyped this family up to king kong proportions and its their cash cow for now till the bubble finally burst in 2012 when people realize Palin isn't presidential material. She doesn't care her bank account will be loaded after all the books written, tv shows and more on the way. Crazy country we live in isn't it. Here are people much smarter than her who probably are laid off work could even be homeless and yet she capitalizes on this money train by the media.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:25 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I saw a promo for her new reality show/series or whatever, and the thought of listening to that ridiculous accent for more than 5 minutes made me want to kill myself.

She either dumbs herself down to project a blue collar image, or she really is that dumb. And I was willing to give her the benefit of the doubt for the longest time and assume it was the former, but over time I'm starting to believe she just isn't that bright.

She is like the Paris Hilton of politics, someone that has almost no talent for the gig, but for whatever reason smarter people have flocked around her and have been bolstering her career for no other discernible reason that I can figure besides the fact that she's somewhat easy on the eyes. I'm forgiving of Paris Hilton, because her fame is harmless and her daily decisions have no impact on my daily life. At least with Paris, people had the excuse that it was because she had a rich daddy that was paying them to do so. Who is the evil mastermind behind all this Sarah Palin nonsense?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:30 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

thescout wrote:
If this woman were average looking or bad looking we wouldn't talk about her. What talent does she really have? She's a quitter plain and simple yet is making more money than she ever could imagine by being a lightening rod.

I dont want to be put in the uncomfortable position of defending this broad, but I respectfully disagree. Hillary is not 'good looking' yet I can guarantee as our current POTUS continues his descent, there will be plenty of people who will be talking about Hillary 2012, even though she's on record saying she has no interest ( :roll: )..And from a practical standpoint, I never bought into the 'because she's hot she is dumb' and because Hillary is a beast she must be smarter perspective. I'll remind you that of the three other people in the race in 2008, she had the most executive experience.Each state has two U.S. senators, many more state senators, and only one governor. A senator simply votes on bills, legislation, laws, etc, whereas a governor essentially runs the state he or she is the governor of. A governor, unlike a senator, has important executive decisions to make. In this sense, a governor has similar responsibilities to those of the president -- the governor just deals with issues at a more local level. There is a reason why in the history of our nation there have been only 3 Presidents who came from the rank of active senators. This rare feat was accomplished in 1921 by Warren Harding and repeated in 1961 by John Kennedy. Harding was essentially drafted by default at the 1920 Republican convention and Kennedy is arguably the most charismatic politician ever. In total, only 11 Presidents had any Senate experience while 17 Presidents have risen from the gubernatorial field...
I also found it interesting that NOW didn't rush to her aid when she was being slimed, and for the most part kinda gave up on Hillary as well. BUt, the crap she is pulling now is just despicable. It's on par with Newt. If she honestly thinks she can win the POTUS job all she is doing is guaranteeing Obama a second term :evil:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:35 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Pudge wrote:
I saw a promo for her new reality show/series or whatever, and the thought of listening to that ridiculous accent for more than 5 minutes made me want to kill myself.

She either dumbs herself down to project a blue collar image, or she really is that dumb. And I was willing to give her the benefit of the doubt for the longest time and assume it was the former, but over time I'm starting to believe she just isn't that bright.

She is like the Paris Hilton of politics, someone that has almost no talent for the gig, but for whatever reason smarter people have flocked around her and have been bolstering her career for no other discernible reason that I can figure besides the fact that she's somewhat easy on the eyes. I'm forgiving of Paris Hilton, because her fame is harmless and her daily decisions have no impact on my daily life. At least with Paris, people had the excuse that it was because she had a rich daddy that was paying them to do so. Who is the evil mastermind behind all this Sarah Palin nonsense?

plenty of intelligent people are delusional. Hell look around this board and you'll find examples 8-) She's not dumb, or 'crazy like a fox'. Because men want to put thier willywackers in her, they project the image of the 'stupid hottie' upon her. The evil mastermind is Palin herself. And Pudge, I find it humorous that you ( the vanguard of misogyny!) have fallen into this trap :ninja:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:28 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

fun gus wrote:
the sad thing is she really was subjected to quite a bit of sexism ( as well as Hillary ) but then she had to go and throw out any sympathy anyone would have had by doing this sh*t. Not too sure about her looks 'helping' her, Hillary aint winning any beauty contests, but she got alot of the same crap Palin did. I felt bad that she was being hounded by reporters with an obvious grudge, but rather then rise above, she dug in. I bet Cindy McCain would love to kick her ass southern-style. That's something I would pay to see :|

I don't really understand what Hillary and her have to do with one another. Hillary has a pretty impressive resume and intellect. Palin does not. Everybody probably gets some sort of -ism or another if they are in big time politics. FWIW, I don't esp. think SP plays up her good looks but her handlers know where the "money" is. SP is one of those flag burning, non-gay marriage are the most important issue types. Her views are not very nuanced and appeals to similarly mind people...no dearth there.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:30 pm 

You've suggested this debate before, and while in a vaccum governor > senator, you're not putting Palin vs. any other human being in its proper context.

And comparing Hillary and Palin is like comparing apples and oranges as BnB suggested. The only similarity between them is that they are women in the political realm. Hillary has a Yale law degree and has spent the past 30 years as the wife of a guy that most people say is one of the smartest and politically savvy individuals in recent American history. Palin is practically a college dropout with a communications degree that was the wife of an oil man/champion snowmobile racer. So you tell me who's resume suggests they are smart?

But she's accomplished all the things that she has in the past 5 years, so you gotta think there is some intellect and savviness about her, but everytime she opens her mouth, you are scrambling to find something that signifies that.

As for misogyny it's definitely a lot different. I'm basing my very low opinion on Sarah Palin by her actions and statements, not assuming she's a slut because she has fake tits.

To me, Sarah Palin is like some of the girls I knew in college that I considered to be dumb bitches. They would get drunk on weekends and act like idiots, and then 3 days later during the week when you saw them on the street, all they ever talked about how much they drank and got wasted the weekend before. They had nothing redeemable about them other than the fact that they were attractive and about once a month were a good time to drink with. Obviously these girls are smart or studious enough to get into college and eventually graduate. And I imagine inside a few years of being in the real world, they will settle down, get married to some dude that is rich/stable enough to support them both, be stay at home moms, raise their kids, and become vapid PTA mothers.

In the case of Sarah Palin, since she lived in what qualifies as a suburb in Alaska with a population of 5,000, she was able to take that PTA to being a part of the city council, and then was able to springboard city councilwoman into being mayor of that small burrough, and then was able to springboard that into being governor of a state with 600,000 people and that had a very corrupt political system.

To me, had she lived in the continental U.S. and tried to pull that off, it would have never worked. Some housewife in Onawa, IA might have been able to pull off being the mayor there, but the minute she tried to run for governor, she would have been stopped dead in her tracks.

And because of the desperation of John McCain to give his losing campaign some buzz, he latched on to her, and found out pretty quickly that it was a mistake. But thanks in part because of the timely "reorganization" of the Republican party and conservative movement in this country, they were looking for some new blood, and a significant segment of that movement found a way to latch on to her.

She is like the chick that is an also-ran on a VH1 reality show that crazy antics springboards her to her own VH1 reality show, and it becomes a huge hit because of her outrageous antics. And then some studio exec makes the dumb decision that somehow thinks because her show is popular, she is a good fit to be cast with a starring role in a movie or her own "real" television series or gives her a record deal, and then when said movie/album bombs, she goes back to to the new reality show that isn't as popular because it's more about her trying to be a real actor/artist, and people don't like it because the only really liked her to start with because she was crazy. And eventually she fades away.

This should have happened to Sarah Palin IMO, but for whatever reason it hasn't. And I think it's much more an indictment of America and how dumbed down we've become than an indicator that she herself is savvy enough to sustain this.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:56 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Pudge wrote:
And comparing Hillary and Palin is like comparing apples and oranges as BnB suggested. The only similarity between them is that they are women in the political realm. Hillary has a Yale law degree and has spent the past 30 years as the wife of a guy that most people say is one of the smartest and politically savvy individuals in recent American history. Palin is practically a college dropout with a communications degree that was the wife of an oil man/champion snowmobile racer. So you tell me who's resume suggests they are smart?...As for misogyny it's definitely a lot different. I'm basing my very low opinion on Sarah Palin by her actions and statements, not assuming she's a slut because she has fake tits..

well, like I said, I dont like being her 'defender', but #1 I'm pretty sure the funbags are real, and #2 if were goin on 'paper wisdom' our former POTUS had better grades at Yale AND Harvard then Captain Planet and Ketchup Man ( who he defeated) , yet the idea that GWB was somehow 'smart' never really took off did it? "Book smart, sidewalk stupid"? Cant have it both ways. :ninja: Hillary was such a genius she got bested by a jr senator! Her Yale degree didn't really help her now, did it? As far as Palin's 'sluttiness', the old axiom comes into play: 'The apple does not fall far from the tree' :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:03 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Pudge wrote:
You've suggested this debate before, and while in a vaccum governor > senator, you're not putting Palin vs. any other human being in its proper context.

And comparing Hillary and Palin is like comparing apples and oranges as BnB suggested. The only similarity between them is that they are women in the political realm. Hillary has a Yale law degree and has spent the past 30 years as the wife of a guy that most people say is one of the smartest and politically savvy individuals in recent American history. Palin is practically a college dropout with a communications degree that was the wife of an oil man/champion snowmobile racer. So you tell me who's resume suggests they are smart?

But she's accomplished all the things that she has in the past 5 years, so you gotta think there is some intellect and savviness about her, but everytime she opens her mouth, you are scrambling to find something that signifies that.

As for misogyny it's definitely a lot different. I'm basing my very low opinion on Sarah Palin by her actions and statements, not assuming she's a slut because she has fake tits.

To me, Sarah Palin is like some of the girls I knew in college that I considered to be dumb bitches. They would get drunk on weekends and act like idiots, and then 3 days later during the week when you saw them on the street, all they ever talked about how much they drank and got wasted the weekend before. They had nothing redeemable about them other than the fact that they were attractive and about once a month were a good time to drink with. Obviously these girls are smart or studious enough to get into college and eventually graduate. And I imagine inside a few years of being in the real world, they will settle down, get married to some dude that is rich/stable enough to support them both, be stay at home moms, raise their kids, and become vapid PTA mothers.

In the case of Sarah Palin, since she lived in what qualifies as a suburb in Alaska with a population of 5,000, she was able to take that PTA to being a part of the city council, and then was able to springboard city councilwoman into being mayor of that small burrough, and then was able to springboard that into being governor of a state with 600,000 people and that had a very corrupt political system.

To me, had she lived in the continental U.S. and tried to pull that off, it would have never worked. Some housewife in Onawa, IA might have been able to pull off being the mayor there, but the minute she tried to run for governor, she would have been stopped dead in her tracks.

And because of the desperation of John McCain to give his losing campaign some buzz, he latched on to her, and found out pretty quickly that it was a mistake. But thanks in part because of the timely "reorganization" of the Republican party and conservative movement in this country, they were looking for some new blood, and a significant segment of that movement found a way to latch on to her.

She is like the chick that is an also-ran on a VH1 reality show that crazy antics springboards her to her own VH1 reality show, and it becomes a huge hit because of her outrageous antics. And then some studio exec makes the dumb decision that somehow thinks because her show is popular, she is a good fit to be cast with a starring role in a movie or her own "real" television series or gives her a record deal, and then when said movie/album bombs, she goes back to to the new reality show that isn't as popular because it's more about her trying to be a real actor/artist, and people don't like it because the only really liked her to start with because she was crazy. And eventually she fades away.

This should have happened to Sarah Palin IMO, but for whatever reason it hasn't. And I think it's much more an indictment of America and how dumbed down we've become than an indicator that she herself is savvy enough to sustain this.

Damn, Pudge, with all the stupid stuff you write about football I thought you were borderline retarded. Good stuff! :wink: :lol:

Frankly, gus, I never bought into GWB being stupid nor what grade syou made in college being the be all end all of anything. I don't think Palin is stupid compared to lots of folks. Remember, there are some really stupid people out there. I'm a daily testament to that that. I just think she is ten pounds of crap stuffed in a five pound bag.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:06 pm 

Hillary vs Palin holy cow what an opposite pair. Didn't Hiallry mainly lose because of the women vote? I guarantee if she ran again she might defeat Obama herself and Palin isn't even in the picture. As soon as she opens her mouth she'll get ripped in the initial debates. Huckabee,Romney and alot of others have a better track record than Mama Grizzly. It's like I said either he public relations team is smart or Palin is knowing how to promote herself. She's in it for the money and the politics come 2nd. Palin supporters can't see that unfortunatley. She charges 100,000 a speech unbelievable. What corporations or people are paying that kind of loot just to hear someone who won't matter in the election? Nonsense.

Even her daughter Bristol is getting attention from the last name. I usually don't watch DWTS but saw the last 30-40 minutes and it was clear Brandy outdanced her. When I saw Bristol dance for the first time she had no moves and looked like an out of shape wannebe nobody. Some think its a conspiracy her getting to the finals and just maybe Palin supporters flooded the voting system. Either way knowing the Palin heritage Bristol will be writing a book to and probably make a few million this from a person whose claim to fame is being pregnant in high school. Accidents happen but just the way she carries herself (body inage) she is as smart as Mama Grizzly and will benefit from the last name.

Yep, a crazy world we live in. You don't need to have any talent just a media creation. What was it the Republicans called Obama a rockstar. Compared to Palin their not on the same planet. I really do think Palin loves being talked about good or bad because it means more income for the family and never working again.Pudge is right about Palin had she lived in a bigger state no way she would have been govenor. I did hear when she was govenor the mayors complained all the time they couldn't get an answer from her because she was never available always at her house taking care of her kids.How do you think she would run this country? Scary to think Mccain even thought about her being vice president. Looks do play an important part in society as we see with Paris Hilton, the Kardashians and now Palin. If they were just average looking women no one would care. I don't criticize them for being pretty just the fact all 3 have the persona of being air heads. At least be intelligent about things that common people have to endure every day. When Palin's show came on I didn't even bother. The network wants ratings and unfortunately her show broke the record for highest ratings. I guess will have to endure Palin till the 2012 election is over and maybe beyond. I'm just waiting for Levi to write his book and give us the dirt on Palin. Seriously, the whole gang I could care less they don't live in the world we do.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:49 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Well, there wasa headline on msnbc.com today that stated that 1 out of 5 Americans were mentally ill in 2009. This explains some things.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:30 pm 

Look when I say she's dumb, it's relative to her peers in her field of work, where she is surrounded by folks with prestigious degrees in the realm of political science, law, etc. You know people that gknow the Bill of Rights and have read the Constitution and aced Honors/AP Civics.

I don't think she's a retard. But I think she's of average intelligence, and not relative to the people that go to Harvard and Yale, but relative to the 300 million people that live in America. I remember when I was in high school, my local paper ran this story where they polled a couple thousand people across the state of Virginia, and I can't remember the exact number, but it was somewhere between 20-40% of them couldn't even name the capital of Virginia and didn't know the vice president was (it was Gore at the time). She's somewhere in the middle of that America.

I'm one of those elitist liberals that believes that the person that runs this country should be the smartest guy (or gal) in 99% of the rooms he/she walks into. And then he/she should be smart enough to hire the other 1% to work for and advise him/her.

The type of person that within 30 minutes of meeting them, you come away thinking it was their destiny to become president, rather than within that time span wondering how the hell they got their job.

Guess which group I think Mrs. Palin belongs in?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:41 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I know what you're saying, Pudge, and in ways and at times I agree with you. But there are lots of times when a guy thinks he is smarter than 99% of the people and is great at making everyone think he is that smart. To me it is important that someone have a personal comprehension of what it is to be a regular citizien and I think this is SP's appeal. Populism is a bit of a conundrum though. You know, how low will you go? I think Obama might be the guy you are describing, Pudge, but I don't know that it makes him an effective POTUS. I've always kind of taken the view that if a guy is so smart why in hell would he want to be POTUS?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:49 pm 

Isn't that what voters want is someone they can identify with? I rememeber GWB talking about family values and that got him reelected. Your right Bnb about Palin's way of making people think she is just another ordinary citizen. People don't want to intelligent of a guy who makes others feel stupid for president.Once people figure things out and Palin doesn't represent the right or the left then she'll slowly fade away.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:58 am 
Superstar
Superstar

My favorite review of her infomercial, errr TLC show:

Quote:
“Sarah Palin’s Alaska,” which begins on Sunday, is odder than that. The snowcapped mountains, pine forests and shimmering lakes are majestic, the Palin children are adorable, and the series looks like a travelogue — wholesome, visually breathtaking and a little dull. In a way it’s like “The Sound of Music” but without the romance, the Nazis or the music.

We are building a fighting force of extraordinary magnitude. We forge our tradition in the spirit of our ancestors. You have our gratitude.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:28 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Wease wrote:
My favorite review of her infomercial, errr TLC show:

Quote:
“Sarah Palin’s Alaska,” which begins on Sunday, is odder than that. The snowcapped mountains, pine forests and shimmering lakes are majestic, the Palin children are adorable, and the series looks like a travelogue — wholesome, visually breathtaking and a little dull. In a way it’s like “The Sound of Music” but without the romance, the Nazis or the music.

:rofl:

Maybe her and the Octomom can get together and share a show :ninja: And when are they gonna change the damn name of TLC to 'The Circus Channel'?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:43 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Sarah would look pretty hot in jack boots and other Nazi regalia. Yeah, lots of the so-called educational channels have swirled downward into the toilet with the rest. The History Channel is indistinguishable from TLC, etc., with all the Ice Road Truckers and Pawn Stars (what's up with that anyway? They are everywhere.) and similar "reality" shows. Cheap to produce, I guess, but so tedious. And Bristol just tearing it up on Dancing With the Stars! I feel like we are being held hostage by these people! :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:36 pm 

It's a Palin world we only live in it. :roll:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:49 pm 

Just as I predicted ABC wins on ratings due to the Palin controversy. It does make you wonder if this isn't all preplanned. Just like Simon on Idol who sparks controversy rating go higher. Then again the stars (sorry for the pun) could be aligned just right for Momma Grizzly and baby grizzly.

Palin's success raises tempers, boosts ratingsShareThisPrint E-mail .By JOCELYN NOVECK

The Associated Press

NEW YORK — Conservative blogger Kevin DuJan is psyched. He's actually starting to think Palin can win the whole kit and kaboodle.

FILE- In this Monday, Nov. 15, 2010 publicity image released by ABC, Bristol Palin performs during the celebrity dance competition series, "Dancing with the Stars," in Los Angeles. Bristol Palin's improbable run to next week's finals on "Dancing with the Stars," has led to such an uproar that conspiracy theories are floating and some fans of the show are insisting they'll never watch again. (AP Photo/ABC, Adam Larkey, FILE)

FILE- In this Monday, Nov. 15, 2010 publicity image released by ABC, Bristol Palin, left, and her partner Mark Ballas perform during the celebrity dance competition series, "Dancing with the Stars," in Los Angeles. Bristol Palin's improbable run to next week's finals on "Dancing with the Stars," has led to such an uproar that conspiracy theories are floating and some fans of the show are insisting they'll never watch again. (AP Photo/ABC, Adam Larkey, FILE)

Today on accessAtlanta
Atlanta movie showtimes
From the USA Today article.

.No, not Sarah — though he hopes she'll be the next president. He means daughter Bristol, on "Dancing with the Stars."

The 20-year-old Palin's improbable run to next week's finals — championed by websites like DuJan's Hillbuzz.org — has led to such an uproar that conspiracy theories are floating, some fans are insisting they'll never watch again, and a Wisconsin man actually shot up his television, apparently in disgust over Palin's dancing.

"There's been more angst over this than over the 2000 election," quips media industry analyst Shari Anne Brill, only slightly kidding.

The real winner? ABC, of course. The always-popular "Dancing with the Stars" is enjoying a ratings boost, undoubtedly due to the novel casting.

For those whose television tastes tend toward shows less awash in sequins, mirrors, feathers and fishnets, a brief recap: Many were surprised when the shy Bristol, once the country's best-known teen mom, became a contestant on the hit show, where judges' scores are combined with public votes to determine the winners.

But no matter: Bristol, paired with professional partner Mark Ballas, put on her game face and started, well, learning to dance. Her effort was clear; so was her lack of skill and experience.

Flash forward to this week's results show, with the four remaining couples vying for three spots in the finals. First "Dirty Dancing" star Jennifer Grey was declared safe, then Disney Channel's Kyle Massey.

It came down to Palin and singer Brandy, who had wowed the judges with her sultry tango, earning a perfect score. When Palin was declared safe, Brandy was speechless, and the jaw of Grey's partner, Derek Hough, quite literally dropped.

The next morning, "Dancing" fan Kimberly Fishman arrived at her job at a northern California bank. She was furious at the result, and so were co-workers. "People were saying it's the tea party voting, that all of Alaska voted," says Fishman, 42. "It's all politics."

Fishman, who identifies herself as a liberal, has resolved not to watch next week. "I'm done," she says. "No one could say Bristol is the better dancer." And yet, she adds, she herself didn't vote.

That's a key point, media analyst Brill says. "A lot of people out there are watching but not voting."

So who does vote? Obviously, people who really, really care. Like DuJan, the conservative activist. A former Democrat, he turned into a major Sarah Palin fan after Hillary Rodham Clinton lost the Democratic nomination in 2008.

"Are you planning on hosting a Team Bristol Monday Night Dancing Watch party?" reads a post on his website. "You ... can actually vote together and send Bristol over the top ... while sending Leftist heads into meltdown."

In an interview, DuJan said the public support for Palin was a sign of real affection and a desire to reward her after her ordeal under the harsh media spotlight — both as an unmarried pregnant teen, and now with the snide comments about her dancing.

"Think of all the things they've said about Bristol," he said. "This would never be allowed to happen to Chelsea Clinton, or the Gore daughters, or God forbid the Obama daughters. Support for her is real."

And besides, "I think she's a marvelous dancer. She's the only one whose performances have improved every single week."

DuJan defends a tactic that has gotten some critics angry: The use of fake e-mail addresses and multiple phone numbers to let people exceed their vote limit.

People can vote by phone, text or online — with the first two methods possible for 30 minutes after the show and online voting until 11 a.m. the next day.

At this point in the season, there's a limit of five votes per phone number and e-mail address. While people must register their e-mail address with ABC.com, if one uses fake addresses, the possibilities are endless.

Which is great, says DuJan, who has sat for hours into the night, voting.

"If people want to have pajama-jammy-jams all night, having pillow fights and roasting marshmallows and voting, then why not?" he says. "Isn't the winner supposed to be the one who has the most passion behind them? Well, this is passion."

On his website, DuJan recently put it this way: "Start calling the moment the show starts ... After that, use someone else's phone to call the maximum times. Then ... randomly knock on neighbors' doors and use their phones to call, call, call, and then call some more."

In an interview with the Associated Press, "Dancing" executive producer Conrad Green acknowledged that using fake e-mails was possible, but he said security checks are in place to detect abnormal activity.

Still, he doubted many people were doing it — and said that, anyway, fans of any dancer could do the same. "I don't think there's any reason to believe our voting system is unfair," Green said after Tuesday's show. "If someone really wants to sign up for a million e-mail addresses ... well, so be it. But they could be doing that for Jennifer, they could be doing that for Kyle, they could be doing that for anyone."

He added that Bristol has earned the right to be where she is.

"This girl, she's got this sort of everywoman quality," Green says. "She's come from no background in performance of any sort ... and she's technically pretty good."

Television analyst Steve Sternberg says people shouldn't be so surprised at the results.

"If you only want the most talented and best to be picked, don't allow the general public to vote," Sternberg says. "I think this controversy is actually helping ratings."

Indeed. According to ABC, "Dancing," now in its 11th season, is up substantially over last year, drawing an additional 3.3 million viewers (20.9 million vs. 17.6 million). It's up 18 percent among adults 18-49. According to Nielsen, 65 percent of the overall audience is viewers over 50.

Certainly next week's finale — with Palin alive and kicking, so to speak — should be a huge ratings draw.

One person who won't be watching is Mickey Meader, 63, who works the night shift at a shipyard in Lewiston, Maine. Despite his schedule, he has followed the controversy and caught up with video clips here and there.

"Honestly, this is just people who don't like Sarah Palin, and all this stuff gets carried over into the show," Meader says. "If you look at websites on the right, you'd think she's the greatest dancer since sliced bread. If you look at the left-leaning sites, she couldn't dance if she was on a pedestal that was spinning by itself."

__

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:07 am 

The Palin money making machine is alive and well. Comments from her new book!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp ... &#40324524

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:47 pm 

Just found out Sarah Palin will be at the Meijer store about 5 miles from me, oh brother. Should Scout go see Sarah? :roll: She's got to sell those books her bank account needs the funds.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:03 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

saw an article in the AP about her being interviewed by Hannity and her saying 'she would step aside' if she thought she was hurting the GOP....riiiiight. Then, I switched over to Herr Beck who was interviewing her when ESPN went to break and what I heard pissed me off and scared the moose sh*t outta me. First he says "Sarah Palin couldn't get out of the news cycle if she tried. Conservatives by in large love her, and the left simply cannot stand her.". Im a large conservative, and I cant stand her. She LOVES this new spotlight: completely FOS about wanting to get away from it to help her kids. BS. Then, the sidekick asked her how she would deal with the current Korean problem, and you could actually hear the hamster on it's wheel pulling a hammy. The answer she gave was so trite and bone-chillingly full of ridiculous talking points and non-solutions it almost made me want to hoard gold and guns if this broad ever gets within sneezing distance of the nuclear football! The only thing good about this realization is BB found another bridge to live under, otherwise he would need Tommy-John to get over patting himself on the back :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:02 pm 

Fun Gus, thanks for the info. Doesn't surprise me about Palin. Look up the word celebrity in the dictionary and you'll see Palin's picture. She enjoys the spotlight and the money making opportunities it as over any ordinary life for now. This whole idea of her running for presidency is a joke but the Palin supporters can't see that. They think anything to get under the skin of the lefty democrats. Unfortuantely, if the Republicans did nominate her there is so much resentment or negativity over Palin it's a slam dunk for the Dems for the presidency in 2012. What will happen is she'll get in her first debate vs Romney,Huckabee and whoever worth a darn and they'll clean her clock because she doesn't have any real answers. She can get by on Fox news,Beck Show and all the other righty TV shows she appears on because they don't for lack of better word nail Pailn (haha) and ask for clear solutions. She sort of wishy washy's her answers and by that time there is no rebuttal the show is over. Why doesn't Palin appear on CNN or another lefty show?

Mean time Palin's got the game figured out. She can say anything and be in the news and he knows it means money for her and her little tribe. Todd will never work again and her family will be living high on the hog once she is out of the limelight. How we ever got to this position is really beyond belief. Only in politics can you take someone with little or no experience and become the leader of the free world. Only in politics can you take someone like Palin and make a fortune out of someone who doesn't know diddily about the issues. Put Palin in the real world what does she qualify for? Sarah I've got a job at Wal Mart for you at the checkout lane. Went to 5 colleges and majored was it communications? If she had average looks no one would care. She knows most politicians don't look like her and she as got the media wrapped around her little finger. I can't wait till the Republican debates she'll be exposed as the fraud she is but does she really care? No, she'll have a nice huge bank account and can ride off into the sunset if she wants.

I remember her complaining about all these law suits when she was govenor and how she needed to give up being govenor to pay the suits. What BS? She isn't the only govenor having to deal with that yet she quit on the Alaskan people after 1 1/2 yrs much of the time wasn't in the governor mansion to resolve issues instead at home taking care of the kids.It's really all about having a niche and being able to sell it which is what Palin has done. If any of us were in her shoes we would probably take money over anything else and the time was right for Palin to cash in. It's just ridculous some people can't figure out her real motives and go along with her potential presidential bid. Gee I wonder what Romney,Huckabee and the serious Republican candidates feel towards Palin? We do need a third party in this country but the teabaggers aren't it.Some say Palin represents the teabaggers others say the Republicans which is it? Only in America can these things happen to a beauty queen posing as a politician.

Profile E-mail