It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:39 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Curtis Lofton, probably Overrated
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:06 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Probably at this point the most overrated player on the entire team...

Am I saying he's bad? Nope, because he is not. Am I saying he's not a significant contributor to this team's success? Nope, because he is.

Lofton is a defensive leader and brings a physical toughness and swagger to the defense that can be infectious to others. He is a big reason why the Falcons have one of the better run defenses in the league this year, and certainly last year. He is very good defending the run between the hashmarks, attacking upfield and making stops at the point of attack. Teams aren't very successful running inside and between the tackles vs. the Falcons, and along with Babs, the safeties, Lofton is a huge part of that equation.

But the reason why he is overrated is that outside this area, Lofton isn't very good. And while that is not to say that area should be ignored, in our defensive scheme, that aspect of his game and our defense is only part of the equation, and certainly not the biggest part.

A bigger part is pass defense. And as an every down player that plays in the nickel packages, Lofton is an every down player. And unknown some may be the fact that 60% of the plays against the Falcons this year have been pass plays. And according to Football Outsiders, 25% of the runs vs. the Falcons this year go outside. So by doing simple math, one can say that Lofton only excels on 37.5% of the snaps he sees, and is JUST A GUY on the other 62.5% of plays. Or at least grades far from being a "Top 10 MLB/LB" that so many claim him to be.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm thinking with Lofton it might be the same issue with Jamaal Anderson. He is not a player that can excel as a rangy every down MLB in a 4-3 scheme. He might be a player that would be much, much better playing in a 3-4 scheme.

Can the Falcons afford going forward and by forward I mean 2011 and beyond not the rest of the 2010 season (we have no choice really as far as that goes) to keep Lofton as an every down player if they want to be one of the top defenses in the league. Very few 4-3 teams in this day and age have a two-down MLB. The Titans are the only one that I can think of, but if he continues to make the mental mistakes he made vs. Philly and struggle to match up in space, it's hard for me to see OLB being one of the teams biggest needs next off-season.

Or am I just a hater? :roll:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Curtis Lofton, probably Overrated
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:44 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Pudge your not a hater!! Your good at slanting things to your point of view. Which is excellent to make your points.

Pudge wrote:
Lofton is a defensive leader and brings a physical toughness and swagger to the defense that can be infectious to others. He is a big reason why the Falcons have one of the better run defenses in the league this year, and certainly last year. He is very good defending the run between the hashmarks, attacking upfield and making stops at the point of attack. Teams aren't very successful running inside and between the tackles vs. the Falcons, and along with Babs, the safeties, Lofton is a huge part of that equation.
You see Pudge you've answered the question with your own statements...... AND the run up the middle is not being run
since Loften is tough and very good against against the run.He can't be overrated based on your observations.

I don't think Lofton should be in every down. Very few players do everything with excellence. Their are multiple choices
coaches have on third down passing plays..... Heck we could almost put Moore in the middle and bring in Coleman to
give a simple example.... The possibilities are endless. We see what happens when we get our running game shut down.

Loften is a huge part of our stopping the running game..... For years Keith Brooking was considered good against the pass but he actually did very little. Jesse Tuggle did even less against the pass. I think Lofton is very very good at what he does, and in this age of specialization, it doesn't make him less for someone to come in on passing downs....

No worse than Abe being out in sure running situations, or a running back staying in to block on blitzes.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:30 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Lofton is who we thought he was. Jesse Tuggle wasn't good against the pass either. It's always been part of the package with Lofton as well.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:46 am 
Superstar
Superstar

If you're great against the run and you are great against the pass, you are a Hall of Famer. Hall of Famer's don't come around too often obviously.

Lofton is above average and IMO a solid player. Be happy with what we have. It could be a helluva lot worse. Aundray Bruce anyone????

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:35 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

And unknown some may be the fact that 60% of the plays against the Falcons this year have been pass plays. And according to Football Outsiders, 25% of the runs vs. the Falcons this year go outside. So by doing simple math, one can say that Lofton only excels on 37.5% of the snaps he sees, and is JUST A GUY on the other 62.5% of plays.
Or Pro bowl corner sees only 2 passes go to his side and a team runs the ball 60% of the time.

Well I'm glad to have topics to start conversations, when most look good, or most look bad,
its hard to knew what to say if you like Mularkey like I do.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:22 pm 

SteveH wrote:
Lofton is who we thought he was. Jesse Tuggle wasn't good against the pass either. It's always been part of the package with Lofton as well.

But Tuggle played in an era where the 3-down MLB was rare. Lofton plays in an era where the 3-down MLB is a must.

Jessie Tuggle wouldn't be considered as good a player if he was born 20 years later.

Cyril wrote:
Or Pro bowl corner sees only 2 passes go to his side and a team runs the ball 60% of the time.

I'm not talking about making the Pro Bowl. I'm talking about whether his continued presence in the nickel package is hurting the defense.

AngryJohnny51 wrote:
Lofton is above average and IMO a solid player. Be happy with what we have. It could be a helluva lot worse. Aundray Bruce anyone????

I am happy that we have Lofton. I'd rather have him as the 2nd linebacker in the nickel than Nicholas or Peterson.

But that doesn't change the fact that he is probably overrated when people call him a "Top 10 MLB" when guys like Jon Vilma, Brian Urlacher, London Fletcher, Lofa Tatupu, Patrick Willis, Nick Barnett, etc. all make plays in coverage and are also good defending the run as well. He may not even be a Top 10 MLB in his conference all things considered.

At no point have I said that Lofton is not a good player. I just think at this point in his development, he's overrated because people never factor in that he regularly gets abused in coverage. In 2009, he was one of the major reasons why our pass defense was among the worst in the league. Things have gotten better, and he has gotten better. But I'm not sure he's improved enough to get to a point where it is acceptable.

I just think if the Falcons want to have an elite defense in the future, they probably need to start seeing Lofton more as Ed Hartwell rather than Jessie Tuggle.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:58 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Sorry but Hartwell embarrassed himself with all his talk and opponents rammed into him
for 5 yards on a consistent basis. If its just an analogy for a no-name Middle linebacker then I get it.....

Probably is the key word...... I don't see the big deal about using someone who is better in coverage, but
then you've never heard me praise C. Lofton all that much. I like him but I think he's better against the run than some
of the guys you mentioned, but not as good against the pass.....

Our defense is getting better when we start talking about Middle linebackers making plays on the pass.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:12 pm 
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

As much as I usually admire your opinion, I got to disagree with you about Tuggle. He was one of the first great coverage backers. He would not be as effective against coverage today, but many of the better MLB's of today could not hold up against the running games of the 1990's. I think he would still be a top five MLB in today's game.

As far as Lofton goes, I think the plan is to put two coverage backers on the feild with him so that he is not exposed on first down and short yardage plays. That way he can be a down feild thumper. I do not think anyone thinks he is Patrick Willis or a young Ray Lewis. But I do think he can be a top ten MLB if he keeps developing. I think he is in between Hartwell and Lewis, think Bart Scott.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:32 pm 
Starter
Starter

pudge, you are right. i did not read or sense any hating. but we all know when we picked up lofton that he does not have the fluid hips to turn and we had several PI and holding penalties that almost cost us games last year (bears & jets). thank goodness orlando pace had that off side penalty, we won i think 13-10.

anyways going back to your statement. lofton is our leader on defense no doubt. but i still have a problem with him playing in nb. hes above average and stout against the run, but the guy is purely a north and south player. thats why i think spoon who is a side line to side line player will compliment our nb more effectively than lofton. if i remembered correctly lofton immediately upgraded the mlb position and played only in run situations. then the 2nd year (last year) he played every down. to my amazement, i find that lofton and spoon are entirely the opposite when evaluating their physical attributes.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:15 am 
Superstar
Superstar

In 2010 Pudge Wrote
Quote:
Am I saying he's bad? Nope, because he is not. Am I saying he's not a significant contributor to this team's success? Nope, because he is.

Then Pudge Wrote
Quote:

I am happy that we have Lofton. I'd rather have him as the 2nd linebacker in the nickel than Nicholas or Peterson.

Geez Pudge in 2010 I listened to you in every way; and remember you concluded Lofton
was a significant contributer to our success!! Since you say your answers are usually
" the most founded on current football being played " I stuck with you as long as I could.

Now you cut me off at the knees for believing in you?? (: