It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:18 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Draft spared...so far...
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:36 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

The Falcons announced they released DE Joe Tafoya to make room for Ed Hartwell. The savings according to Cap is about $455,000. That's generous considering Tafoya was anything but a sure bet to make this roster this year. He's an undersized run stopper, and I think this team is looking for more speed at DE. But he is a good special teams player.

I speculated that Chris Draft would be released to make room for Hartwell. And thus far, I seem wrong. But just because Draft was not cut this week, doesn't mean it won't happen.

They could be waiting until June, where the team could save about an extra $400,000 against the cap which would be more beneficial when it comes to signing our rookies. I f that's the case, I feel sad for Draft, since it will hurt his chances of catching on somewhere else.

Or the team could release Draft as soon as they add a guy they think can replace him. Possibly that's in the draft, or it could be a street free agent.

Or they could be planning to keep Draft through the season. I think ideally Draft shoudl play on the outside. He's like Brooking in that he's best chasing the football, and in the middle you don't get to do that very often unless you have a solid group of players up front. Since he can also easily play MLB, he provides good depth much like Demorrio and Reese can since both play 2 positions.

I've always like Draft as a player. I thought he outplayed Keith Brooking back in 2002, had a down year in '03, but I don't think he was any worse than Brooking at the time. He's no stud, but he can start in this league. He's just not a playmaker anymore like he was 2-3 years ago.

Profile E-mail