It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:19 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wisdom teeth
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 11:43 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Question about wisdom teeth. About 2 years ago, I had both my upper and lower wisdom teeth on my left side come in. And a few months ago, I had the upper on my right side come in. When I was younger and got my mouth x-rayed, the lower right one was sideways, which the dentists told me was a bad thing. I'm wondering do I have to worry about that now. I thought I had heard that your wisdom teeth all came in at once, so it surprised me when the right side came in a few months ago. So I'm wondering am I gonna have to get surgery to have the lower right one removed, or now that the upper right is in, and the lower right didn't come in, am I in the clear?

Any amateur dentists on the board?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Wisdom teeth
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 3:27 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I had one of my wisdom teeth come in 6 years after the other 3? My dentist told me as long as there is no pain and there is no crowding or moving of the exisisting teeth that I'd be fine. They are now all in and I have never had a problem, but I have a giant head :P

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 7:46 pm 

Sorry Pudge can't answer the question but it's about time you got some wisdom ..teeth that is! :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 7:38 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Pudge wrote:

Any amateur dentists on the board?

my sax player is a dentist ( the leader of the plaque) and I threw that question to him:

Well......, having not seen an x-ray of the tooth in question, I can't say fer sher, but since he was told it was a problem previously and it still hasn't come in, I would say it should probably still come out. Depending on its position, it could go years or forever without causing a problem, (still a bit of a risk...) or he may just be lucky it hasn't caused any problems yet. I guess the short answer is, "get it checked out."

love those 'doctors'. every question to them ends with 'you should get it checked out' :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 11:51 am 

Thanks fun gus. When I go to a dentist in the next 3 years I will ask them about it.

I hate going to the dentist. Not because of any aversion to having a complete stranger poking around in my mouth, but just because its the only place where its perfectly acceptable for a person to talk bad to you about how you're not flossing and chastize you over and over. Physicians have bedside manner, dentists do not. I never feel chastized when I see a real doctor, but always feel chastized when I see the dentist. It was OK when I was 8 years old, I was a kid, and was used to grown-ups talking down to me. But now that I'm almost 30...

I also hate the fact that dental technology has advanced little in 100 years. Think of all the innovations we've had in medical science over the past century, but dentistry basically operates on the same basic principles and procedures that existed in the 1890s.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 1:18 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

Pudge wrote:
Thanks fun gus. When I go to a dentist in the next 3 years I will ask them about it.

I hate going to the dentist. Not because of any aversion to having a complete stranger poking around in my mouth, but just because its the only place where its perfectly acceptable for a person to talk bad to you about how you're not flossing and chastize you over and over. Physicians have bedside manner, dentists do not. I never feel chastized when I see a real doctor, but always feel chastized when I see the dentist. It was OK when I was 8 years old, I was a kid, and was used to grown-ups talking down to me. But now that I'm almost 30...

I also hate the fact that dental technology has advanced little in 100 years. Think of all the innovations we've had in medical science over the past century, but dentistry basically operates on the same basic principles and procedures that existed in the 1890s.

That's just not true Pudge.
There are many differences in Dental Treatment than even 25 years ago.

Now is the time to take care of your teeth. You can't believe the issues that arise if you don't. Same with exercise and eating right. A somewhat new innovation, that is becoming more affordable are dental implants..and they are improving on the technology everyday. Ortho techniques have improved as well.

Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser.
Vince Lombardi

Profile E-mail