Post subject: Lamarr Houston, DT, Texas
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:53 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

LAMARR HOUSTON
6-3/305
Texas Senior
40: 4.84

PROS: A high motor player with a nice first step. Shoots gaps and is able to make plays in the backfield. Is able to get leverage vs. the run and make stops at the point of attack. Can make plays in pursuit. Fights through double teams. Shows good potential as a bull rusher and has a good swim move. Has good closing burst on the quarterback with nice straight-line speed.
CONS: Needs to do a better job getting off blocks at the point of attack. Not as effective when he's playing inside as he is when he's playing over the tackle. Needs to get stronger and gets engulfed at times by the guard. Doesn't use swim move enough and other pass rush moves.
OVERVIEW: Houston is strong and athletic guy that excels at getting upfield. He plays mostly end in Texas hybrid 3-4 scheme, but plays across the line. Really blossomed as a senior, finishing with 8 sacks, 22 tackles for loss, and 28 hurries. He was suspended for a game in 2008 for a DUI and his production was hampered that year due to a foot injury. For his career, he totaled 42 tackles for loss, 15 sacks, 12 pass breakups, and 61 hurries including three years as a starter.
NFL FORECAST: He's good enough to play in any scheme, although he projects best in a 3-4 at end or 4-3 at tackle. He dominated Drew Davis in the championship game, and was living in Alabama's
backfield for much of the game. And almost every time he was, he was going up against Davis. But he was less effective when he was facing Alabama's guards. He can contribute as a pass rusher, he won't ever be a top pass rusher at the next level. He'll be a guy that routinely racks up 2-4 sacks a year for the most part. But his value will be in defending the run, where he excels. He fits best in a one-gap scheme that allows him to get upfield. This means that the 4-3 as an under tackle is probably his best fit, but I believe he can also work as a DE in a 3-4 if it's a scheme that wants its ends to get upfield and attack. He should be a capable starter down the road, although again I'm not sure he's going to be a star. At the very least, he should develop into one of the top backup tackles in the business.
ATL FORECAST: Houston would fit well in Atlanta because his game is reminsiscent of Jonathan Babineaux's. Houston is good enough to potentially start for the Falcons down the road. He needs a bit more work as a tackle, particularly as he polishes up his technique but his high motor, athleticism, and strength should allow him to contribute rapidly. He could challenge right away for the third spot and I would suspect would be logging significant minutes by the end of his rookie season. By his second year at least, would be the team's top backup tackle. And perhaps by his third or fourth year would be in a position to battle for and win a starting spot.
VALUE: Houston is a solid third round pick that could sneak into the second round if teams really like his motor and versatility.

SKILLS
1-poor, 2-weak, 3-above average, 4-very good, 5-elite

STRENGTH: 4.0
POINT OF ATTACK: 3.5
QUICKNESS: 3.5
PASS RUSH: 3.0
MOTOR: 4.0

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Lamarr Houston, DT, Texas
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:19 am 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Pros: Good size, strength and quickness. Does a good job of penetrating upfield using his quickness and has an impressive motor. Can split or fight off double teams due to his hustle, and can play with good leverage to hold up versus 1 on 1 blocks in the run game. Shows an effective swim move and when he plays with good leverage he can threaten as a bull-rusher when rushing the QB. Is a good wrap-up tackler and will make plays in pursuit.

Cons: Needs to improve his hand usage and his ability to shed blocks and struggles mightily when double teamed, and can be engulfed at the line of scrimmage by bigger guards. Could stand to add strength and develop more/better pass rush moves.

Overall: Houston is a quality UT prospect and you have to love his work ethic and his motor. He won’t be a great defensive tackle in the NFL, but at worst he will be a contributor in a rotation due to his motor, quickness upfield and his work ethic. At best he will be a reliable starter and he will develop into a 5 sack a season pass rusher as well as a guy who can get TFL’s in a penetrating defensive system.

Projection: 2nd-3rd round: I think he will go in the early 3rd round, but he could sneak into the later portion of the 2nd round. I would love to see him slide to the Falcons’ selection in the 3rd round, but I know that probably won’t happen.

SKILLS
1-poor, 2-weak, 3-above average, 4-very good, 5-elite

STRENGTH: 3.5
POINT OF ATTACK: 3.0
QUICKNESS: 3.5
PASS RUSH: 3.0
MOTOR: 4.0

http://tommeltonscouting.wordpress.com/

And check out the NFL Draft site I write for!

http://nfldraftmonsters.com/

Profile E-mail