Post subject: Major Wright, FS, Florida
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:18 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

MAJOR WRIGHT
6-0/206
Florida Junior
40: 4.44

PROS: Has nice speed and range to function in deep coverage. Does a nice job keeping things in front of him, and has the closing burst to come up and deliver a hit. Wraps up. Shows some ability to cover receiver in the slot.
CONS: Doesn't have ideal ball skills or awareness to make big play in coverage, a step or two late. Lacks great hips and burst to really do damage in man coverage. Is undersized and it shows when trying to defend the run at the point of attack.
OVERVIEW: Wright is an undersized run-defending free safety that flashes enough range and coverage ability to be to compete as a starter in the pros. A three-year starter at free safety, combining for 165 tackles, 8 interceptions, and 18 passes defended.
NFL FORECAST: Wright I think can be developed into a starter similar to Thomas DeCoud. I think he has superior speed than DeCoud, which makes his potential to make impact plays at the next level high. I think like DeCoud, he'll need at least a year of development before you can expect him to start to make an impact. Although since he's a junior, it might take him an extra year. He won't be a top safety, but should be a guy that can be an above average starter. He doesn't have poor ball skills, but just not good enough to make the necessary plays in coverage. With coaching, he can be a good NFL player, just not a great one.
ATL FORECAST: I think he could give DeCoud a run for his money, but essentially DeCoud has two good years of development over him. And if it takes him two more years to develop, then he won't be ready until DeCoud's contract is up. And that is where his true value in Atlanta is, if DeCoud hasn't proven himself to a level that merits a second contract, Wright should be able to step up and give capable production. He probably won't be a major upgrade over the kind of player that DeCoud is now, but at the very least can be a quality stopgap for a number of years before someone better can be found.
VALUE: Wright is good enough to go in the second half of the third round of the draft for a team looking for a fast, developmental free safety.

SKILLS
1-poor, 2-weak, 3-above average, 4-very good, 5-elite

SPEED: 4.0
TACKLING: 3.5
COVERAGE: 3.0
BALL SKILLS: 3.0
RANGE: 3.0

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Major Wright, FS, Florida
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:03 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Pros: Good speed, burst to close and agility. Good range as a safety and has good speed for the position. Is a reliable tackler and has impressive pop as a hitter, and times his hits well to try to jar passes from a receiver’s grasp. Does a pretty good job of filling versus the run. Seems to read run well and reads screens well, and does a good job of wrapping up as a tackler. He closes quickly and plays well going downhill.

Cons: Does not make a lot of plays in coverage. He doesn’t do a very good job of playing the ball when he is playing in centerfield or over the top, and even when he closes on the ball or the receiver he seems to be looking for a hit rather than trying to break on the ball and make a play on it. He had only 3 career interceptions and 2 pass deflections this season, so even though he plays deep a lot and supports the run well he does not make many plays on the ball at all. I don’t think he will be able to play FS in the NFL, and fits in better as an in-the box safety.

Overall: Wright played deep a lot in his time at Florida, but he is not a true center-fielder in my opinion. I think he can have a solid NFL career as a SS, but I don’t think he will be anything special in the NFL. He supports the run well, can be an intimidating hitter and does a good job of separating the receiver from the ball downfield. He has good range in coverage, but I was never impressed with his ball skills despite good leaping ability. He plays the receiver more than he plays the ball, and that is why I think he had relatively pedestrian interception and pass deflection numbers this season.

Projection: I could see him going in the 4th round range. He doesn’t have much versatility to increase his value, but as a back-up SS he would be worthy of consideration there. He could eventually work his way into the starting line-up as a solid strong safety.

SKILLS
1-poor, 2-weak, 3-above average, 4-very good, 5-elite

SPEED: 4.0
TACKLING: 3.5
COVERAGE: 3.0
BALL SKILLS: 3.0
RANGE: 3.5

http://tommeltonscouting.wordpress.com/

And check out the NFL Draft site I write for!

http://nfldraftmonsters.com/

Profile E-mail