It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:02 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: LOST
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:15 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

ok. who here watches the best show on TV? only a couple more episodes left.

My theory? Purgatory. They are all dead and trying to get out of purgatory ( off the island).

thoughts?

Post subject: Re: LOST
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:13 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

My theory? The show sucks.

I watch the show, but this whole alternate side reality with them not crashing is annoying as hell. It's fizzling my friend, and I better be blown away with the ending to make it all worth it, or it will be one of the biggest disappointments in human history.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:53 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Pudge wrote:
My theory? The show sucks.

I watch the show, but this whole alternate side reality with them not crashing is annoying as hell. It's fizzling my friend, and I better be blown away with the ending to make it all worth it, or it will be one of the biggest disappointments in human history.

well I cant say I disagree here. The thing that bugs me this season, is the other OTHERS with the really terrible acting and Planet of the Apes costumes. I actually like the alternate reality part, it's those creeps I cant stand. And Sawyers getting on my nerves a little.

It would be hard to beat Seinfeld or Soprano's for wrost ending ever :hihi:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:48 pm 

I don't know gus. Seinfeld was a sitcom, so in hindsight, I think people can understand why its ending fizzled. Sopranos, most people didn't "get" the ending, which is why it was hated. Although I admit it was pretty lame. If Tony gets killed, you want to see it happen. No Country For Old Men had the same type of ending, which is why all the goodness of the first hour and 40 minutes was ruined by last 20 minutes.

But in the case of Lost, since the show seems to try to address these notions of destiny and existentialism, if I'm not going "Whoa" at the end of it, then I poop on it.

I mean Seinfield and Sopranos hook wasn't some super-layered, serial mystery, where the entire goal is to confuse the hell out of the audience, who continue to tune it because they believe in the end somehow everything will come together, make sense, and make it worth us spending the past 6 years racking our brains trying to figure out what the hell is going on.

As for the alternate reality stuff, I would have much rather seen what their lives would have continued being had the plane crash, but not this odd soup of somehow all these people's lives still being connected had the hatch been blown up. Like Sawyer being a cop and Miles being his partner? Like c'mon!

And again, that's building on the mystery. These peoples lives would have been connected whether they gone to the island or not, so if the end doesn't explain why that is (i.e. fate, destiny, etc.) in a meaningful way, again it becomes lame.

I've invested too much time and energy in Lost to quit now. But I have the feeling that this show is too ambitious for its own good and will not and cannot live up to the expectations of its ending.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:58 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Ever think they will go the way of X files and move to full feature films?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:33 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I've never watched Lost and not much of the Sopranos or even Seinfeld, for that matter. But can you name a hugely popular show that did not go out with a whimper? Anyone recall Twin Peaks? It had everyone hooked and then just kind of out-cuted itself or something. Few shows "go out on top." Maybe the Simpsons will better be able to call it's shot since as cartoons the expiration date of the principal characters is less relevant.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:16 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

backnblack wrote:
But can you name a hugely popular show that did not go out with a whimper?.

Newhart comes to mind. Maybe Mash as well (showing my age )

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 1:08 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

I rank it above Seinfeld and Sopranos, but beneath Mash and Newhart. A pretty good ending. I'm more annoyed that the I figured out in season 1 that this was all some sort of "purgatory" and Lindeloff and Cuse denied it. Basically they lied from the get go in saying "not purgatory", "not science fiction", "dead is dead".... But, from a psuedo religious pov ( bright white light ) I got it. Guess dogs wont go to heaven, either. :ninja:

I'm just glad that Jack didn't have us all clap to 'fix' the Tinkerbell in the heart o the island :clap:

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 3:50 pm 

I have no real context on where it's ending ranks, since my television watching career has been primarily 90s based.

Well, the island wasn't purgatory.

And did Ben Linus not go into the church because he was going to Hell?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 4:10 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Pudge wrote:
I have no real context on where it's ending ranks, since my television watching career has been primarily 90s based.

Well, the island wasn't purgatory.

And did Ben Linus not go into the church because he was going to Hell?

the flash sideways was purgatory, though... And I knew there had to be some good ol fashioned religion in there waaaay back in season I ( loved that scene with Jacks Dad and the stained glass window). Ben is still 'stuck in purgatory' , except his real self died on the island with Hurley...I'm more inquisitive about Desmond ( who was not shown in the church), and the dog :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 6:40 pm 

Desmond was in the church with Penny. I'm with you on Vincent the dog. The whole scene, I was just waiting for him to come strolling out of a sidedoor in the church holding a tennis ball in his mouth.

And what happened to Michael and Walt? No Anna Lucia or Mr. Ecko either.

You're right, the parallel/alternate thingy was purgatory. And in finding out about it, I did not find it any more satisfactory (as you may recall in this thread, I said I found it dull).

Overall, I'm OK with the ending. I guess just the sheer fact that a "beloved" show is ending means that there is always some disappointment, but I don't feel gipped by any means over the ending.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 7:41 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Pudge wrote:
Desmond was in the church with Penny. I'm with you on Vincent the dog. The whole scene, I was just waiting for him to come strolling out of a sidedoor in the church holding a tennis ball in his mouth.

And what happened to Michael and Walt? No Anna Lucia or Mr. Ecko either.

You're right, the parallel/alternate thingy was purgatory. And in finding out about it, I did not find it any more satisfactory (as you may recall in this thread, I said I found it dull).

Overall, I'm OK with the ending. I guess just the sheer fact that a "beloved" show is ending means that there is always some disappointment, but I don't feel gipped by any means over the ending.

Anna Lucia still had to pay her 'penance' and so did mr Ecko ( which is hilariously ironic if you think about it for a minute), as did Ben. I guess the ending has everyone talking, and that was the idea.

I do feel a little 'gipped' because it was essentially a 'spiritual mystery' ( Christian Shephard?) and those of us that 'thought we had it figured out' were told by the creators that there wasn't a 'purgatory aspect' to it, when clearly, in the end there was. But, it was done soo well, that I would still reccommend it to guys like BnB...I guess that makes LOST the ultimate Ponzi Scheme of Network Dramas :mrgreen: