All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Doug Pilcher, DE, Illinois
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:45 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

DOUG PILCHER
6-5/265
Illinois Senior

PROS: Shows good strength and a capable bull rusher. Has a decent first step. Shows some ability to get push to get leverage vs. the run and make stop in the backfield. Has good motor and gives chase in pursuit.
CONS: Slow off the snap, and lacks the quickness and burst to challenge NFL-caliber tackle on the edge. Lacks closing burst to finish plays. Struggles to get off blocks, even against tight ends. Not fluid athlete when he's moving in space.
OVERVIEW: Pilcher showed some promise early in his career, but has developed little. He is simply not an impact defender that was effective at times against weaker collegiate competition, but has few tools to fare well on the next level. Started a total of 36 games at defensive end, spending time rotating a lot with Derek Walker and Will Davis as sophomore and junior. First two years combined for 9 hurries, but only had 2 the past two years. Finished career with 11.5 sacks and 27 tackles for loss.
NFL FORECAST: His best chance of sticking on the next level is to bulk up and become an end in the 3-4, or potentially a tackle in the 4-3. So at this point, I would say he's going to need to get up to at least 285 to play in the 3-4. And even then, he's just a rotational guy at best that teams may like because of his strength and motor, but won't do much other than eat minutes for other players. The best right now I can hope for him is that he can spend a couple of years on a practice squad and/or buried on a 3-4 teams' depth chart. If he adds weight, I like his chances a bit more as a Mike Devito-like rotational guy. But he's probably a few years away from being that guy.
ATL FORECAST: Pilcher is just a body for the Falcons to have, and unless they fall in love with his motor and/or strength, he's not going to stick. And even if they do, the best he can hope for is to be stashed on the practice squad for a year or two as he continues to bulk up. But he's not as athletic as you want, and ultimately I have to believe there will be better options even as the fourth tackle to be had in that span.
VALUE: Pilcher is worth a look in camp by a 3-4 team, but don't draft him.

Profile E-mail