It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:28 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sharper / Chavous
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:32 pm 
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

ESPN reports that Darren Sharper has already signed with the Vikings as of today. I never really figured we had the space to make a run at him, intriguing though it may have been.

Strange as it sounds to me, I've seen at least one report that said that if the Vikings signed Sharper, they might release Corey Chavous. I have no idea if that's true, but if it is, Chavous is a player worth looking at. Not as physical as a guy like Kennedy, but better in coverage - a smart guy, who, coincidentally, grew up about two and a half hours from atlanta...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:41 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Chavous is a smart, solid veteran leader in the secondary. He's playing a bit out of position for the Vikings at SS, since he's more a coverage guy than a run stopper.

Chavous and Bryan Scott have very similar stories. Chavous was brought in the league in the hopes of being a big corner, but he never panned out there and struggled in Arizona. He wasn't bad, but wasn't good. Then when the Vikings picked him up and moved him to safety he came into his own.

I've also seen reports that Chavous is on the way out in Minnesota, but I think those reports were based on if the Vikings are able to acquire Donovan Darius to man the SS position.

If CHavous is cut loose by Minnesota, I would definitely look at him. He's a 29-year old ballhawk safety that would be a significant upgrade over Cory Hall at FS.

Profile E-mail