It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:56 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: tech question
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:55 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

I have an old Dell PC laptop ( possibly 2005-6) that I would like to give to a friend.... But, my wife and I are worried about any info left on it. Is there a cheap way to erase all the data to protect our idents and such?

Post subject: Re: tech question
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:05 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

Even with the best programs, there will always be some data on it. You can buy various software to do it. Some Hard Disk firms/laptop companies have software you can download to do it. With hard drives so cheap, the 100% method is to change out the drive...which with its age is probably due anyway.

Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser.
Vince Lombardi

"None are so old as those who have outlived enthusiasm".
Henry David Thoreau

Fail to prepare and you prepare to fail.

"Luck is the residue of design." - Branch Rickey

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:45 pm 
Starter
Starter

"If you emptied the bin, used Shift Delete to get rid of the file, deleted it from within an application or used some other method of removing it that bypassed the bin, then it is still almost certainly recoverable. When you empty the Recycle Bin or delete a file using another method, the file is still not really deleted. The file no longer exists as far as the operating system is concerned and the space it occupied becomes available for re-use by other files. But the disk space does not get re-used straight away, so the data contained in the deleted file will stay on your hard drive for some time to come."

Because the operating system doesn't immediately re-use space from deleted files, a file can be recovered or undeleted right after it has gone, and for a considerable time afterwards. But the chances of a perfect undelete decrease the longer you leave it, because eventually some or all of that space will be re-used.

The chances of recovery also depend on how full your computer's hard drive is. Windows tries to avoid re-using disk space that has recently been freed, to give deleted file recovery software a better chance of working. But the fuller a drive is, the sooner the free space is going to be used by other files.

If you have defragmented the hard drive since the file was deleted, then this will severely harm the chances of a successful recovery. Current files will have been moved into the free space left by deleted files in order to reduce fragmentation, making it much less likely that undelete software will be able to find anything useful.

MY guess is, it would be difficult to recover your deleted files once you defrag your comp.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:32 am 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

jluk wrote:
"If you emptied the bin, used Shift Delete to get rid of the file, deleted it from within an application or used some other method of removing it that bypassed the bin, then it is still almost certainly recoverable. When you empty the Recycle Bin or delete a file using another method, the file is still not really deleted. The file no longer exists as far as the operating system is concerned and the space it occupied becomes available for re-use by other files. But the disk space does not get re-used straight away, so the data contained in the deleted file will stay on your hard drive for some time to come."

Because the operating system doesn't immediately re-use space from deleted files, a file can be recovered or undeleted right after it has gone, and for a considerable time afterwards. But the chances of a perfect undelete decrease the longer you leave it, because eventually some or all of that space will be re-used.

The chances of recovery also depend on how full your computer's hard drive is. Windows tries to avoid re-using disk space that has recently been freed, to give deleted file recovery software a better chance of working. But the fuller a drive is, the sooner the free space is going to be used by other files.

If you have defragmented the hard drive since the file was deleted, then this will severely harm the chances of a successful recovery. Current files will have been moved into the free space left by deleted files in order to reduce fragmentation, making it much less likely that undelete software will be able to find anything useful.

MY guess is, it would be difficult to recover your deleted files once you defrag your comp.

Defrag is NOT getting rid of everything...and even the best tech guy can't be sure exactly what is deleted. That is why dumb criminals who think they have erased everything, end up in the slammer.If your computer is going on five years old it is a good time to change the drive.

Vince Lombardi

Henry David Thoreau

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:42 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I'm not sure, but wouldn't restoring it to its original factory settings (like when it's fresh out of the box) take care of that? Isn't that one of the options when you're booting the computer and you get to that screen you gotta go to when you're trying to boot it in safe mode?

I don't know. I've been a regular mac user since 2004.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:33 pm 

Fear not under dog is here. I used to have a Dell computer got it in 1998. Anytime I had viruses I couldn't get rid of I had to wipe out the hard drive.That's the only way I know to delete everything yet I am sure with the right technology files can be recovered.

I doubt if the average layman would go to all the trouble of trying to recover the files. Do you want the directions on wiping out the hard drive?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:24 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

thescout wrote:
Fear not under dog is here. I used to have a Dell computer got it in 1998. Anytime I had viruses I couldn't get rid of I had to wipe out the hard drive.That's the only way I know to delete everything yet I am sure with the right technology files can be recovered.

I doubt if the average layman would go to all the trouble of trying to recover the files. Do you want the directions on wiping out the hard drive?

yeah, Scout, how do you just wipe out the drive? I dont think there is anything too special on there, this comp was our travel/ 3rd box, it did not get alot of usage. I completely trust my friend, the only way this could bite me in the a** is if it gets stolen by Macguyver...I'd rather not have to go to Best Buy and crack the thing open. So what's the easy way?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:07 pm 

Let me locate my directions on wiping the hard drive out. I know this since years ago I got the instructions from a Dell tech and wrote them down because I was tired of calling them up all the time getting charged. It hopefully will work on your computer. I'll post it later today or night.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:35 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

Just google it Gus...it really isn't that hard...about 4 steps and you are finished.

Vince Lombardi

Henry David Thoreau

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:39 pm 

Still looking for those instructions wiping the hard drive out. BB is right you could remove the hard drive most secure way. I'll keep looking for the instructions.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:12 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

took all of 5 seconds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpVh4nQDAD0

Vince Lombardi

Henry David Thoreau

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:28 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

BirdBrain wrote:

Not really. I already tried these google type fix its. They all say the same thing 'go into your *** and press the appropriate button' to get to the certain DOS field. My google research for the Dell d600 told me to press F11, Ctrk+F11 as well as F2 AND F12...? These 'general' how to's dont really help, thus me specifying DELL in the OT.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:11 pm 

Gus, I'll find the directions soon. Just been sidetracked with other things if your willing to wait a bit.Hopefully it works on your Dell it did mine.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:27 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

thescout wrote:
Gus, I'll find the directions soon. Just been sidetracked with other things if your willing to wait a bit.Hopefully it works on your Dell it did mine.

thanks....no rush

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:55 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I've already hacked into your computers and dispensed all that personal info to the world at large via Iamfungus.com so don't worry. You are welcome.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:46 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

backnblack wrote:
I've already hacked into your computers and dispensed all that personal info to the world at large via Iamfungus.com so don't worry. You are welcome.

:P

I got the issue resolved! Nerds. God love em.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:34 pm 

fun gus wrote:
Nerds. God love em.

God maybe, not ogres...

Profile E-mail