It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:13 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: hurt locker
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:10 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Saw if finally tonight. Interesting movie but not sure why it won an academy award. It certainly gave a glimpse of the hellishness of the Iraq War and the complexities of the relationships of team mates. I never did quite catch exactly what is meant by "hurt locker" though. :oops:

Post subject: Re: hurt locker
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:10 am 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

It means the place of ultimate pain — a painful place.

Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser.
Vince Lombardi

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:59 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Did they ever broach that in the film? I had never heard it used anywhere. I had wondered if it was a term for the locker they sent all the dead soldier's personal effects back home in. I hope you weren't the template for the clueless army psychologist! :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:18 am 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

backnblack wrote:
Did they ever broach that in the film? I had never heard it used anywhere. I had wondered if it was a term for the locker they sent all the dead soldier's personal effects back home in. I hope you weren't the template for the clueless army psychologist! :shock:

I haven't seen it yet, so I couldn't say...

But it has been my experience that directors always make the military psychologist "clueless".The crazier the soldiers, the more clueless the psychologist...although it is usually a psychiatrist...who ARE clueless.From what I gathered in articles I've read etc...it was classic Hollywood. A soldier who fit that kind of profile would have been pulled from the line ASAP in real life.

One thing I always kept in mind during evals was until one experiences combat, one can't relate to the aftermath. That's why "shrinks" always come across as "clinical". And soldiers all handle it differently...but Command always wants the "body" back ASAP.

Vince Lombardi

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:08 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

BirdBrain wrote:
backnblack wrote:

But it has been my experience that directors always make the military psychologist "clueless".The crazier the soldiers, the more clueless the psychologist...although it is usually a psychiatrist...who ARE clueless.From what I gathered in articles I've read etc...it was classic Hollywood. A soldier who fit that kind of profile would have been pulled from the line ASAP in real life.

One thing I always kept in mind during evals was until one experiences combat, one can't relate to the aftermath. That's why "shrinks" always come across as "clinical". And soldiers all handle it differently...but Command always wants the "body" back ASAP.

I would think so...but it was kind of an interesting character who fit my view of all of us, i.e., a devil with a halo on one shoulder and an angel with horns on the other whispering into the closest ear.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:28 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

backnblack wrote:
BirdBrain wrote:
backnblack wrote:

I would think so...but it was kind of an interesting character who fit my view of all of us, i.e., a devil with a halo on one shoulder and an angel with horns on the other whispering into the closest ear.

Again, I haven't seen the film, so I couldn't really discuss his portrayal. But isn't that classic Hollywood?? The Rebel without a cause?? Rebels, or characters we can relate to ,always do well because they pull us into the movie, making it a cathartic experience. At some point the movie has succeeded when we become the character, riding the emotional roller coaster of whether he (us) live or die. I think that is why the movie was so successful, because when the credits rolled, you felt like you had been there...

Vince Lombardi

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:52 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

backnblack wrote:
Saw if finally tonight. Interesting movie but not sure why it won an academy award. It certainly gave a glimpse of the hellishness of the Iraq War and the complexities of the relationships of team mates. I never did quite catch exactly what is meant by "hurt locker" though. :oops:

I didn't love it, but it was a good movie. I think it was intense in the right moments, and during many of the bomb scenes kept you on edge.

The only other best picture nominees I've seen are Avatar, Up, and District 9, and I certainly think it was the most deserving out of those.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:12 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I agree, Pudge. I didn't love it either but thought it was a good movie. Avatar bores me just watching the trailer. Talk about formula. I hate those SE driven flicks. As for Hurt Locker, if it is anywhere close to a portrayal of life in Iraq..and I think it surely has some truth to it..it makes you wonder what in the hell were they smoking when they decided to kick that thing off. Utterly hopeless.