All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jon Asamoah, OG, Illinois
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:06 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Jon Asamoah
6-4/305
Illinois Senior

PROS: Has good pop off the snap and gets position. Uses his hands well, locks on, and finishes his blocks. Shows good mean streak. Has the ability to adjust in space and shows good footwork in pass protection. Is mobile, pulls well, and hits his assigmnents. Does a nice job on the second level and shows some ability to cut block.
CONS: Lacks power and bulk to really drive defender at the point of attack. Can be stiff-hipped at times and has trouble with quicker defenders. Will lunge and overextend trying to deliver hand punch, and at times too much of a waist-bender. Doesn't always get the seal on the linebacker when blocking in space.
OVERVIEW: He's a polished guard that works well in a short area because of his hand use, but could get stronger. Started 37 straight games at right guard.
NFL FORECAST: I think he has the potential to play center or guard at the next level. I'm not aware of him having any experience playing the pivot, but if he doesn't take to guard as well as hoped initially a few years down the road he might make a better center. He's a solid workman that I think could come in right away and be a competent starting guard for some team. He probably would work best in a zone-blocking scheme or any scheme that likes to pull their interior linemen a lot or get them out on the second level. He is going to need to get stronger before he can reach his maximum potential. He's a workman-like player that I think can be a very good guard, although he may not be an elite guy because he possesses subpar athleticism. I'm not sure he'll ever be a true road-grader like many teams want at this position, but in a zone-blocking scheme he's a guy that can open holes for quicker backs because he gets good position and holds his blocks.
ATL FORECAST: Asamoah has a chance to stick in Atlanta because he has many of the traits that Boudreau likes. He could push Dahl right away for the starting right guard spot, but likely wouldn't win it. Probably wouldn't beat out Blalock initially because he's not used to playing on the left. But he could be ready to take over either one of the guard spots by his second year, and could potentially be moved to center by his third if/when McClure hangs it up. Basically, I suspect Asamoah will become a starter for the Falcons at one of the interior positions by the end of his third year and should be a nice fixture there. May not be an elite blocker, but can be a very effective guy that can be an above average to good run and pass blocker.
VALUE: Asamoah is a nice third round guard that could even get some looks in the latter part of the second round for a zone-blocking team looking for an immediate contributor on the right side.

SKILLS
1-poor, 2-weak, 3-above average, 4-very good, 5-elite

STRENGTH: 3.0
PASS BLOCKING: 3.5
RUN BLOCKING: 3.5
FOOTWORK: 3.5
TECHNIQUE: 3.5
MOBILITY: 4.0
MEAN STREAK: 4.0

Profile E-mail