All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rodger Saffold, OT, Indiana
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:59 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

RODGER SAFFOLD
6-4/316
Indiana Senior

PROS: Is a good athlete with nice size. Is a knee bender that gets into his stance quickly and shows some pop off the snap. Initiates contact and can get position. Can get out on the second level and block.
CONS: Whiffs on too many blocks and misses assignments on the second level. Doesn't lock on and needs to improve his hand use. Lacks the strength and power to get push. Needs to improve his base and gets bull-rushed too easily. Struggles with speed rushers and opens his stance too early.
OVERVIEW: Played left tackle for the Hoosiers, but would be overmatched there on the next level. He's a player that was best when covered up by a tight end, which is a better fit at right tackle.
NFL FORECAST: Saffold has the potential to play multiple positions, so the team that drafts him can move him around if need be. He was a four-year starter at left tackle, so he lacks the experience of playing other positions, but his skillset is such that he should be able to adapt. He could play left tackle in the NFL, but I think would struggle there. I think he'd be able to impact sooner as a right tackle or guard. I think it's going to take some time before he finds his stride in the pros, and he'll probably sit the bench for two years before he can be expected to impact. At the least, he should make a nice backup with the potential to play either tackle spot and guard as well. Not sure he'll be a top starter, but he has the potential to be effective.
ATL FORECAST: Not sure he'd do well in Atlanta. While he's a better athlete than Clabo, I don't think he'd be an improvement at right tackle. He could be a nice swing tackle for the Falcons, but would be overmatched if he was asked to play extended periods at left tackle for an injured Baker. He could push for a starting job inside, which I think is probably his best chance to succeed, but he doesn't offer much more upside than guys like Dahl and Blalock already do. He'd probably be a backup for the forseeable future in Atlanta, and even if he earned a starter's spot two or more years down the line, he wouldn't be any better than what the Falcons already have.
VALUE: He's a mid-round pick that would be a reach if taken before the fourth round. I'd probably wait until the fifth round to snag him.

SKILLS
1-poor, 2-weak, 3-above average, 4-very good, 5-elite

STRENGTH: 2.5
PASS BLOCKING: 2.5
RUN BLOCKING: 3.0
FOOTWORK: 3.0
TECHNIQUE: 2.5
MOBILITY: 3.0
MEAN STREAK: 3.0

Profile E-mail