40 Time: 4.44
Projected: 1st-2nd

Positives:

- Incredibly quick
- Able to reach his top speed quickly
- Doesn't lose his speed through his routes
- Great deep threat, tracks the ball well over his shoulder
- Strong hands
- Incredible leaper and does an excellent job of high pointing the football and attacking
- Elusive in the open field
- Good vision
- Hard runner who is tough to bring down
- Isn't afraid to go over the middle
- Former RB who has great ability after the catch
- Productive in pro-style offense
- Has already run a lot of pro routes
- Very versatile, can line up at RB, WR, KR and PR
- A lot of potential

Negatives:

- A bit small
- Still relatively new to WR position
- Needs to improve his route running
- Won't offer much as a blocker, though he is physical
- Has a tendency to body catch some passes, though he rarely drops them

Overview:

Golden Tate is a great player that will be able to contribute in the NFL right away. He is a bit small but has great quickness and he is a powerful runner. That comes from being a former RB. He was extremely productive at Notre Dame and I think he will be in the NFL as well. He is dangerous after the catch and can be a threat in the Wildcat as well as in the slot. He still needs a little more coaching on route running and blocking but he is extremely talented for a man who hasn't played WR for long. Once he does improve in those areas he will be a big threat in the NFL

SKILLS
1-poor, 2-weak, 3-above average, 4-very good, 5-elite

SPEED: 4.0
HANDS: 4.0
AFTER CATCH: 5.0
BODY CONTROL: 4.0
RANGE: 4.0

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Golden Tate, WR, Notre Dame
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:16 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

GOLDEN TATE
5-11/202
Notre Dame Junior
40: 4.42

PROS: Has good speed and can challenge defenses vertically. Has good burst and gets a nice release because of it. An explosive runner with the ball with his hands, showing strength and power to break tackles and has nice vision as a runner when working out of the wildcat. Makes a quick move upfield and dangerous in space. Has good, strong hands. Does good job on the jump balls because of his leaping ability and strength to make the grab in traffic.
CONS: At times can be a lazy route-runner. Body catches way too much. Shows almost no serious interest in blocking. Has a tendency to dance too much as a return threat and will take chances looking for the big play. Doesn't always show the best ball security with the ball in his hands. Is passionate, but there are times where it can border on too passionate.
OVERVIEW: Really emerged as their go-to option on offense due to injury to Michael Floyd early in the year, and responded with 93 catches (16.1 avg) and 15 touchdowns as a receiver. Added 186 rushing yards, 2 touchdowns, and 1 punt return for a score. Averaged 20.7 yards on 44 career kickoffs and 11.0 on 26 total punt returns.
NFL FORECAST: Tate is more of a good athlete playing receiver than a natural receiver. Which is to be understood since he played running back mainly in high school, and it shows when he gets the ball in his hands. He's a big play threat, but I'm not sure he's ever going to be reliable go-to receiver. Instead he would make a very nice complementary option and a stellar third option for an offense in the slot. He's a player like Percy Harvin that you want to give him opportunities to make plays whether that's in the wildcat, slot receiver, or on returns. And there is some thinking that because he's fairly new to the WR position, in time with good coaching he can learn. But I don't see him developing, and I don't see him ever as a go-to option. BUt as a complement he can be like Wes Welker, Percy Harvin, or Reggie Bush as a versatile option to have that can cause a ton of matchup issues when he's lining up against inferior corners and/or safeties.
ATL FORECAST: He is one of the few wideouts in this class that I think can be an upgrade over Douglas in the slot. He's not as natural a receiver as Douglas is, but he's a more explosive playmaker that is tough and fast that would be hard for a more polished player like Douglas to keep off the field because of his versatility to make plays from a variety of positions. I think he could evenutally develop as an outside option that could replace Jenkins as a No. 2, but initially he would be a third option. He would be a valuable asset that if he can be coached up can be an effective starter, although I'm not sure he's going to be a consistent weapon. He'll shine in Atlanta when he faces weaker No. 2 corners as Roddy draws more of the No. 1 guys. But the difficulty teams have with matching up with him would be a major boost to the offense because he can make teams pay for doubling Roddy, something Jenkins does not do.
VALUE: I see Tate as a second round pick, but I do think a team that already has steady, go-to options in the passing game looking for a complementary and situational weapon on offense could be smart to take him at the end of the first.

SKILLS

SPEED: 4.5
HANDS: 3.0
AFTER CATCH: 4.5

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Golden Tate, WR, Notre Dame
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:17 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Pros: Good speed, quickness and is very shifty in the open field. You can tell he is a former running back because he runs with surprising power for a smaller WR and can run through arm tackles with ease. That, combined with his good speed and quickness, makes him a serious threat in the open field. He flashes the ability to make very nice catches away from his body, and routinely demonstrates his ability to make catches in traffic or with a defender draped over him. Runs decent routes but has the quickness to run better ones. Has legitimate speed to threaten defenses deep in the NFL and good leaping ability.

Cons: Is a little undersized but has decent height. He has reliable hands, but will drop passes because he body catches very, very frequently. He shows the ability to catch the ball away from his body but rarely does it unless he is forced to. That can be coached up, but it is a concern because he will drop deep passes or fades as a result of it. He runs ok routes, but needs to put more effort in as a route runner on every play to create more separation on a consistent basis and to set up other routes, such as double moves, later in the game. He isn’t a very good blocker despite his physicality as a runner after a catch.

Overall: He has good potential as a receiver, and I think his ceiling is a quality #2 (similar to his role at Notre Dame) whereas his floor is a #3 or #4 receiver who can make an impact situationally when they can get the ball into his hands. Personally I think he can make a significant impact as a slot receiver as a rookie, and after that if he continues to grow as a receiver he can develop into the quality #2 I think he can be. I don’t think he will ever be a #1 though. He needs to improve his hands to catch passes away from his body as much as possible, not to mention he needs to show more effort as a route runner so he can create consistent separation in the NFL.

Projection: Late 1st-early 2nd: I think he could sneak into the late 1st round if a team is looking for more of a complementary receiver that could make an immediate impact in the slot. The Patriots are one such team that comes to mind. Otherwise he should go somewhere in the first 10 picks in the 2nd round.

SKILLS

SPEED: 4.0
HANDS: 3.0
AFTER CATCH: 4.0
ROUTE RUNNING: 2.5

http://tommeltonscouting.wordpress.com/

And check out the NFL Draft site I write for!

http://nfldraftmonsters.com/

Profile E-mail