All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dimitri Nance, RB, Arizona State
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:20 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Dimitri Nance
5-9/224
Arizona State Senior

PROS: Has good balance and burst showing nice footwork and elusiveness as a runner. Has a good jump cut. Will lower the shoulder and break arm tackles. Has nice speed and shows good patience as a runner. Has good hands and adjusts to the ball in the air.
CONS: Is too patient at times and dances way too much. Doesn't attack the defense and will try to juke east and west rather than going north and south. Will drop some passes from time to time. Not as powerful as his size would merit.
OVERVIEW: He didn't become the lead back until his senior year. He's a player that looks the part, but plays more like a 205-pounder than a 225-pounder.
NFL FORECAST: Nance has a chance to impress teams as a reserve, and I see him sticking somewhere because he's a guy that can do well against lesser talent in preseason games. But I'm not sure he's got quite the skillset to really rise up the depth chart. He's one of those players that I think can land a reserve job, but will sit as a No. 3 back for a number of years and never really get a chance to really show his ability on offense. If he was a more powerful runner, I'd like his chances. I think he'll have to impact on special teams in order to really have a chance at longevity in the pros. He's a capable runner, but he's really nothing special. And for most teams, at some point in the next two to three years someone else will come along that is as good if not better and will be able to play special teams and make him expendable. He could be a decent third down option. I think his NFL career will be comparable to those of Chris Henry, the Titans RB, who really did nothing in three years as a reserve in Tennessee.
ATL FORECAST: Nance could possibly land the No. 3 job here in Atlanta, but probably only if the team moves Snelling to fullback full-time. While he could shine enough in preseason to impress the team, he really doesn't offer much in terms of upside that makes you think he'd be an improvement over Snelling. He's not as good on third downs and isn't as powerful despite being a similar size as Snelling. He's probably quicker, but that's about it. He is a practice squad guy that could stick in Atlanta for a summer or two, but unless he proves to be an ace on special teams probably wouldn't last much longer than that.
VALUE: Some team might use a seventh round pick on Nance, which wouldn't be a bad move. But only if the team is looking for a backup that can push another one of their backups. His upside is too limited to think he'll be a significant contributor on offense.

Profile E-mail