It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:17 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Russell Okung, OT, Oklahoma State
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:44 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Pros: Great size, good lateral agility, long arms, good footwork, sound technique as far as pass blocking, mirrors speed rushers well, is strong and plays with good leverage, does a pretty good job of bending at the knees, not the waist, gets out of his stance and into his pass set well, once he gets his hands on the pass rusher the play is usually over for that player, handles inside moves well and doesn't get caught out of position, is a reasonably good run blocker and can drive block when he stays low, plays with a bit of a nasty demeanor at times and plays through the whistle on most plays.

Cons: Isn't a road grader as a run blocker, but occasionally will get a good drive block in. He is a little more of a wall off type. Will occasionally lean into his blocks too much in the run game and occasionally will lose his balance and fall down. It is pretty rare to see him fall down, but with some coaching I think he would learn not to lean into his blocks so much. He also reaches a bit when facing speed rushers when he doesn't get his hands on them and they get upfield and try to get around him. He doesn't often let them but sometimes it is a result of him reaching, though that isn't a serious issue. He also doesn't seem to be the best cutblocker, but I haven't seen him attempt cut blocks often enough to say that with absolute certainty.

Overall: He is the top OT, and thus, top LT prospect in this draft in my opinion. He is already a good pass blocker with good technique, athleticism, feet and lateral agility. He may not be ready to start right away, but I think he will compete for playing time and potentially the starting job as a rookie depending on where he goes. For a team with a need at LT he will be a very good fit. He may not be a road grading OT, but he will be a quality pass blocker in the NFL for years to come.

Projection: He should be a top 5 pick, but if he's not he won't last any longer than 6 where the Seahawks select.

SKILLS
1-poor, 2-weak, 3-above average, 4-very good, 5-elite

STRENGTH: 4.0
PASS BLOCKING: 5.0
RUN BLOCKING: 3.5
FOOTWORK: 4.5
TECHNIQUE: 4.0
MOBILITY: 3.5
MEAN STREAK: 3.5

http://tommeltonscouting.wordpress.com/

And check out the NFL Draft site I write for!

http://nfldraftmonsters.com/

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Russell Okung, OT, Oklahoma State
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:59 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Russell Okung
6-5/302
Oklahoma State Senior

Pros: A good athlete with good feet and adjusts well in space. Does a good job as a run blocker, getting position, and shows potential as a drive blocker. Can seal the edge. Flashes ability to dominate linebackers at the second level. Athletic, can pull and shows potential as a cut blocker.
Cons: Needs to improve his technique, opening up his stance a bit at times. Needs to play with better base and gets bull-rushed too easily. Needs to play with more consistent pop as a run blocker. Has to improve his hand use, as he doesn't consistently initiate contact and doesn't quite know how to redirect pass rusher to give them the longest angle to the quarterback. At times will whiff on blocks, miss assignments when pulling, and can get stood up in the hole against smaller linebackers.
Overview: Okung has all the tools you like, but his technique is a bit raw and inconsistent. He tended to have more issues with the bull rush and physical ends than the speed rushers. Started at right tackle as a freshman before moving to left tackle.
NFL Forecast: Okung can come in right away and compete in the NFL. But I don't think he'll be a good rookie off the bat. He'll be decent, but he's not the person I'd want on an island right away, especially if he's playing on a bad line. But his potential is great. He's a good run blocker, just needs to play with more pop there. He has the footwork you love in a blindside protector, but coaches need to work on his hand use and get him to play with better base. I think many of his issues could be improved once he hits an NFL weight room and could stand to put on another 10-15 pounds of muscle. He's a guy that is going to have to be coached up. I think he'll wind up having a good NFL career, but depending on how good the coaching is will determine just how good. He has the potential to be one of the best dual threat left tackles in the league. The thing you notice about him is that there are about a half dozen plays per game that you see his dominant potential. Then there are another half dozen that leave you scratching your head. And then the rest of the game, he's just effective. A good coach can turn most of those effective plays into really good ones.
ATL Forecast: Okung would be an upgrade over Baker in the running game. But probably not going to be better, at least not immediately in pass protection. He's a good player and if Boudreau can mold him like he's done some of the lesser talented players, he should develop into a top blocker. He might be a better fit on the right side because of his run blocking potential. Bulk him up some and he could replace Clabo there and would be a better option against the more athletic ends in the league. He and Baker would be very good bookends, and if Boudreau can make him a more consistent, impactful run blocker, he could become of the league's top right tackles here in Atlanta.
Value: Okung's potential makes him worth a Top 10 pick. I'd be a bit hesitant to take him in the Top 5 because he needs so much more polish.

SKILLS
1-poor, 2-weak, 3-above average, 4-very good, 5-elite

STRENGTH: 4.0
PASS BLOCKING: 4.0
RUN BLOCKING: 4.0
FOOTWORK: 4.0
TECHNIQUE: 3.0
MOBILITY: 4.0
MEAN STREAK: 3.0

Profile E-mail