All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tim Tebow, QB, Florida
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:11 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Tim Tebow
6-3/245
Florida Senior

Pros: Has a strong arm that has good zip and can thread the needle at times. Is a capable runner in the open field, showing good power and shiftiness. Will flash good touch and accuracy on some throws down the field. He is strong-willed, high character, and a very hard worker.
Cons: Has a questionable release and mechanics. Dips the ball very low on his windup which makes for a long release and could have issues with ball security. Has questionable footwork. Shows little anticipation, waiting for receivers to get open and holds onto the ball too long in the pocket. Doesn't always know when to get rid of the ball when he's scrambling and give up on a play. Has almost no experience working under center and throwing from a NFL pocket.
Overview: The Legend of Tim Tebow is well documented and everybody has their opinions about him and whether he can succeed at the next level as a pocket passer.
NFL Forecast: I think Tebow can eventually have success at the NFL level as a passer. But he's going to take time and teams will have to be patient. But even with success, I don't think he'll ever be a franchise passer. He just has too many bad habits to think that even with great coaching that they will evaporate. His mechanics will never be great, but they can be tweaked enough, particularly with his footwork that they won't be a huge liability like a Byron Leftwich. I also question his ability to respond to adversity. No one can question his toughness, character, leadership, or work ethic, but I haven't seen too many instances where Tebow was asked to respond to adversity. And the one instance that sticks out in my mind is him crying at the end of the SEC Championship game. That was simply too much emotion for me to be comfortable. I think if he plays early in his career, he's going to be hit a lot, turn the ball over quite a bit, and basically struggle, and I'm not confident that there is some fragility there with his own confidence. Particularly if he's thrown to the wolves very early. I think the best thing for Tebow is to sit back, get work in certain packages to take advantage of his athletic talents. The best thing for Tebow is playing for a progressive coach who will gear his offense to his strengths which will be a wide-open spread attack that mirrors the offense he ran at Florida quite a bit. But trying to convert him into a traditional pocket passer will never work, and anybody who tries will fail horribly. I have no doubts that Tebow can be a starting quarterback, and be semi-successful. His game is like if you could blend Michael Vick and Byron Leftwich together. Both of whom won games and were playoff quarterbacks. And since he has strong leadership potential, there's reason to hope that he can have more success than those two. But at the end of the day, he's too limited a passer to be able to win championships. It feels odd to say, but Tebow is rawer as a passer than Vick was when he came into the league.
ATL Forecast: If Tebow was amenable to playing a slash role, then he could work in Atlanta. He would fit best as an H-back out of the backfield in Atlanta's offense. But I doubt Tebow would want to play such a role, and particularly on a team that has very little questions at quarterback. So unless the Falcons believed they could package Tebow for some good picks down the road, it'd be a wasted pick.
Value: Tebow is too raw to draft early in the draft. I'd wait until the third or fourth round to draft him. Purely as a quarterback, I'd take him in the late rounds, but his intangibles and the potential versatility that he could add to an offense bumps him into the fourth round range.

SKILLS
1-poor, 2-weak, 3-above average, 4-very good, 5-elite

ARM STRENGTH: 4.0
ACCURACY: 2.0
MOBILITY: 4.0
DECISION MAKING: 2.5
MECHANICS: 1.0
POCKET AWARENESS: 1.5
INTANGIBLES: 4.5

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Tim Tebow, QB, Florida
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:08 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

Tim Tebow - QB/FB/TE - Florida
Height: 6'3
Weight: 235
40 Time: 4.60
Projected: 2nd-3rd

Positives

- Great size
- Great experience vs. top competition
- Very athletic for his size
- Has an above average arm
- Can escape pressure
- Power runner and can lower his head to pick up extra yards
- Extremely passionate about the game
- Tremendous Leader
- Intangibles are unquestionable

Negatives

- Will most likely have to change positions in the NFL
- Doesn't play in a pro-style offense
- Doesn't take snaps from under center
- Bad footwork
- Misses open targets
- Isn't asked to read defenses so he doesn't have this ability yet
- Very long throwing motion
- Doesn't have pure speed

Overview

Tim Tebow is one of the most intriguing prospects to ever come out. On one hand he has managed to dominate in college and is an extremely great individual that possess all of the intangibles you want from your franchise QB. However, on the other hand you have a poor passer who plays in a goofy offense that does not translate to the NFL at all. He has a lot to overcome if he ever wants to become a QB in the NFL. With his work ethic he could shock everyone and pull it off but it won't be for several years and coaching. He can, however, make an immediate impact to a team in their Wildcat package. His powerful running ability and his ability to throw will make defenses hesitant when he comes out in the wildcat.

SKILLS

ACCURACY: 2.5
MOBILITY: 3.5
MECHANICS: 1.5
POCKET AWARENESS: 2.0
INTANGIBLES: 5.0

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Tim Tebow, QB, Florida
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:09 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Pros- Has good size, good arm strength and zip on his passes and flashes good accuracy and touch. He is an incredible leader with off the chart intangibles as well as a great work ethic, and that makes him hard to doubt in the NFL for me. He has good mobility to buy time outside of the pocket as well as pick up yardage with his legs. He also flashes the ability to go through more than just one or two progressions at times, not to mention he shows the ability to change plays and make adjustments to blitz pick-ups at the line of scrimmage.

Cons- He started for three years in a spread offense, worked almost exclusively out of the shotgun and when he was at the Senior Bowl he struggled taking snaps from under center during the week. He needs work on his 3, 5 and 7 step drops from under center as well as some footwork improvement when he is in shotgun, though his footwork isn’t as bad as I feared it would be. His throwing motion, however, is. He has made significant improvements to this, but I am always wary of players changing their throwing motion they have been using their whole lives and had great success with in the college ranks like Tebow did. It is often a recipe for disaster or disappointment. He has pretty good accuracy, but I question his pocket awareness as well as how he deals with pressure at times. He will throw off his back foot occasionally and at times will take a sack instead of throwing the ball away. He also needs to learn how to read a NFL defense because he will often go through one or two of his progressions and tuck the ball and look to run if there is no-where for him to throw.

Overall- I have been a very big Tebow critic for a long time, but I find myself believing that he can be a NFL QB after exclusively scouting him at long last. Obviously he has a lot to overcome such as significantly altering his throwing motion, learning to operate smoothly from under center, learning to read defenses from under center as well as from shotgun and then simply adjusting to the speed of the game in the NFL like all rookies have to do. For the longest time I didn’t think he could overcome all that, like I don’t think a lot of spread offense QB’s can. However, I think Tebow can do it. I don’t know if he will ever be an effective starter, but I can’t doubt that he will make a team and work hard as a back-up for two or three years to clean up his mechanics, learn to read defenses better and adjust to the pro game. If he can land in a situation like that where he has significant time to develop he could turn out to be a quality back-up and maybe even get a shot at being a solid starter down the line. But he can’t be drafted and expected to play within the first year or two, because he will struggle mightily in my opinion. But with his intangibles, his work ethic and his desire to prove everyone who has doubted him wrong… I find myself believing that he will be at worst a backup QB in the NFL and at best a solid starter who could give a team a spark at the QB position because of his leadership capability.

Projection: Late 2nd, early 3rd round- Someone could very well take him earlier, but I think in the 2nd round teams will start to look at him more seriously. Jacksonville, New England, Indianapolis, Washington and Miami are all teams I could see spending a 2nd or 3rd round pick on Tebow, and if I had to guess I’d say one of those five teams will end up with him on draft day.

SKILLS

ACCURACY: 2.0
MOBILITY: 3.5
MECHANICS: 2.0
POCKET AWARENESS: 2.0
INTANGIBLES: 5.0

http://tommeltonscouting.wordpress.com/

And check out the NFL Draft site I write for!

http://nfldraftmonsters.com/

Profile E-mail