It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:47 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Matt Ryan & John Abarham Talk And A Bad Call
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:56 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

First off, Matt Ryan completed less than 50 percent of his passes. That is awful, considering his passing yard total. Ryan made some great throws out there, from the deep bomb to White to an excellent 29 yard pass to Michael I actually caught a pass Jenkins. People say he is the reason that the Falcons lost, which is false. If Chris Houston can actually turn his head around, Jason Elam can hit some field goals in, and if they didn't call that pansy penalty on Peterson. As for Ryan's first pick, it was pretty god awful. Then, his second pick I was saying to myself even if it wasn't tipped I could have seen it being picked off. Porter read Ryan's eyes and I could have seen him making that pick. Ryan didn't even look at any of his options. He just saw Gonzalez and threw it. That really pissed me off, because Ryan is so much better than that. John Abraham didn't make the stat sheet tonight. I am pretty pissed off with his lack of big plays and I will take him off my avatar ( time to show my Roddy White love again). I still noticed and the refs noticed for once Abraham gets hold frequently. They called an obvious hold on a play where Abe had Brees. I just want to see Abe come up and make a darn play. The miss tackle on Thomas by him and Jackson was straight up a complete blooper. Last thing, I wanted to discuss was a PI on the Saints. It was quite obvious that Porter got tangled up with White and White still made the catch. Don't get me wrong, White didn't hang on to the ball and it would have been amazing if he did. Porter did make some contact with White and there should have been a PI. That got me all riled up and it left a bad taste in my mouth. Also, shout outs to Coleman, Nicholas , and Wire x3. Coleman for forcing a fumble after that terrible no PI call by Porter. Nicholas for recovering that fumble. Also, did anyone notice but Coy Wire singly handily kept the game exciting. He forced a fumble to help the Falcons have a shot, then he recovered his own strip, and he made a heads up play on the onside kick to recover. What a great job by Wire!

I'm a Devin Hester guy.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Matt Ryan & John Abarham Talk And A Bad Call
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:03 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Like I said if Ryan had a bad game I would change my Avatar that sophmore slump is on him hard......Man how much better would the secondry be if we would have just paid Jabari Greer He is good in Man and Zone he was beat by Roddy on that long play but I mean thats Roddy there. So Emmit here is my new Avatar. :cry:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:27 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

The sophmore slump isn't on him. You will see next week. Now, I have lived up to my promise as well. Roddy White is back and he won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

I'm a Devin Hester guy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:44 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

There was a lot of reasons the Falcons lost. Ryan played subpar. Dropped passes (mainly from Jenkins). Questionable blocking on the edge (mainly from Baker). Inconsistent and poor defense at times (particularly on 3rd downs in the 1st half). Mistakes on special teams (mainly from Elam) All of them worked in conjunction to cause the loss.

So it only takes too poor games to jump off that bandwagon Reezy?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:00 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I still think Ryan is the best QB we've had since 98, and there's a good chance since 84, so don't get me wrong. Still, he isn't winning games with his play, and we really need him to do so.

MF1

J. Mora JR.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:25 pm 

The loss of Norwood and Douglas have really hindered Ryan's growth at throwing the ball and giving him options. Norwood is lightening and defenses need to respect the speed. Douglas, no one has his ability on the roster to provide the sprinter speed we need from the slot. Lets face it other than Gonzo and White we don't have another reliable receiver. We had 8 men in blocking and it was easy for the defense to cover 2 guys.

Give Ryan weapons and he'll grow more and defenses can't pigeon hole the offense.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:56 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Pudge wrote:
There was a lot of reasons the Falcons lost. Ryan played subpar. Dropped passes (mainly from Jenkins). Questionable blocking on the edge (mainly from Baker). Inconsistent and poor defense at times (particularly on 3rd downs in the 1st half). Mistakes on special teams (mainly from Elam) All of them worked in conjunction to cause the loss.

So it only takes too poor games to jump off that bandwagon Reezy?

No not at all I do believe Ryan will be unstoppable when they put some players on O with some game changing speed besides "Never-Play" Norwood (Roddy is fast but he doesnt have like 4.3 speed) We need some guys like Mike Wallace from the Steelers. I just felt like I put the Madden Curse on Ryan with my Avatar so I had to change it plus that pic of Decoud is classic!!!!!!

P.S. They need to be able to catch....Not like Mike "Im a reciever but I cant recieve" Jenkins

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:15 pm 

Jenkins doesn't have bad hands. His drops come because of a lack of concentration, which is fixable. Robiskie and Smitty will set him straight.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:45 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:01 am 
Superstar
Superstar

On our max protect plays, we need to start telling the RB's to go out to the flat if there's no blitz so that Ryan can check down. Otherwise, Ryan is just going to take sacks.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:05 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Pudge wrote:
Jenkins doesn't have bad hands. His drops come because of a lack of concentration, which is fixable. Robiskie and Smitty will set him straight.

What are they waiting for then? Jenkins has been dropping passes for years.
Now he no longer has the "Vick throws it too hard" excuse :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:22 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Jenkins wasn't this bad last year. He has been in a funk for about a month now. Roddy was in a similar funk to start the year.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:18 pm 

SteveH wrote:
Pudge wrote:

What are they waiting for then? Jenkins has been dropping passes for years.
Now he no longer has the "Vick throws it too hard" excuse :shock:

Every receiver drops passes. People tend to forget this. Even a great like Marvin Harrison routinely had double digit drops in his prime.

Jenkins drop on Monday night came because he started to run before he secured the ball. Classic problem with concentration.

Jenkins' most recent drops have come at bad times. On Monday night recently, and another vs. the Bears that resulted in an INT. But at the end of the day, people need to take a deep breath and realize that we're not talking about a guy that is dropping 2 or 3 passes a game. People seem to be forgetting that for most of 2008 and the early part of this season, dropped passes were a distant thing of the past for Jenkins. But he drops a couple of passes the past few games, and all people can remember is the issues he had back in 2005 and 2006.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:35 pm 

Right now I think the bigger problem is the lack of a reliable running attack and the offensive line's pass protection has been breaking down as of late.

Unless Turner can start busting out like he did last night on a consistent basis the passing game will suffer. Teams will be able to load up the blitz and key on Matt Ryan.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:01 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Its not Jenkins hands I question, its his head!! Am I to believe all game long he's only open twice?

That's Jenkins problem with me; if he's open Ryan will find him. All game long for the last 4 weeks Jenkins is only
open twice.... That's just pathic, and really worse than dropping passes.... I can deal with some drops but I can't
take a fast 6'5 receiver not getting open; it really screws up our whole offense and you can come back to someone
who drops a pass and is open; but when he's never open I question everything about Jenkins.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:12 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Cyril wrote:
Its not Jenkins hands I question, its his head!! Am I to believe all game long he's only open twice?

That's Jenkins problem with me; if he's open Ryan will find him. All game long for the last 4 weeks Jenkins is only
open twice.... That's just pathic, and really worse than dropping passes.... I can deal with some drops but I can't
take a fast 6'5 receiver not getting open; it really screws up our whole offense and you can come back to someone
who drops a pass and is open; but when he's never open I question everything about Jenkins.

Right on the Money

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:04 pm 

I Rocks Wit Decoud wrote:
Cyril wrote:

Right on the Money

I think that's debatable since it's a popular opinion that Ryan keys on #88 way too much. So there may be times Jenkins is open a game, but the Iceman is too focused on trying to throw #88 open.

And for the record, Jenkins was thrown the ball 9 times on Monday night. Just as many times as Roddy White was. And so far this year, Jenkins has been thrown the ball 5.7 times per game. Last year, sans #88, Jenkins was thrown to for 18.7% of Ryan's passes. This year, he's been thrown to by Ryan for 17.2% of his passes. Not a huge dropoff, considering that the guy that wears #88 is taking up a huge chunk of passes (almost 4 times as much as last year's TEs combined). So based on those stats, one could argue Jenkins is getting even more open than usual. Now that probably has a lot to do with #88's presence on the field.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:43 am 
Superstar
Superstar

So you calling all those passes in the stands that keeps Ryan from being sacked to Jenkins?

Pudge I love your numbers. Of every single pass that Ryan has thrown to Tony, Jenkins was only open once
and that was 5 yards away and Tony caught the Td that was thrown to him instead; right before half time against the Bears.

You really think Gruden knows Jenkins has been sucking Monday night? They game him a prop and told him if Jenkins does something good say " This is what the Falcons need" If he does nothing say "Jenkins is letting down the organization."

I'm really surprised Jenkins hasn't picked up his game a little with the addition of Tony. That's why we're keeping 9 in;
Jenkins isn't getting open anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:18 am 

Yeah Jenkins is really earning his 5 million with how many TD catches in how many games?I know we have Turner, White and Gonzo but on the subject of getting open if Jenkins is on par getting the ball thrown to him as much as last year where are all his catches.This excuse that he is more of a blocking receiver is as bad as JAM being a good run stopping def end. You draft these guys in round 1 to produce and for receivers that is catch the ball,block not one or the other.

When Jenkins doesn't produce it hurts the team since defenders know he isn't making catches and they key on other players. It's anothe weapon lost in the offense. A 6'4 guy who disappears like Houdini.That's my new nickname for Jenkins "Houdini". :lol: :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:38 am 
Playmaker
Playmaker

I think we need to get finneran more involved. All he does is make plays when he is out there. You don't see him dropping passes that hit him in hands like Jenkins. Bench Jenkins and put finneran in. Make Jenkins earn his starting position.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:48 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

AtlGraff07 wrote:
I think we need to get finneran more involved. All he does is make plays when he is out there. You don't see him dropping passes that hit him in hands like Jenkins. Bench Jenkins and put finneran in. Make Jenkins earn his starting position.

Thats what I say let someone else take a shot, you see what happened to Grimes they benched him and he came back and played his ass off. competition always makes real players better. If they bench "Houdini" for Booker, Weems, or Finneran only two things he can happen respond like Grimes and come out and play up or even past his potential or he can pout about it and get butt hurt about the situation and fade away or he can demand a trade or something(dont think thats his style). Either way we will know if we need to get a number two in the off season. "Houdini" has basically started his whole career I have heard that he always has great practices but we dont need to pay a practice sqaud player 5 mil we need a gamer. I dont want the JJ Redick of the NFL on my team starting. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:31 pm 

Cyril wrote:
So you calling all those passes in the stands that keeps Ryan from being sacked to Jenkins?

Pudge I love your numbers. Of every single pass that Ryan has thrown to Tony, Jenkins was only open once
and that was 5 yards away and Tony caught the Td that was thrown to him instead; right before half time against the Bears.

You really think Gruden knows Jenkins has been sucking Monday night? They game him a prop and told him if Jenkins does something good say " This is what the Falcons need" If he does nothing say "Jenkins is letting down the organization."

I'm really surprised Jenkins hasn't picked up his game a little with the addition of Tony. That's why we're keeping 9 in;
Jenkins isn't getting open anyway.

Sorry Cyril, those are official stats. Jenkins had 9 passes thrown to him on Monday Night. Look it up yourself if you don't believe me.
thescout wrote:
Yeah Jenkins is really earning his 5 million with how many TD catches in how many games?I know we have Turner, White and Gonzo but on the subject of getting open if Jenkins is on par getting the ball thrown to him as much as last year where are all his catches.

There hasn't been a significant drop in production for Jenkins. Last year, looking at how many passes he caught vs. how many times he thrown, he caught 61.7% of the passes thrown his way. This year it's 55%. For comparison's sake, Roddy caught 59.5% of the passes thrown his way last year, while the number is 56.1% this year.
AtlGraff07 wrote:

Finneran can't beat man coverage and will be no serious challenge to Jenkins. Jenkins already has earned his starting position.
I Rocks Wit DeCoud wrote:
Thats what I say let someone else take a shot, you see what happened to Grimes they benched him and he came back and played his ass off. competition always makes real players better. If they bench "Houdini" for Booker, Weems, or Finneran only two things he can happen respond like Grimes and come out and play up or even past his potential or he can pout about it and get butt hurt about the situation and fade away or he can demand a trade or something(dont think thats his style). Either way we will know if we need to get a number two in the off season.

No, we don't need to know if we need to get a #2 this year. Because we don't need one.

I think all of this is just a gross overreaction to a string of subpar games for Jenkins. People act like this is year 3 or 4 of Jenkins being a poor player. You take the last 3 games in which Jenkins hasn't performed very well (but neither has his QB) and people act like they completely overshadow the previous 20 or so when Jenkins was actually a pretty good player.

If Jenkins continues to have drops in critical situations, then I'll be more in line with criticizing him. But the simple truth is that Jenkins is going to be a Falcon for the forseeable future, and unless he regresses a lot more than he has, then there is no reason to get rid of him.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:44 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

In the Chicago game if Jenkins would have caught that pass in the redzone instead of tipping it for an interception Ryan stats would have probably been alot bettter but just taking away that pic would have been led to a stat line like this 20 of 33 for 205 yds and 2 tds and one interception and a 117.7 QB rating so Jenkins was single handedly(funny since he has no hands) responsible for Ryan sub 70 QB rating

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:52 pm 

Yeah? What's your point. Because of that, we should go out and trade or use a #1 or #2 pick on a WR? Because if you're looking for an upgrade over Jenkins, that is what it's going to take to find one.

Next year, Harvey will be back and will push for more PT and the Falcons will have 3 very good WRs. Period.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:10 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Pudge I see where you are coming from but Jenkins is never gonna be the threat we need on Offense he is big and fast and average we need play makers on Offense and Jenks is not it. This is all Im saying without that catch he made in the Chicago game last year its like when ever things are going smoothly and everything Jenks makes nice catches and everything but when you really need him he vanishes in thin air(hint at the nickname Houdini) for example the drop in the NO game and in the patriots game why would a 6'4 wideout have to push off to make a catch on a 5'10 or 5'11 corner one on one thats when you make a play and Jenks doesnt do that He has been here since 04 and he just hasnt been consistent enough for me he to up and down and when he is at his best he is just slightly above average.