It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:39 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shelton Quarles to be released
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:52 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

There are rumors the Bucs will part ways with Shelton Quarles. Quarles is a classic Buc LB, small, but fast. He can play any of the 3 LB spots in the 4-3, and I think he woudl be a welcome addition here in Atalnta. He stands 6-1/225, so he's about the same size as Draft.

He's a smart player that is good in coverage. In the 3 years he's been a starter for the Bucs at MLB, he's recorded 297 tackles, 4.5 sacks, 2 interceptions, and recovered 2 fumbles. He'll be 34 this year, so his age of course is a concern. But if he can come for a cheap price (i.e. cheaper than Draft), I'd sign him and cut Draft, and then hope to draft a MLB in Round 4 or 5 this year to groom behind him.

Quarles also has experience at SLB, as he started there from '99 to '01. That means he could be insurance in case Demorrio doesn't take to the position as quickly as hoped.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:13 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

I like this idea a lot! Quarles is a fairly solid LB and would be an ideal 1 yr contract guy who could provide some quality depth. He has been starting for one of the best defenses in the NFL for the last few years, so you know how he can contribute. His versatility will come in handy as well. We still need a good run-stopping MLB, but there are several in the draft who would be good candidates. I like Grigsby a lot and hopefully we could get him in the 4th or 5th rounds. That would allow them to keep the cheaper of Stewart or Draft and let the other go. Then we could go select an OLB like Hagler from CIN later in the draft as well and have some very fast, athletic LBs with which to go into next season with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:36 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

Turning 34 years of age this year just doesn't get me doing cartwheels. I'd take my chances in the draft or a younger MLB in free agency and utilize Draft as the backup...