It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:53 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Who would you send to Europe?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:16 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I know some may be thinking Schaub, but I don't think Schaub is quite ready for that at this point in his career.

I know the team is likely to send many of the players that it added to the roster in the past few weeks (Mark Anelli, Adrian Archie, etc.), but I think there are a few roster players that I would also send to get work, since almost all those guys are just camp bodies...

I would probably send guys like Blakely, Jason Wright, Christian Morton, Khaleed Vaughn/Junior Glymph, and probably Etric Pruitt.

Like Reeves, thus far it looks like McKay/Mora don't really take advantage of the opportunity to send players overseas to develop.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 1:39 am 
Rookie
Rookie

How about Mosely the WR?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 4:19 pm 

Chad listed on the 2005 cap page, that we had assigned Shawn Mayer, Shawn Draper, Mark Anelli, Michael Brown, Mike Mabry, and Eric Joyce to Europe. I'm curious to know where he found this information.

None of these names really get my attention. Draper is a blocking TE/OT/LS. Depending on how big he is, may determine which position he plays for us. Mayer looks like a special teams body at best, and probably won't have much more impact on this team than Shabazz or McCadam. Anelli is a pass-catching TE, but one that is only marginal. Brown I think has good speed for LB, but he too is more like a special teams guy than anything. Mabry is an undersized center, and Joyce is another camp body.

Since teams rarely keep NFL Europe players unless they really shine in the off-season, I definitely don't see any of these guys making the roster.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 4:46 pm 
Role Player
Role Player

good question Pudge, I hadn't even thought of NFLE yet.

I Like the idea of sending Schaub though. The offenses there are generally a West Coast derivative and I am a fan of the the throw the QB to the wolves routine. So his wolves are more like really mean dogs with big teeth. But still if he performs then we know we have insurance, if he can't be at least average over there then we know we need a new long term back up plan.

I agree that our orginization needs to take better advantage of NFLE, my question is: Can Arthur turn the Force into a Flacons Farm league for corners, WRs, and QBs? I think that this is a great idea, send guys like Mosley and Morton over there to learn to play fast, sign a QB with a great release but maybe not the accuracy and head (Chris Rix?) and then send them to the arena so that all they think about is speed, and passing, and speed!! Put a clause in their contracts that says they can't go to any other NFL team for x amount of years without some form of compensation. I think it is an untapped gold mine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:12 pm 

Official list was released today:
http://www.atlantafalcons.com/team/article.jsp?id=4732

Romby Bryant is the only player to add to the list that Chad didn't list on the cap page.

Bottom line is that probably 1 or 2 of these players will probably be cut in Europe's training camp, and thus be cut by this team, and then all of them will come under the axe during our own training camp.

I think Brown, Joyce, and Mayer have the best chance of sticking on this roster. Brown because we could see some shakeup, depending on which backups (Ulmer, Johnson, and Duncan) are re-signed. Joyce because of the same reasons at cornerback. And Mayer could sneak in because the team is not particularly sold on the long-term futures of McCadam, Pruitt, or Shabazz. All are ST types anyway. But usually DeCamillis sticks with the guys he knows rather than newcomers, so Mayer has an uphill battle.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:13 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

Not listing Bryant was actually an oversight on my part. LOL!

I found out about the NFLE assignments about a week and a half ago. If I can ever find out what site Winkeljohn has access to for cap info you'll really see some eye-opening things....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:18 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I would only send skill players. Although you can argue that any position in the NFL takes a certain amount of skill. I am talking about sending WRs-Qbs-Corners-Fullbacks-and possibly Centers because they have to orchestrate the line.