It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:40 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fred Gibson your thoughts on this receiver
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:48 am 

Gibson really helped his stock in the Senior bowl and I know the falcon's talked to him.Would it be a surprise if the falcon's drafted Gibson in round 2? I don't think he would last to round 3. Gibson is an enigma seemed like he would show up half the time when playing at Georgia.He is a big target,ran good routes at the senior bowl and is a darkhorse for round 2 for the falcon's.I know we need a safety but round 3 might be where the safety is drafted.I don't like dradting enigma's to me if they can't show up to play in college why will they all the sudden turn on the lightbulb and have a work ethic in the pros?Money is nice but you have to have the work ethic.We have seen workout warriors before (Mike Mamula) who can't do it in the pros.How about a Mark Bradley from Oklahoma or Vincent Jackson 6-6 receiver in later rounds 4? It would not hurt the falcon's to get a big recevier that is a possession type since Knapp's offense is more dink and dunk passes and what corner can guard him? terrell owens isn't fast but he is one of the best yards after the catch.Can Jackson run routes well I think that is important since the atllanta receviers seem to have problems running routes.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Gotta Love his potential...
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:12 pm 
But I think he has really underachieved.... I would rather have Reggie Brown personally though I do love Gibson's size. I have seen Gibson look like Peerless Price many times missing easy catches and not giving much effort on tougher ones. Gotta take him in the 3rd if he is there though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:21 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

The last thing I think we should be looking at is a rookie WR. Just my opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:31 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

DenimJacket wrote:
The last thing I think we should be looking at is a rookie WR. Just my opinion.

I would disagree with that statement, based on one thing:

Peerless Price.

Price is due a $500K roster bonus in March 2006, and his cap hit accelerates from $3.7 million this year (2005) to $6.4 million in 2006. Cutting Price after this upcoming season would save the team about $714,000 towards the '06 cap, and we all can be pretty sure in saying that unless Price has a real breakout year this season, the team won't be willing to pay $6.4 million to a guy that is only going to catch 50 passes a season.

Also Dez White is a free agent after 2005. He too will need to up his play significantly if he's going to be re-signed by the Falcons, at least to be a starter. Also Brian Finneran might feel the axe as well. The team can purge $850,000 in salary by cutting him following this year as well.

So the team is probably in a position where they need to draft a WR, just for insurance reasons. There's no guarantee our Top 3 WRs will be returning after this upcoming season, leaving just Michael Jenkins as the one player that has a very strong chance of returning. That would mean the Falcons get the opportunity to start from scratch in 2006, but if our cap situation then is not much better than it is now (and its doubtful it will be), then we won't be able to sign veterans and then would have to rely on a rookie to get the job done.

So although I think Gibson is an underachiever as well, it may be a good decision for the team to take a chance on him at #59. He has size, and according to some, that will make him a better target here in Atlanta. I wouldn't expect Gibson to come in here and solve our WR problems, but he should be able to help. He's a big play WR that just needs to gain more consistency.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:57 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

I totally agree that we need another receiver. I would rather the team address this need via free agency rather than the draft. In the draft I hope we focus on speed on defense and the O-Line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:17 pm 
I worry about solving our WR and CB problems through free agency. We have a proven track record of over paying guys in what are already expensive overpriced positions. Maybe our nickel corner, but I think a fourth or fifth round guy could do that too. Now that being said we don't have a great track record of drafting CBs and WRs.... YET.... but after we see Jenkins and Hall develop maybe our fortunes will turn around. I like CB and WR early this year because we can let them sit behind established starters and develop while still playing some and producing on special teams ala what Jenkins did this past season.

As for Gibson, I wouldn't argue too much with him in the 2nd but I think we could find someone better. Although some say this kid could be the next Moss with the right motivation, who knows maybe $$$ is the right motivation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:29 pm 

We've all seen how well Gibson can play, and right now, I think its worth the risk to try and instill some life into this receiving corps to take him at #59 or possibly trading up a few spots to get him.

I agree, McKay's track record for drafting wideouts is not very polished. And he drafted Cover 2 corners in Tampa Bay, which are probably easier to find than guys that play mostly man coverage.

I agree there are better prospects than Gibson, and hopefully the Falcons can get one of them, but I think Gibson is a pretty good fit here in Atlanta. The things he needs to work on is his route-running and just being more physical. I don't think he'll ever really improve much in the latter area, because a "soft" receiver I think will always be soft (see Randy Moss, Plaxico Burress, Marvin Harrison, and Torry Holt), but they can learn to use their own nature a bit better. And from some reports out of Mobile, he did a pretty good job running routes at the Senior Bowl.

So to be honest, with his size and improving stock, I don't expect Gibson to fall out the Top 50, but if he has a lacking 40 time (runs slower than 4.5), then he may slip to us a little bit. But I do believe that if we do want Gibson at this point, we must trade up maybe at least 10-15 spots or so to get him.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Fred Gibson Interview
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:58 am 
Former FRN Affiliate
Former FRN Affiliate

Good posts on this guy. I'm kinda watching him as well. The only knock Ive read consistently is that he has had issues with dropped balls. He certainly has the nfl size and power to be a player in this league. I think he did good at the senior bowl. He will either slide or gain more on boards at ProDay and NFL Combine next month.

Interview with Fred Gibson
By Denis Savage
Date: Feb 6, 2005

Wide receivers have been growing faster than a beanstalk in recent years. It used to be 6-foot-2 was tall but they are being dwarfed as 6-foot-4 is becoming the norm. Looking for that next red zone threat that can go above the defender? It would appear the Browns, Chargers, Chiefs, Dolphins, Giants and Rams are in the market for such a player.

Georgia wide receiver Fred Gibson has been on the draft map for several years. With his size advantage, he has been earmarked by NFL teams as someone to watch.

But drops and injuries have plagued his career and pushed him outside of the first round – for now. Senior Bowl and the Indianapolis Combines provide chances for Gibson to elevate his stock and turn the tide on the naysayers.

“I wanted to show the scouts that I am the type of wide receiver that they would possibly want in the NFL,” Gibson said of his Senior Bowl experience. “Just go out there and show them what I am capable of doing.”

Displaying big play ability at Georgia was his trademark. He ended his career with ten 100-yard performances, tying the school record. The final tally on his Bulldog career saw him place second in receiving yards and touchdowns while placing third in team annals in total receptions.

He had thirty plus receptions in each of his four seasons at Georgia and as a senior snared 49 receptions for 801 yards.

Gibson says he had seasons where he was never 100 percent healthy and that robbed him of his abilities. Hamstring pulls and a knee bruise during his junior season took away his ability to create separation.

This offseason he dedicated himself to enhancing his endurance by training in Arizona at Athlete’s Performance, a training facility that specializes in maximizing the potential of football prospects.

He understands that this is the time of year when those measurables come into play. Height, speed, athleticism and agility. His hope is the training he has endured this offseason parlays into bigger things in April.

“That is what it is all about,” says Gibson. “Everyone wants to see what you ran, what you jumped. It is just the way of life. That is how it goes. These are steps you have to make before the draft. It is something we have to do.”

The former basketball player – he played two seasons with the Georgia team as a reserve – can fill two roles for a team. Not only is he a wideout who can do some damage, he also has been used as a kick returner with some success.

At the Senior Bowl, Gibson was a steady receiver and saw time returning kicks. He caught the ball well and even earned praise from one of his quarterbacks.

“Fred Gibson does a great job after the catch,” Auburn quarterback Jason Campbell said.

For all his work on the field, what he does off the field is just as important this time of year. The Senior Bowl was a chance to get to meet the teams who showed interest in the Georgia receiver and make an impression with his character.

“It starts with all of these meetings, these interviews,” Gibson said of the process in Mobile . “I wanted to show them I am not only a great football player but a great person.
“They ask you personal stuff that you have to tell them, like have you ever been arrested. They want to know about your character. Most teams don’t want a bad person in their organization so they just want to find out anything about you.”

And what does he bring to a team as far as leadership goes?

“You have different leaders, different types of leaders. You have a person that speaks, a person that does his thing on the field and leads by example, you have a whole lot of leaders. I am the type of leader that does it on the field, leads by example.”

Gibson hopes he can turn his traits into a high pick in April and lead his new team into the end zone. With so many teams seeking a big play threat, his height and speed would put him at an advantage. Combined with his personality, Gibson sees it as a win-win for the team that selects him.

Site Owner
http://www.TheDallasCowboys.Net
http://www.CowboysBoard.Com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:38 am 

Thanks Joe. Normally Gibson is the type of player that i would say no to. He was an underachiever in college, and usually that translates to the pros as well. But I'm so desperate for WR help, I think he's worth taking a shot at in Round 2. But again, he's climbing up boards and he could even sneak into the Top 40 or possibly 1st round if a team is crazy enough. Someone like the Eagles could take him at #31 if they like him enough.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:04 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

I just can't get over the inconsistency ESPECIALLY in the big games...