It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:06 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pudge or other Virginians
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:02 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I know Pudge cant post for two weeks or something but maybe you can answer this when you come back or maybe an other Virginian knows.

What does "Speed Limit Enforced by Aircraft" mean?

Post subject: Re: Pudge or other Virginians
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:04 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

vickisthebest wrote:
I know Pudge cant post for two weeks or something but maybe you can answer this when you come back or maybe an other Virginian knows.

What does "Speed Limit Enforced by Aircraft" mean?

The Aircraft will chase you down, and shoot missiles at you, until you stop...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:45 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

The Aircraft will chase you down, and shoot missiles at you, until you stop...

heh, thats what I figured.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:17 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Bump

Pudge? Not a clue?

Can I get a serious response? Is it satalites(sp) that signal down to cops?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:08 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

To be honest, I don't really know the bonafide truth behind those signs. But here's what I figure:

There are no VA state police patrolling in those areas, so you have license to speed. I've seen those signs for years, but have never once seen an aircraft actually patrolling in the skies (but maybe that's the point...)

But supposedly they can track your speed by measuring (from the air) how long it takes you to go between certain points that are marked on the road. And then I believe they signal a state trooper somewhere up the road to get you.

When I see those signs, I just speed up to 85 or higher, because I think my chances of getting a speeding ticket are significantly lower. It has worked for me thus far, but I make no promises and won't pay any fines or court fees if you decide to take such advice.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:24 pm 

Out here in the Portland/Vancouver area there are signs on the Oregon side of the I-5 bridge that say "OSP enforces traffic with aircraft." I know the Sheriff's department in Multnomah County (which is were Portland sits) and the Oregon State Patrol have at least one helicopter and a cessna style aircraft they can patrol with.

Typically the aircraft are used when something such as drugs are involved. I've never actually seen or known of aircraft being used to regulate traffic speed laws. I would think it would cost too much money to have an aircraft in the air eating $1,000's in jet fuel to hand out 5 or 6 $200 speeding tickets.

It could be state law that the law enforcement agency needs to warn citizens that they are capable of doing this. That and it's kinda the scarecrow effect that might get people to think twice about what they are doing.

I'm fairly sure here in Washington State there is a law that states police cruisers must be visible at all times for safety. Which of course hampers their ability to conduct speed stings. But I'm guessing it's a similar thing with the aircraft.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:54 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I'm fairly sure here in Washington State there is a law that states police cruisers must be visible at all times for safety. Which of course hampers their ability to conduct speed stings. But I'm guessing it's a similar thing with the aircraft.[/quote]

that's pretty much standard across the nation as far as I know...if you can't see the cop and they are clocking you then it's entrapment...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:06 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I didnt know other states had similarities of this. I never seen it except in Virginia. But then again the only states Ive been in is every state down the Atlantic coast from NJ down, and Penn.

I just found out its illegal here in NJ for a police officer to be engaged in a high speed pursuit. This cop said they do but its against protocol or something?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:02 pm 

I've never seen that sign in Washington State. I do know that certain police departments in the Portland suburbs are enacting a "no chase" policy to prevent accidents in high speed chases.