It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:58 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Brentson Buckner available in next few weeks,Falcon's?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:45 pm 

Future Falcons - Brentson Buckner
By Dean Legge Publisher
Date: Jan 31, 2005

Teams are always looking to upgrade their talent, especially on the defensive line. It appears one veteran defensive tackle could be on the market in the coming weeks.

Brentson Buckner, who played for Carolina in 2004, is interested in coming back for a twelfth season in the NFL, according to the Charlotte Observer. Bucker played his college ball at Clemson before playing with the Steelers from 1994 to 1996.
Buckner played with the Bengals in 1997 and then played three seasons in San Francisco before signing with Carolina in 2001. He has been with the Panthers ever since.

But according to the Observer article, Buckner, who was once interested in retiring after 2004, is now eager to play at least one more season. “He’s fired up to play now,” George Mavrikes, Bucker’s agent, told the Observer. “He’ll play it’s whether it will be in Carolina or somewhere else.”

Atlanta’s Ed Jasper will likely retire and that leaves a void in the Falcons’ defensive line. Antwan Lake is Jasper’s back up, but the Falcons’ don’t have a 3rd string defensive tackle. Atlanta could address their depth issue at defensive tackle, but this year’s Draft is not overloaded with talent at that position.

Bucker has recorded 272 tackles, 30 sacks, two interceptions, and 29 tipped balls in 11 years with the Panthers, 49ers, Bengals, and Steelers.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:39 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I'm not a fan of Buckner. I think he's just a body that looks better because he plays beside 3 of the best D-linemen in the NFL. He was outplayed IMO by Kindal Moorehead this past year, the guy that was the #3 in 2003, and likely to be Buckner's replacement if the Panthers part ways with him this year.

Buckner is a decent starter, but IMO he's not that much better than Travis Hall. In fact, I'd take Hall over Buckner in a heartbeat, assuming things like salary cap were equal.

If the Falcons are looking to add any veteran DTs this off-season that are going to be cap casualties, they should look no further than Mora's former team: the 49ers. If the 49ers part ways with Bryant Young, the Falcons would be stupid to not make an offer. Despite his age (just turned 33 last week), I think he is still one of the best DTs int he league. Sure you could say that he hasn't had more than 3.5 sacks since 2000, but I think that's a reflection more on the subpar talent around him. Look at his linemates the past 2 years: Anthony Adams and Travis Kirschke, both of whom should have been backups. IN '01 and '02 it was Dana Stubblefield, but he was a shell of his former self that played in San Fran pre-1998. You put Young beside Rod Coleman and rotate him with Chad Lavalais, and I'd be willing to guarantee he has at least 7 sacks in 2005. The only questions in my mind are: 1) Can Young be as successful at the nose tackle position?
and 2) How much of a paycut would he be willing to play for in Atlanta?

If YOung doesn't tickle yoru fancy, then what about Kevin Carter? He still has some DE quickness. He had 6 sacks lining up mostly at DT this past year. Still not satisfied? How about Dan Wilkinson, Kimo von Oelhoffen, Jason Fisk, or Gerard Warren? All are potential cap cuts and all have experience playing the nose position. Now before you sound off on me about how Warren is a turd, I will say that he has never played beside a linemate that resembles Rod Coleman in Cleveland, although I think Orpheus Roye is solid, but he's no Coleman. Warren, if in a steady rotation at NT with Lavalais could be a very productive player.

I still firmly believe that Rodney Bailey is a great fit for this team, but I'm willing to "settle" for guys like Chidi Ahanotu or James Reed. I know none of those names really get you excited, and again I'll state that I don't think Lavalais is ready. But I'm willing to have him start this year in order to accelerate his development, and also to avoid taking it in the rear cap-wise on an average-to-above avg. starter at DT. I don't think it's all about who is the starter, but more importantly depth. We cannot enter next season with Antwan Lake penned as our #3 or even #4. We need to add 2 quality reserve guys (at least) that can force Lake off this roster. I'm hoping one is a veteran, and the other is a rookie.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: I agree Young or Carter but isn't Carter a def end?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:09 am 

Bryant Young would bring leadership to the falcon's and talent.I have always liked him as a player and would by the falcon's another year so they can bring a young rookie along or Lavalias.At one time I thought Buckner was good he must have gone downhill.Carter if he was switched to def tackle would be nice also.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:19 am 
Role Player
Role Player

Pudge wrote:
If YOung doesn't tickle yoru fancy, then what about Kevin Carter? He still has some DE quickness. He had 6 sacks lining up mostly at DT this past year. Still not satisfied? How about Dan Wilkinson, Kimo von Oelhoffen, Jason Fisk, or Gerard Warren? All are potential cap cuts and all have experience playing the nose position. Now before you sound off on me about how Warren is a turd, I will say that he has never played beside a linemate that resembles Rod Coleman in Cleveland, although I think Orpheus Roye is solid, but he's no Coleman. Warren, if in a steady rotation at NT with Lavalais could be a very productive player.

I didn't watch any 'Niner games this season (including ours... wasn't televised here :?) so I don't know if Young is still a player I'd like to have. I wouldn't want him signed unless he played for a near vet minimum contract with a fairly low bonus. We can give him all the incentives we want to, though, and I wouldn't mind. I just want to make sure the guy isn't going to make three times what he's earning.

Wilkinson would be okay, depending on the contract.I really don't have an opinion on Fisk. I like Kimo, but if we're going to try for a Pitt defensive lineman, let's make a deal for Casey Hampton :wink: :lol:

Warren is just like Hovan IMO. He's a dramatic underachiever that we don't need here in ATL. I feel someone will want to take a chance on him and give him a decent contract, and there's no way I'd want us in competition for that. If we're going to do that, we may as well free up some more cap space and make a run at Shaun Rogers. At least he shows up to earn his paycheck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:17 pm 

I like Wilkinson, but he's more a run stopper than pass rusher, and realisitcally at about 350 pounds is too big for what Mora/Donatell want at the position. Kimo's play has dropped off the past few years IMO, and he was basically a non-factor for the Steelers this year. He helped stopped the run, but his quickness is dying quickly. Fisk is another player that I think is very similar in style to Travis Hall. He was miscast as the backup NT for the Chargers this year under Wade Phillips (boy does that sound familiar), and at his salary, I doubt he will be let go. Warren is an underachiever, but assuming he could be had at a decent price, he's still a pretty decent player. Sure, he's never lived up to his status as the #3 overall pick, but I'd say he plays like a 4th/5th rounder in Cleveland.

Yes, the biggest obstacle I think in acquiring any of these vets is the financial matter. Young and Carter I'd be willing to pay more than $1M/yr. because I think they can live up to those contracts. I'm not talking about a 5-yr./$10 million deal, but something like maybe 2-yrs. for $2-3 million with a bonus around $1 million. Not a small amount of cash, but I think both can be very effective for the short-term, and for their potential production on our defense, its a bit of a coup, because I think both can be as good if not better than Rod Coleman was for us last year.

The other guys I'd be less willing to give that kind of coin for, rather I'd be more willing to give a 1-yr. veteran minimum deal, but that's doubtful that it would happen since almost all of those guys could get more money and probably more PT elsewhere in the league if they hit the open market.

In all honestly however, I think Fisk will be cut. Carter will be too. Depending on what kind of defense Nolan employs in San Fran will determine if Young is axed. With a 3-4, he will probably be released. Von Oelhoffen should be cut in Pittsburgh, but the Steelers (AKA Cowher) seem to be overly loyal to their veterans, and may just settle for restructuring his deal. Warren I suspect will have a role under Crennel if the Browns move to the 3-4 as well. He could be a good fit as a dual DE/NT if they can find the right bodies to rotate him with.

Profile E-mail