It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:50 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Indy vs Patriots can the falcon's play with the Colts?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:03 pm 

I am going to be interested watching this game tonight to see how good the indy offense still is and how there defense has evolved.The Patriots we know have alot of injuries and are not the same team but can Billicheck find a way to get his team the win? Another reason watching the game the Colts could make it to the Super Bowl this year and I wonder if the Falcon's have the personel to play with them and beat them.

I might be wrong but I think it is the colt's time to take the next step which is what the falcon's need to do.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:06 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Yes they can. Their D is fast, but Dunn & Duckett could run big on them. Also, their secondary is suspect so the passing game could get going. The problem, of course, would be containing their D. We could put up 30+ against their D, but I think we would need to keep them under 25 to actually win. If we have to score 30+ then we're probably done for.

Post subject: Indy only giving up 11 points a game!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:22 pm 

This isn't the indy defense of the past.I am not sure we could contain freeney, and the colts offense may be able to shred the falcon defense.They have manning and james and our def line may not be able to get pressure on Manning since he throws it quickly.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:37 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

We would run right at Freeney for most of the game. That will slow anyone down, especially a severely undersized DE. Crump & Schaeffer would manhandle him. Of course that leaves June, Doss, or Sanders open to make the play, but the physicality of a team like Atlanta cannot be underestimated...especially against undersized defenses. Freeney is a great player, but he is a far cry from the Richard Seymour/Michael Strahans of the league. Saying Freeney is an elite DE is comparable to saying Vick is as good a passer as Manning. He is not completely one dimensional but he is not the force against the run that people want to think he is.

I already went on & on about how dangerous their O is, but their D is definitely not a top 5 D. All in all the teams are somewhat similar, but I think the presense we have of Coleman & co. rushing up the middle could make a huge difference.

Post subject: The score 21-7 halftime colts
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:34 am 

So far New England has scored only 7 points against a colts defense that some think is questionable.The Falcon's gave up over 30 against the patriots.Manning can carve a defense apart.Did you see the colts drive the field with less than 2 minutes.That is the kind of pressure the falcon's need to learn.Unless Vick develops his passing game to be consistent the falcon's will never be able to drive the field with less than 2 minutes.That score whether its a field goal or 7 points could be the difference in the game.

I don't think the Falcon defense could hold the Colts below 35 points.The Falcon's offense if it can develop a consistent pass game could be very dangerous and score low 30 against the colts.The 35 points is the low end for the colts they can potnentially blow any team out.Remember if you don't get pressure on manning he will pick you apart and the way he reads defenses,the quick release I just don't see the falcon's defense finding a way to stop him.The Falcon's will need upgrades at safety and maybe corner to slow a powerful colts offense down.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:12 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

The Colts D is not that good. I know people want to think it is, but I saw the Rams game where the Rams marched up & down the field on them with Jackson, Bruce, & Bulger. Unfortunately Bulger got hurt & the dismantling could not continue, but as you see right now the Pats have put up 14 & are starting to drive. I have seen this enough times to know the Colts arent getting out without giving up 24+ tonight.

Wow, the refs didn't call that defensive holding on the 4th down play. The Colts are getting some ref love against the Pats? Now I have seen it all, you can take me lord! :P

Post subject: The way to beat the colts
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:25 am 

As far as I can tell there is only one way to beat the colts and that is keep manning off the field as long as possible.The Colts defense can be scored on but in order to keep the ball the falcon's will need to play there best game running the ball and passing.It would be nice if we could run over the colts like the falcon's do against many teams but it also leaves the possibility of alot of 3 and outs and manning would make the falcon defense pay.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:01 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

You guys are kidding. Think back to the 2003 game in which the Colts slapped us around. Yes, I realize that this is a different team than that team was, but offensively, we haven't changed a whole lot from that team, except changes at LG and WR.

Freeney and Robert Mathis made Shaffer and Weiner their bitches that game, and I don't see a whole lot that is to say they wouldn't do it again.

Fact is, I'm not super high on the Colts defense either. BUt the Rams had Orlando Pace, not Kevin Shaffer. I've commended Shaffer for having a career year this year, but he's not ready for Freeney. I can't wait to see what he does against Simeon Rice and Mike Rucker, two very good players, but not in Freeney's class.

The Colts D is perfectly constructed to stopping this offense. They are fast and aggressive up front, and Freeney, Mathis, and Raheem Brock would be in Vick's face all day.

If we played the Colts today, we would get destroyed. Our pass defense is nowhere close to touching the Colts pass offense. We can barely stop the run, so Edgerrin James would run all over us, just like almost all the RBs we've faced this year have.

Maybe in a few weeks if we can fix some of these problems we might be able to play with the Colts. But you guys are absolutely kidding yourself if you think the Falcons could come with 2 touchdowns of the Colts right now.

What we saw this past summer was nowhere close to the same Colts team that is playing right now.

The Colts will lose once they get outmuscled by an opponent. Right now, the Steelers and Bengals are the best chances for doing that.

Our problem is that our entire team is built around speed. Sure, we have some physical players on this team, but we're not a physical, "We're gonna punish you" team like the Steelers are. We'd try to get into a speed race with the Colts, and it's a race this team is not quite ready to win.

Basically, if the line said that the Falcons vs. Colts and the Falcons were getting 15 points, I'd still take the Colts. The Falcons of November are not ready for the Colts of November. The Falcons of January might be a different story...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: That is what we need to be!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:35 am 

When i was talking about the falcon's i was thinking in terms of the Super Bowl not playing them now.I remember that game in 2003 it was brutal being a falcon fan.If the falcon offense brought there A game(pass and run ) then I really think we could score low 30's on the colts.Remember this was before the mora era(I think it was) where the falcon's had wade phillips and reeve's.The Falcon's are better in the 4-3 and have more speed but i don't think it could slow manning down.I think the Colts score at least 40 points aganst the falcon defense even if it was in january.I think we may be able to fix some things but the pass rush still won't get to manning.

The best defense is an offense and we would have to run towards freeney in hopes of tiring him out.Also remember that we have Gibbs and his run techniques so it isn't the same falcon running game as it was in 2003.Still,if Vick can
t throw the ball and the running game play at there best I feel confident the falcon's would lose by at least 21 points.I hate to say it but even if we make it out of the NFC and the colts make it to the super bowl it would be another step towards winning a super bowl but still would come up short.I would take the loss but the falcon's d needs alot of work to be a Super Bowl champion.

Now if we face the Steelers,San Diego,Patriots it may be a different story but the colts in my opinion are the juggernaut of the league.Lets hope someone beats them in the playoffs if our falcon's make it to the promised land.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:28 am 

The key would be to establish the running game early, and to keep the Colts offense contained so that they couldn't get out to an early lead.

That's what hurt hte Broncos the past few times they've gotten blown out by the Colts in the playoffs. Despite having some rushing success early on, the Colts got off to a quick lead, and the Broncos had to play catchup the rest of the game, something that Jake Plummer is not good at doing any longer (unlike what he did in Arizona earlier in his career).

Vick has played well this year when playing from behind (he has an 80.9 passer rating when the Falcons trail this year). But that hasn't always been the case, so I don't know if Vick is capable of bringing this team back from a 2-TD deficit like Schaub was able to do vs. New England.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:49 pm 

I read part of this thread but I'm sorry the Colts are the best team in the NFL period. They have the best overall talent on both sides of the ball and an offense that precious few defenses can contain. The Colts would steam roll this Falcon squad and I think to say other wise is homerism.

The only advantage Atlanta has is that the Colts aren't lights out at stopping the run (11th in the league is still pretty damn good though). But Edge would probably light us up for 100+ rushing and a TD while Manning could easily drop 300+ yards and a few TD's on a ridiculously bad secondary.

Vick would live on the turf with a pretty good pass rush out of the Colts. No way we beat the Colts even in the dome.

Post subject: No dome team has ever won a super bowl
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:36 pm 

Does that mean if the colts :D and falcons meet in the super bowl it's a tie? :D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:55 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

People will be singing a different tune towards the end of the year about the Colts. They have an average D, which is much better than the terrible D they've had for years, that has yet to face anyone other than the Rams & Pats. The Rams rattled off 17 points in their first 3 possessions and the Pats put up 21 WITHOUT Corey Dillon or any RB's to speak of. Their O is still the best in the league of course & is what scares every team.

Post subject: The problem with the Colts
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:49 pm 

The problem with the Colts even if there defense gives up 30 points there offense is going to score 40 or more and I don't see a defense that can slow Indy down.I would rate it not quite as good as the Rams 1997? the year there offense was a juggernaut.Being physical with them may be the only way to slow them down and I do agree alot can change by the end of the year however only Pittsburgh or San Diego may be able to beat them in the playoffs.The Colts will have home field which means alot so it gives even more of an advantage to them.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:42 pm 

The Colts will likely lose one to two games during the regular season. Probably due to sitting their starters in the second half to keep them rested. With home field through the playoffs and likely a rested unit they will steam roll most teams.

I hate to say it but the AFC is obviously superior to the NFC and even the best NFC team could be rated behind about three AFC teams (Indy, Pitt, and Denver).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:01 pm 

How crazy would it be if the Colts meet the Giants in the Super Bowl? Eli Manning accomplishing in 2 years what took Peyton 8 years to do. Then if Eli beat Peyton out in the Super Bowl? That would be crazy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:41 am 

The Incomparable wrote:
People will be singing a different tune towards the end of the year about the Colts. They have an average D, which is much better than the terrible D they've had for years, that has yet to face anyone other than the Rams & Pats.

I'm sure the Colts will be exposed a few times during the course of the rest of the season. Some team (I suspect it will be Pittsburgh if Big Ben plays) will make them look back. The Steelers will pound them right down their throats, and the Steelers secondary, although not significantly talented, they manage to lock down top wideouts very well, and you'll see probably their front 7 have one of their better games. But I don't want to get into a game breakdown of Steelers-Colts just yet.

But as I said, the Colts will be exposed, but that is still doesn't turn a top defense into an average one. Do I think the Colts are in the same class as the Bucs, Ravens, Panthers, etc.? No, but they are still a tough defense.

Look at the Falcons defense, they have been exposed numerous times, but most of us still believe that our defense is pretty tough. It just hasn't been playing like it. Having 2 or 3 bad games for the Colts doesn't make them a average defense, just the same as having 4 or 5 bad games makes our defense bad.

But before the Falcons can expect to compete with the Colts, they need to show much greater consistency on both sides of the ball. We need to show that we are capable of scoring 30 or more points on a consistent basis. THat doesn't mean every game, but getting 30 here, 34 there, 27 there, etc. We also need to show that we are capable of shutting down quality offenses to 14 or less points consistently as well, and show some ability to lock down quality receivers especially when teams spread out our D to put our 3rd corner out there.

I mean, whether you're looking at it now or potentially in January, you can't be too excited about the matchup of Allen Rossum/Christian Morton against Brandon Stokley.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:02 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Good post man, that's almost exactly what I have been saying. I know the Falcons can play with anyone in the league because Vick has shown time & again the ability to "turn it on" in big games in a MJ like manner. Of course he needs the players around him, just like Jordan did, but I don't really fear any team if Vick is healthy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:40 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

The_Incomparable wrote:
Good post man, that's almost exactly what I have been saying. I know the Falcons can play with anyone in the league because Vick has shown time & again the ability to "turn it on" in big games in a MJ like manner. Of course he needs the players around him, just like Jordan did, but I don't really fear any team if Vick is healthy.

Agree. But how can we get Vick to "turn it on" all the time?

Post subject: Vick needs to get to that point
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:20 pm 

Vick needs to get to that point all the time where he brings his A game.Consistency vs inconsistency is the big question with Vick.If we did play the colts in the super bowl 2 or 3 3 and outs the Falcons could be down 21-0.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Vick needs to get to that point
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:11 pm 

thescout wrote:
Vick needs to get to that point all the time where he brings his A game.Consistency vs inconsistency is the big question with Vick.If we did play the colts in the super bowl 2 or 3 3 and outs the Falcons could be down 21-0.

I think that is the question that will plague Vick for most of his career. By nature and his style Vick is not a consistent threat at quarterback. But we've been through this argument before.

As far as Indy vs. Atlanta the final score would probably be something a long the lines of the Indy/N.E. score of 40 to 21 or so. The Falcons vs. Colts in the Super Bowl screams of the Denver Super Bowl. The Falcons are good but the Colts do almost everything we do better (except rush but even then they aren't that far behind us).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:16 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

the worst parts of the season has been when the team has let down not because of a lack of talent or skills. don't you think the falcons would be completely pumped up for a superbowl game against the colts? especially vick, he generally comes thru in big games, no? when the falcons are motivated like that, they can compete with any team in the league. i'm not saying the falcons would be favorites, but all this talk of getting blown out is like chicken little freaking out. what your talking about is worst case scenario. when's the last time they got blown out? kansas city, who else? forget stats. i've mentioned this and i'll do it again, the falcs usually play up to superior foes and down to inferior ones. most games will be pretty close one way or the other, but one things for sure, they'd be competitive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:27 pm 

The results of our last meeting with the Colts with a healthy Vick:

Atlanta: 7
Indy: 38

Now this was Vick's second game back from injury (after posting 174 passing yards and 141 rushing yards in his first game back against Carolina) and we were without Warrick Dunn. But the Colts slapped the Falcons around like they were nothing. Arguments could be made about how we were a lameduck team at the time (Reeves had been fired). But the simple point is that Indy kicked our ass. We are a better team today but so is Indy. All things being equal I think we get our asses handed to us again.