i starting to count down the days till august 6

man will it be a great off season maybe to long but how much fun will

it be

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:23 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

I've noticed that too. I've often referred to those fans as "reactionaries." It's not really a derogatory name it's just a matter of reality. A lot of fans, especially those of teams with poor histories, tend to react to losses in a harsh manner and don't fully recognize what goes on behind the scenes....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:33 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Cap, I think I used to be like that: "reactionary" as you put it. But I think over the years, I've matured and become a bit more patient with the Falcons.

Watching the Falcons win/lose makes my mood fluctuate so much, that I think I'm actually benefitting (in terms of stress) by not watching all the Falcons games in a season.

I liken myself now more to the patient parent that watches his son/daughter strike out a bunch in youth baseball/softball, but knows that eventually a hit will come, and if I'm patient enough a homerun.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:50 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

but keepin in focus what should be and what will be

Here's where I probably disagree with you guys or some of you. Of course I loved the season this year; it was wonderful!! With that said; some seem to say because we achieved this in 2004 then 2005 must surely be better. We can see history just doesn't promise us anything!! In 2002 we all thought 2003 would be better?? I can go back to 1980 and hear with Bart AND Andrews and our great defense we were a lock for years to come.Next year we are still attempting for two winning seasons in a row.

Andrews got hurt; Bart got his knee reinjured; Claude Humphry went to Philly as did Joel Williamson leave ect,ect,. I hope we do as well next year or better; but its hard to skip the injury bug two years in a row. We really skipped it this year as compared to other teams.

So my reactionary point is when you get so close; you really need to find a way to win now!! Even when your not the better team on paper; some teams do make that happen.
I do believe this year the AFC was so above the NFC and it will show in the superbowl so it not quite as important;but thats at least a reactionary's point of view. I am hoping now with stable ownership will come stable play; bit injuries is always the wildcard!!

As long as their's sports their will be fans calling for someone's head. I mean if baseball fans didn't talk about Bobby Cox then what would they talk about till April??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:59 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Cox is a good analogy. How many hitting instructors has he been forced to fire against his will? Once they got to and lost a couple of World Series people started thinking it had to eb a problem with the staff that their bats silnced in the big game. Baylor, Clarence Jones, etc. all got axed and Cox never was happy about it. More importantly, it did not help matters.

It was interesitng reading the aJC today. In the letters section there were more than the usuual giving Vick greif about his passing. Lots of "Same old Falcons" quotes. Think about that for a minute. when did the "same old Falcons" even play in any significant games? Just as Glavine, Maddux, etc., came to be labeled as chokers becasue they did not win on the biggest stage fans will turn on the horse they rode to the Championship game for the falcs. Vick has been given remarkable carte blanche in ATL and a long, long honeymoon but as the fans begin to expect more they will be less forgiving o fhim. It will be interesting t see how he responds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:28 pm 

I agree Cyril that our success this past year, really doesn't amount to much in 2005. But I can look on the bright side and see that the organization is headed in the right direction, just as it seemingly looked in 1997 after a solid 2nd half of a season under Reeves. Of course big things happened the following year in '98, and then it all fell apart after that.

But I think where Mora will succeed where Reeves failed is that Mora has a good GM calling the shots in the organization. Reeves had no accountability, because he was his own boss and his real boss, Taylor Smith, had a very hands-off approach to the club. Mora doesn't have that with McKay and Blank.

I don't think the Falcons will find ultimate success until Vick develops a bit more, and I think that's still a ways off.

The past few Super Bowl winners have all been teams that were dominant on one side of the football. Since '00, it's been defenses: Baltimore, New England, and Tampa Bay, and prior to that it was offenses: Denver & St. Louis. We're not there yet to say that we are a dominant offense/defense that can score on anybody/shutdown anybody.

Profile E-mail