It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:26 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Joey Harrington anyone?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:12 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Let's say in the off-season some team offers up something substantial for Matt Schaub and we trade him. Let's also say that the Lions formally put Joey Harrington on the trade market.

Would you go after Harrington if you were the Falcons to be Vick's backup. I think it's an ideal marriage. Now, I wouldn't necessarily trade for Harrington because I wouldn't want to assume his lofty contract, but if the Lions were to cut Harrington, I would definitely see him as a good replacement for Schaub as the #2 guy here.

In Detroit, he runs a similar offense. He's a smart guy (although his on-field play usually isn't), that I think needs a change of scenery before he starts to do some of the things envisioned for him when he came into the league.

There is no doubt that Harrington, unless he makes a dramatic reversal down the stretch has proven to be a bust as a 1st round pick. But that doesn't mean he no longer can contribute as top backup.

I see the Lions dumping Harrington due to his contract. What I've been able to find out is that there is 2 years left on his deal, and about $5.1 million remaining of the $13.5 million signing bonus he signed back in 2002. For that reason, I don't want to trade for him since we would then have the most expensive pair of QBs in the league. But assuming Harrington is not due another massive roster bonus like he was this past summer ($3 million), the Lions could save up to $1.9 million by cutting him after the season (so basically a roster bonus of $2 million or more would be the only thing preventing them from cutting him).

Of course, that is likely to be contingent on how the Lions address their QB situation. Garcia is a free agent, and will either earn or not earn a long-term contract based on his play the remainder of this year. If he struggles, then expect the Lions to make a play at probably one of the young QBs that will be on the trade market after the season. Philip Rivers, Schaub, and David Garrard stand out. Jon Kitna, Kurt Warner, and potentially David Carr will all be free agents. So the Lions have options, and it's highly doubtful Harrington will be one of them.

So again, I pose the question, if Harrington became available, do you think the Falcons should sign him assuming they could get him cheap (market price for a #2 QB is about $1 million/yr.)?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:59 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Pudge wrote:
So again, I pose the question, if Harrington became available, do you think the Falcons should sign him assuming they could get him cheap (market price for a #2 QB is about $1 million/yr.)?

Say no to Harrington. He hasn't done a thing in his career to prove he can handle even number two duties. With Vick as injury prone as he is, we need a really good #2. Guess what? We have one in Schaub. Pay him the money to keep him here holding the clip board because more likely than not, he will see some action.

Last edited by AngryJohnny51 on Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:44 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

i think it's known around the league that he's a pansy. he just plays scared. have u ever seen him in a close game? his face turns beet red. if detroit players won't play for him i doubt the falcs will either(johnson and kitner anyone?). schaub is just establishing himself. until we have another definite back up ready, show schaub the money and keep him. as was said in this thread its highly likely the 2 qb will get some playing time, he better be solid as a rock.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:27 pm 

No and I say this because it would be the Schuab scenario. Harrington is going to want another shot to start somewhere else and that won't be in Atlanta. Much like Schuab probably won't return after his rookie contract because he's going to want a shot to start.

Although I'm wondering if the problem really is Harrington in Detroit. His offensive line is horrible and even though he has 3 first round receivers none have proven to be any consistent threat. That and I don't think the receivers were ever giving him 100%. Plus the numerous injuries between them.

I think that Harrington could be good in an offense that is more run oriented and only requires him to pass 25 to 30 times a game and not go deep consistently. I always thought of Harrington as a mobile Hasselbeck. I just think he got a raw deal in Detroit especially considering when he was drafted everyone expected him to be Peyton Manning when he really isn't.

Garcia has sucked in Harringtons stead. I don't think it's the QB as much as the system, offensive line, and receivers giving up (you basically have 3 Randy Moss personalities in Detroit).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:57 pm 

I agree dirty. Detroit probably needs a QB that is going to be field general and really take the reins of that team and offense, something that Harrington and Garcia aren't exactly known for. Who that player is I'm not so sure.

I really think a change in scenery will do wonders for Harrington. I liken his situation to that of Kerry Collins or Trent Dilfer. Dilfer experienced his turnaround in Baltimore during his 7th NFL season, after getting benched midway through the previous year in favor of Shaun King. Prior to that he was a marginal NFL starter, but has since turned into a capable one. He was the 6th overall pick. Collins went to New York during his 5th year and showed that he was a significantly improved QB mentally and physically after being the 5th overall pick and struggling through years in Carolina and New Orleans.

Now, I'm not saying we should dump Schaub for Harrington, but if a team makes a good offer for Schaub, I think the Falcons would be foolish not to take it. If the Falcons declined a decent offer, citing Schaub was too valuable as a backup, there is a good possibility that Schaub would grow disgruntled and feel like the Falcons were deliberately hurting his career prospects (and in this case they would be). And a disgruntled backup is not something you want on your team.

Both Dilfer and Collins turned around their careers after they moved on to new cities as backups. I think Harrington can do exactly the same.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: I said
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:37 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I posted in another post about Harrington this week. The guy wasn't even running his own offense at the end. The Center was calling the plays from the huddle and going over last minute assignments at the line. ALL Harrington had to do was throw a ball and he couldn't even do that. Like David Carr, the guy has internal clock issues. His 3 second drop is about 5.5 and he collapses with the pocket. This guy is horrible no matter what town he is in. I wouldn't go near him with a 10 foot pole.

MF1

J. Mora JR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:27 pm 

The receivers gave up on Harrington long before the offense was taken out of Joey's hands. Most of this season he was playing on a team that didn't want him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:33 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

I really like this thread! Harrington in my mind could very well be a great option for Schaub's replacement. If we do in fact get a good offer for him, I think we should probably take it. However, here's how I think it will really go down:

1) Schaub will not be traded in hopes of having one more solid season behind Vick. I have a feeling that the FO believes 2006 is our best chance for winning the SB, and we will need him here if we are to have a good chance of doing that.

2) McKay will look for a new backup QB this next draft to replace Schaub after his rookie contract is up (should they not be able to resign him). This will allow the new backup to have a full year in development before he is asked to backup Vick.

3) At the end of the 06-07 season, McKay will take stock and see if Schaub can be resigned or effectively replaced. I seriously doubt Schaub will have down-graded his status in the eyes of the league, so I expect the 2nd year QB drafted the year before to set up.

The only thing that would change this scenario in my mind is if McKay gets an offer he simply cannot refuse. It will probably mean signing someone like Harrington (hopefully) for a year and going ahead and drafting someone to groom as the next backup. I wouldn't mind seeing this happen because it could mean seriously upgrading our talent. But I feel that either scenario is possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:39 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Poor Joey never stood a chance this season...he would not have even started the season if Garica had not of gotten hurt....I think Harrington is a better QB than he's shown and if we got a deal we couldn't refuse this off season for Shaub then I feel somewhat comfortable with Harrington as a back-up. Our offense would be a good offense for him. We run the ball first and pass when we have to. There would not be a lot of pressure on him to do great and I think that'd help too. He wouldn't exactly be my first choice as a back up (I'd rather get Gracia for a year or two) but I wouldn't be uneasy with him as a back-up...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:44 pm 

Atlanta would be an ideal fit for Joey. Another team he would probably put good numbers up on is either Tampa or Carolina. Neither offense is pass wacky and they both have good o-lines and a good rushers. Although Carolina's offense is more vertical.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:31 pm 
Role Player
Role Player

AngryJohnny51 wrote:
Say no to Harrington. He hasn't done a thing in his career to prove he can handle even number two duties. With Vick as injury prone as he is, we need a really good #2.

Smart man. Even with all that talent around him Harrington plays like "#2". He's so bad that Mooch couldn't wait for Garcia to be able to play.

Phinfever Blog

Post subject: Marcus Vick could be an option!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:51 am 

This may be to much of a surprise but it is possible marcus vick could be had in the 4th round and if the falcon's trade Schaub would be an ideal pick for the falcon's as a 4th rounder.He is inexperienced but stil is better than michael at throwing the ball and isn't to bad at running with it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Marcus Vick could be an option!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:57 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

thescout wrote:
This may be to much of a surprise but it is possible marcus vick could be had in the 4th round and if the falcon's trade Schaub would be an ideal pick for the falcon's as a 4th rounder.He is inexperienced but stil is better than michael at throwing the ball and isn't to bad at running with it.

Not really.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:58 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Marcus will be long gone by the 4th round if for no other reason than his last name...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:53 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

I have had my eye on Brett Basanez of NW. He has had a great season passing and pretty good running. I'm not sure how highly regarded he is among recruiters, but he has done a good job making an average team a lot more potent. I like Marcus Vick and think it would be fun to have him along side his bother, but I don't know if that's necessarily the best idea.

Oh, and we got Schaub in the 3rd, not the 4th round. I doubt Vick will last that long either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:02 pm 

If we drafted Marcus Vick he'd pull a Manning. Do you really thing he wants to sit behind his brother?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:03 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I helped coach a high school team once upon a time....we had two qb's that were both quick and both could throw pretty well....we couldn't decide between the two so we played a two qb system...not the typical 2 qb system though...we kept them both on the field at the same time...sometimes one would line up as a rb, sometimes we'd split one out as a wr, other times we'd have them line up next to each other in the shotgun...it opened up all sorts of carzy options in our offense....now if the coaches could only devise something similar for the Falcons and draft Marcus...I know that it would never happen like that, but it'd be fun to watch....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:06 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

re: Harrington

No. Not even as a #2, maybe as a #3.

re: Marcus

Please :roll: