It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:37 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Philly exposed?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:31 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

we may not have to face them in the playoffs. Reid has some absurd infautation with passing the ball. if they earn a wildcard berth (which is more likely than not) we may not even have to be bothered with the dreaded Iggles. especially if owned and westbrook go off the deep end this week. i see it likely that one will.

Post subject: I agree Philly doesn't hav a running game!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:34 am 

At this point there are to many other teams to compete for the wildcard and if philly doesn't change there approach won't make the playoffs.I can't believe philly management made that mistake that passing the ball 70% of time will win in the NFL ,it won't.Balance is key and philly doesn't have it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:01 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

The odd thing is about how successful Philly has been throwing the ball in this pseudo-conversion to a run n' shoot like offense.

The Eagles threw a ton last year (I think they ranked 4th in the league in percentage), but that was around 59%, but now its at about 79%. So they'll have to get that down if they expect to go far in the playoffs.

But then again, with the way our secondary has played pretty much all season long, the Eagles could throw the ball on every play and still have a very good chance of beating us.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:54 am 
Superstar
Superstar

GSU wrote:
we may not have to face them in the playoffs

Well, we have to make the playoffs first. I'm less worried about the Eagles whoa's than our own.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:43 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

AngryJohnny51 wrote:
GSU wrote:

Well, we have to make the playoffs first. I'm less worried about the Eagles whoa's than our own.

*the room gets cold*

i'll come out right now and say we would make the playoffs this season even if Vick went down. the pieces are in place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:21 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

GSUTeke wrote:
AngryJohnny51 wrote:
GSU wrote:

*the room gets cold*

i'll come out right now and say we would make the playoffs this season even if Vick went down. the pieces are in place.

I like your confidence GSU. I wasn't predicting we wouldn't make the playoffs. The Falcons for the first time in a long time control their own destiny. They shouldn't be concerned with what Philly, Carolina or any one else does. Win and they're in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:22 pm 

First Philly has to make the playoffs. They are third place in a very competitive division and I don't see Dallas or New York giving up their spots very easily. That and Philly's schedule is brutal:

Dallas (They got hammered in big D), New York and Washington twice, Seattle, and a re-emerging St. Louis. If Philly goes 4-3 through that stretch they should consider themselves lucky.

Philly has fallen from grace with their pass wackly ways and a banged up McNabb. I don't think Philly makes the playoffs. I see NY winning the divisino and Dallas getting the Wild Card.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:27 pm 

Despite our being #1 in the division, we don't have as firm a hold on the division or in the conference as you may think. A few upset losses by this team and we could be out of the playoff chase. As it stands right now, if the playoffs started tomorrow, we would be the 3rd seed, with Carolina and Tampa Bay being the #5 and #6 seeds (meaning we would open vs. Tampa Bay). But Dallas is within a half game of the last wildcard spot, with Philly and Washington within 1 game, and the Rams 1.5 games. So really those teams are within a game or so of booting us out of the playoffs.

Basically, the Falcons need to win the vast majority of their remaining games if they want to ensure their playoff status, and much of that depends on how they play against division opponents. Thus far, in our lone division game, we came out very flat on both sides of the ball. That has to change. This is arguably the strongest division in football with 3 teams not only vying for division control but Super Bowl prospects.

I believe we will go to the playoffs, as we will go at least 6-3 over these final 9 games. But in this division, going 10-6 might mean you don't make the playoffs, especially when you consider how good the NFC East is also playing (which would be the other division considered to be the best in football).

I realize that this looks like an easier 2nd half if you discount Carolina and Tampa Bay, with opponents having a combined record of 13-23 (the Bucs and Panthers added to the equation make it 33-31). But if the Falcons overlook any of these teams, they are going to get upset, because we aren't as consistent a team as I and hopefully many others want. Right now, we're winning by our running game and being able to force turnovers on defense. Well guess what, 6 of our remaining 9 games come against Top 10 rushing defenses. Then we have the 13th and 17th ranked rushing defenses to play against (Detroit and Miami). So this "cupcake" schedule plays against our offensive strength. So we'll need to grow offensively if we want to win these games.

As for our success if Vick went down. I'm not as optimistic as you. Schaub has yet to win an NFL game (0-3 as a starter), and despite performing well vs. the Patriots, he hasn't proven himself yet. And probably in his future starts, defenses and coaches won't be as caught off guard like the Pats were.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:35 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

if philly doesn't make it to the playoffs, i wonder if any team will allow one of their players to be on the cover of madden nfl. i know i sure wouldn't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:40 pm 

What I love is that McNabb has about 3 major injuries so Philly goes to him and says "We are going to pass just about every down. Enjoy!"

After this season McNabb will become the new McNair.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:10 pm 

You're right, this season may have shaved 5 years off McNabb's career, just like all those mounting injuries did for McNair.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Dirty
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:41 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I know you like the numbers Dirty so I would point out that McNabb only completed 12 passes on Sunday which is only one more than Vick in the Jets game :twisted:

MF1

J. Mora JR.

Post subject: Re: Dirty
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:30 pm 

MarylandFalcon1 wrote:
I know you like the numbers Dirty so I would point out that McNabb only completed 12 passes on Sunday which is only one more than Vick in the Jets game :twisted:

MF1

Someone is looking for trouble aren't they? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:32 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

honestly I havn't been impressed with the iggles all year....can't blame them for passing as much as they do though because I don't think Westbrook could handle 25 carries a game...at least not for more than a few games...nothing in this world would make me happier than to see the smug sh-- eating grins wiped off the faces of all the Philly fans when/if the Iggles miss the playoffs...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:41 pm 

Philly's offensive line must suck at run blocking. Westbrook & Dunn are about the same in the running game IMO. Dunn has more ability to duck, dive, and juke around players but he's still a solid scat back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:46 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I have never seen Westbrook carry the run game by himself though...that's what brought about my comment...I think Dunn and Westbrook are very similar, but Dunn seems a lot more hard nosed and though to me...could be that I am biased, I am willing to admit that...We will see what Westbrook has got next year though because he won't be in Philly and whoever give him all the money he'll be after will surley make him earn it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:49 pm 

Westbrook screams of the Famous Amos situation when he was signed for mad money but turned out to be a product of the system.

Someone will break the bank for Westbrook and he'll probably be mediocre.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:12 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Pudge wrote:
You're right, this season may have shaved 5 years off McNabb's career, just like all those mounting injuries did for McNair.

.... and Vick will be any different? He's gotta stop taking the big shots.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:50 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I don't think Westbrook would do all that well if he got 25 carries a game...we won't find out for sure this year though, that's a fact...Philly won't ever run the ball that much, regardless of how stupid it is to be so one sided....

we will have to wait until next year when Westbrook is in a differant uniform...