It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:21 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: D. Hall = Hands
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:43 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I know we all talk about drops and such but I have to say that D. Hall can catch. The boy has some sticky fingers for a CB and with 4 INTs I am wondering if we will ever see him in action again on Offense. R. White/D. Hall with Finn in the slot :shock: Who would like to see that? The kid is young enough that he could take some offensive snaps and still be fresh for defense. If Deion could do it in what his 6th year why not Hall in his second? When I was a training camp I saw Hall take several snaps with the Offense each day so I know it has been considered. D. White was inactive for the Monday Night game and with Jenks ankle hurt and Pathon no real answer wouldn't you try a little VT to VT love? :wink:

MF1

J. Mora JR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:29 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I was thinking the same thing. Hall seems like he has better hands than everyone, save Crump & Roddy. Crump's hands kind of failed us a couple times Monday Night too, but I'm not worried about him fixing the problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:17 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

we pay D Hall to play D and he is the only good corner we have...I am a little reluctant to put him on the field in any other place besides cb...I wouldn't want to risk wearing down or even hurting our best cover man....

plus we need to let our wr's play anyway...that's the only way they are going to get any better....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:20 pm 

Kinda sad when a DB has the best hands on the team. Although I still don't think anyone has better hands then Crumps even if he's slipped a bit (used to catch everything he got a finger on).

I'm with Steve though. If we lose DeLo due to overplaying him then we can saw goodbye to the playoffs because even the Ravens could pass on us then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:30 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I think it might be worth it to have Hall get 1 or 2 plays. But at this point, they'd probably have to be limited to a reverse or an all-around streak down the sideline. It'll be hard for Vick to overthrow a guy with Hall's speed.

They'd be like the "trick plays" we used with Tim Dwight way back in 1998, where he sometimes lined up at QB.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:53 pm 

Something the Falcons should completely look at doing is splitting Vick out as a receiver or as a back in the wishbone and have Schuab take the snap. Can you imagine how freaked the defense would be?

Of course Vick may not like that idea too much either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:04 pm 

I'd be very disappointed in Vick if he complained about such a situation dirty.

It's been creeping into my mind since Monday night, but is it just a coincidence that Vick has struggled mightily ever since Schaub "showed" him up?

Is jealousy and envy affecting Vick's play? It's nearly impossible to fathom, but gee, if Vick doesn't start to improve, we may be forced to start Schaub a game, tell the O-line not to block, just so Schaub can look bad so that the good version of Vick returns. :!:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:12 pm 

Start Schuab against Tampa and then Vick can comeback and look like a God after what will likely be an abyssmal performance against the leagues best defense.

I made a post I think in the PFT thread about how I do think Mora needs to bench Vick for a game. Vick needs to know that he can lose his job and living off flash and hype alone isn't enough. Everyone keeps saying the Vick lives in the film room and works very hard to improve his passing but I never see ANY improvement.

Of course on occasion Vick also makes the odd comment indicating that he doens't believe his passing game is that bad and people need to get off it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:19 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

dirtybirdnw wrote:

Of course on occasion Vick also makes the odd comment indicating that he doens't believe his passing game is that bad and people need to get off it.

I happen to agree with him. If you step back & look at the Jets game analytically, he threw 73% of his passes on target. Now if the receivers drop balls, don't fight for balls over the middle, and the like; then of course our passing game is going to be terrible. Right now we have the softest receiving core in the league and they alszo have some of the worst hands. Sure Vick doesn't hit the bullseye everytime but I see COLLEGE receivers who don't even make it into the NFL making tough catches every weekend, and Vick isn't really of the bullseye enough for most of those catches we're not making to be considered tough.

Add to that the snowball effect of dropped passes. We saw it in San Antonio with Dez White where after the 2nd drop Vick started becoming erratic. I will say Vick's a bust as a QB when I see him start missing his target over & over, but right now it's just not happening the way people think it is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:22 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

If Vick was on target with 73% of his throws then I missed some attempts...what I saw was an abundance of throws high or behind recievers...I saw a couple of catches that were really good catches on balls that were horribly thrown...now I am not trying to throw Vick under the bus because if we are going to do anything in the postseason it will be with him, but he's got to get this accuracy thing worked out...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:34 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

'Comp wrote:
he threw 73% of his passes on target.

Where are you getting that number from?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:50 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

OK, if a defender makes a play on the ball it is still on target, like the one he underthrew a little to Jenkins deep & Jenkins didn't bother trying to make a play on it. If it is behind a receiver it should be caught unless the receiver could not get his hands, both HANDS-not fingers, on the ball. If it is high it should be caught unless it is too high of course. A target has a bullseye (the numbers) and a few rings around it (shoulder pads, hips, handsz, etc). If the pass is on target it is the receiver's job to catch the ball. I watched the game play for play & counted this up myself. If anyone would like to debate one or two of them, fine, then it is still over %65 on target, which should easily equate to over %50 completions. The receivers aren't getting it done, period. Even Crump & Dunn are dropping passes now, which is really scary, and it isn't like Vick's arm strength should be surprising them anymore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:20 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Comp wrote:
Even Crump & Dunn are dropping passes now, which is really scary, and it isn't like Vick's arm strength should be surprising them anymore.

We can debate this until the cows come home. Vick doesn't throw a very catchable ball, period. What does it tell you when his best receivers are starting to muff them? He need more touch and more accuracy. It would be nice if a receiver could make a circus catch time and time again, but those guys don't come along very often. When throws are off target, the receiver is also more vulnerable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:25 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

They're not circus catches though. I have seen Rod Smith make catches for Elway all the time, same with Freeman/Driver/Walker/etc for Favre. I don't think it is too much to ask that if a guy gets his hands on the damned ball that he catches it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:25 am 
Superstar
Superstar

The_Incomparable wrote:
They're not circus catches though. I have seen Rod Smith make catches for Elway all the time, same with Freeman/Driver/Walker/etc for Favre. I don't think it is too much to ask that if a guy gets his hands on the damned ball that he catches it.

::puts noose around neck and gets ready to kick out the chair::

You win. :wink:

I'm not saying Rowdy and Jenkins are the second coming of Lynn Swann and Jerry Rice, but they're not as bad as you make them out to be. The best receivers today would have a hard time catching the passes I see Vick throw.