It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:44 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Schaub better than Vick? (From profootballtalk.com)
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:03 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Just thought I would share this article from profootballtalk.com with everyone. Go falcons!!!

SCHAUB BETTER THAN VICK?

As second-year quarterback Matt Schaub prepares for what could be his second straight start of the season, there are growing whispers in league circles that this understudy could end up being even better than the guy in front of him on the depth chart, starter Michael Vick.

"Upside" is the buzzword in matters of this nature, and the buzz is that Schaub has a huge one.

Sure, he ain't Ron Mexico. But who is? Not even little brother Marcus has the same degree of uncanny acceleration and speed.

Still, Schaub has enough mobility to be effective in the NFL, and his passing and decision-making arguably are already better than Vick's.

We know, we know. There's no way the Falcons replace The Franchise with some white dude who looks like Robert Barone. Vick is the face of the organization, and he's not going anywhere, barring serious injury (and/or disease). But someone, somewhere will make Schaub their starter in 2007 or sooner, and the current thinking is that he will become a Pro Bowl-level performer.

It really shouldn't be a surprise. Entering the 2003 collegiate season, Schaub was regarded as a serious candidate for the Heisman, and a likely first-rounder. A shoulder injury derailed his campaign -- and dropped his draft stock.

So the Falcons got a steal in round three, but they won't be able to keep both guys around for much longer. Especially if Schaub continues to play like he has the past couple of weeks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:28 pm 

Doug Johnson Hype = Matt Schuab Hype

Schuab is a better QB then DJ to be sure. But I want to see Schuab perform well against a defense that is ravaged by injuries such as Philly or Baltimore. If he can put up 300 yards and 3 TD's with no INT's against them then I am a believer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:11 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Sure, he ain't Ron Mexico"

Wow, just feeling the love for Vick there. While I would hate to trade Schaub only to see him turn into Brett Favre v2.0, there is no one the NFL or any other sport I would rather watch every week than Michael Vick. Honestly, I have Vick withdrawal in the offseason and Bye week reallu sucks. I love the NFL in general, but Vick is the most exciting player ever in any sport.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:09 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

If anybody truly believes Schaub has Pro Bowl potential, they are really missing the boat on that one. Schaub could become what many call an "efficient starter" and be considered a lesser version of Tom Brady (a la Marc Bulger), but he doesn't have Brady's arm, poise, accuracy, and leadership.

Are these the same people that thought A.J. Feeley was going to be a great QB? I'm not doubting the validity of PFT's sources, because the 1 or 2 that they may have talked to may have said that, but if teams really thought Schaub had that type of potential, more than 2 teams (Atlanta and St. Louis) would have been looking at him as a 3rd round pick.

We'll see though...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: I am glad
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:12 am 
Superstar
Superstar

I am just glad I can sit back and be happy with both our QBs. It is nice to know that if Vick doesn't play we can still compete on the Offensive side of the ball.

MF1

J. Mora JR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:53 pm 

Pudge wrote:
If anybody truly believes Schaub has Pro Bowl potential, they are really missing the boat on that one. Schaub could become what many call an "efficient starter" and be considered a lesser version of Tom Brady (a la Marc Bulger), but he doesn't have Brady's arm, poise, accuracy, and leadership.

AKA Trent Dilfer :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:50 pm 
Starter
Starter

I was in the Dome for the game against N.E. and Schaub was pretty impressive. He works well in the system and spreads the ball around a bit but he doesn't have the Vick factor-game breaking potential that we love (does anyone though??). Also, I am also not sold on Schaubby's deep ball. It is nice to have a quality backup for now though even if we eventually lose him to free agency.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:56 pm 

Hence forth Schuab will be known as Dilfholmme. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:19 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Pudge wrote:

Are these the same people that thought A.J. Feeley was going to be a great QB? I'm not doubting the validity of PFT's sources, because the 1 or 2 that they may have talked to may have said that, but if teams really thought Schaub had that type of potential, more than 2 teams (Atlanta and St. Louis) would have been looking at him as a 3rd round pick.

We'll see though...

But it's also a little early in his career to decide if he doesn't have the poise, accuracy, or leadership(He sure showed a fine role of a Leader in his comeback against the Pats)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:15 am 

Well IMO, a Pro Bowl quarterback, even a future one in only his 2nd year, would have found a way to lead his team to victory against the Patriots with the multiple opportunities he was given. But that's just my opinion.

I compare it to Vick's performance vs. the Steelers back in 2002. Vick pretty much single-handedly brought the Falcons back in that game. Of course, Vick did not end up winning that game either. But the difference to me is that Vick seemingly alone kept the team in that game. You could see him taking the rest of the team (only in his 2nd year mind you) on his shoulders and making plays, hitting receivers, etc. Schaub didn't seem to do that. Not saying that he did a poor job, but I didn't see the same "We're going to win this football game at any costs" type of play that I saw from Vick.

Profile E-mail