Jasper retiring

Discuss your favorite team: the Atlanta Falcons. As well as all NFL and pro football-related topics, including fantasy football.

Moderators: Capologist, dirtybirdnw, thescout

Pudge
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Jasper retiring

Postby Pudge » Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:24 pm

The AJC is reporting that Ed Jasper is leaning towards retirement.

This is a big loss for the Falcons, because Jasper is one of those leaders in the locker room. And I don't think anybody would consider Jasper to be an elite DT in the NFL, he's rock-solid, and I'd rank him as an above average starter. Jasper has battled injuries throughout his career since joining the Falcons as a low-level FA signing back in 1999. He's never really made it through a season healthy, and has numberous injuries all over his body that have slowed him.

It puts a pretty big hole at the DT position, with the futures of Jasper & Hall up in the air. Lavalais is still a bit green and I don't think he's ready to be a starter yet. With durability concerns about Coleman, this is a pretty glaring hole heading into the off-season.

Jasper was one of the pickups I credit with Ron Hill for finding. When we added him, he was suspected to be more of a camp body than anything, but eventually outplayed Bob Kuberski, the guy that was expected to be the #3 DT in '99, and earned a lot of playing time over the years.
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.

Capologist
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

Postby Capologist » Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:31 pm

I hate to hear it but I can completely understand his rationale. I think Lavalais would step in nicely. Add a draft pick or a free agent role player and we should be quite alright...

Return to “The Huddle”