It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:04 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NFL & Mexico
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 5:34 pm 

The NFL is doing a fantastic job whoring their first ever NFL game not played in the United States. That's great except that the NFL is an American game where 99.95% of all their fans reside.

I don't get why major sports leagues are so obssessed with getting their respective leagues internationally. People around the world would rather watch Soccer, Crickett, or Rugby instead of watching Football or Baseball. Let's stop the international crush and pay attention to who really matters your fans right here in America. I could care less about a game in Mexico and the fact that the NFL decided all the teams would a green sticker to honor this. Big deal!

If you want exposure do the developmental leagues. You have NFL Europe if he latin/hispanic crowd is so important create a developmental lead for Mexico, Central America, and the Carribbean.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:08 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

dirtybirdnw wrote:
If you want exposure do the developmental leagues. You have NFL Europe if he latin/hispanic crowd is so important create a developmental lead for Mexico, Central America, and the Carribbean.

Well, I'm sure a rep from the NFL would say that playing a game there will determine just how much success a developmental league could have. I know American football's popularity is growing in Japan and probably Germany (due to NFL Europe having 5 teams in that country). How fast it's growing is probably a small figure though.

If we're on the subject of international sports, though, one sport I've recently discovered is halfway entertaining is Aussie rules football. I don't share the common American's bored reluctance to watch soccer, although it's not one of those things that I find that interesting. I like watching Freddy Adu play because his speed on the field reminds me of watching Vick play football, and I'll watch the US somewhat in international competitions, but otherwise, I don't care too much. But back to Aussie rules football, it has the flavor of soccer, but the toughness of our football.

Watching some of those guys punt the ball, you begin to wonder why Darren Bennett and Ben Graham (current Jets punter) are the only guys that NFL teams have brought over. If you haven't seen Aussie rules yet, I believe Fox Sports Net has a highlights show that it runs on Friday afternoons. I like it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Three Words
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:14 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Three Words.... Mexico City Saints :P Oh, and Mexico City is ALSO built on a drained swamp!

MF1

J. Mora JR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:16 pm 
Role Player
Role Player

Quote:
I don't get why major sports leagues are so obssessed with getting their respective leagues internationally.

Well, there are X million people in Mexico. The NFL thinks that by marketing its product to those people, those people will then in turn spend money on said product. Thus the NFL will have more money when all is said and done. I'm sure they dream of a day when, hundreds of years in the future, the North American, European, Asian and African championship football teams will face off to determine football's true world champions.

I do agree, though, that those green stickers on the helmets were pointless, tacky and annoying.

Profile E-mail