It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:44 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Snowy conditions in Philly this weekend
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:33 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I'm not sure how much snow is supposed to fall, but it's going to snow in Philly on Saturday and Sunday. Also Sunday is expected to have high winds. These conditions are not very promising for this team. A lone bright spot may be that we are a stronger running team, so the snow will have less impact on our gameplan, but considering its going to be cold and snowy, our offensive speed will be diminished, giving the Eagles a potentially decisive advantage.

I can't recall the last time the Falcons played in the snow, but I'm sure their record in such conditions is not too promising.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Snowy conditions in Philly this weekend
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:43 pm 
Pudge wrote:
I'm not sure how much snow is supposed to fall, but it's going to snow in Philly on Saturday and Sunday. Also Sunday is expected to have high winds. These conditions are not very promising for this team. A lone bright spot may be that we are a stronger running team, so the snow will have less impact on our gameplan, but considering its going to be cold and snowy, our offensive speed will be diminished, giving the Eagles a potentially decisive advantage.

I can't recall the last time the Falcons played in the snow, but I'm sure their record in such conditions is not too promising.

I think it is GREAT for us! We have the better running team. McNabb will have difficulty passing when we shut down their running game. Falcons beat GB at Lambeau - no snow but colder than @#!$.

Pudge, I have read some of your posts and you haven't been very high on this team all season. Even now? I am all for cautious optimism but show the team some love! Go falcons!

Oh, I guess I should figure out how to post a profile or somethng to get my name off as "Guest" :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:11 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

well i think it will hurt both defense it could be harder to cut back on play
it will help both offense and might tone down the passing game of mcnabb

but turn overs could rise as it unsually does in snow

but we did great in Green Bay and i not sure how different it was than

i heard it could be up to 14 inches maybe 2 inches a hour to fall

but the temp has gone for high of 28 low of 22 to now high of 32 low of 24

so no telling what it will be like come sunday

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:45 pm 

Well Guest, my previous years of being a Falcon fan have caused me to be a pessimist when it comes to my favorite teams. Having seasons of high expectations and then have them come crashing down on us has also caused me so feelings of ill will in the past (see 1999 and 2003).

I really think the Falcons can win this game, but I honestly believe it's going to take the most effort that we've seen from teh team all season. Say what you want about the "weakness" of the Eagles, but they are one of the best teams in football, and the Falcons have really yet to show they are on the same level of "eliteness" that Philly, Pittsburgh, and New England are. I don't want to sound too overly negative, but there's a reason why we had the weakest schedule in the league and we managed a 11-5 record. Besides Denver, San Diego, and Carolina are really the only playoff caliber teams (in my opinion) that we've beaten this year. Sure that's 3 more than a lot of teams out there, but it's not exactly the kind of opponents that strengthen a team to the point that they can be Super Bowl champions.

There are a lot of factors weighing against us. As we know our passing game and pass protection have been our biggest weaknesses on offense. Well, the snow eliminates the first factor. Now the second factor comes up: Weiner is questionable, so he's less than 100%, and he's now facing Jevon Kearse, the type of athletic DE known to give this line, Vick, and the Falcons fits for the FIRST TIME! Not to mention we are now facing one of the best blitzing teams in the league, and it's been proven that controlled aggression against Vick is the best way to attack him.

Even with whatever factors you weigh, I think the Eagles are the stronger team. I've been very nervous all week. My heart tells me the Falcons can and will win, but my head tells me that we won't.

I don't think the weather gives the Eagles any major advantage, but I believe we're at the point that anything that doesn't give us an advantage, is a disadvantage.

I'm trying my best to keep my fingers crossed and stay positive. I've always been befuddled by the many Falcon fans I meet online that just seem to be blind optimists. Like the suggestion that since we are such a great running team and the Eagles biggest weakness defensively is their run defense, automatically means we will win, without putting much more thought into it.

If you're going to continue to read my thoughts/comments on the Falcons, you should know that I've always been a person that only begins to believe things about the Falcons until I see it. So, until I see it, i.e. with the cards stacked more against them than for them, the Falcons go into Philly in the heavy snow and beat the Eagles, I won't really believe they can, although I DO ACTUALLY believe they can...if that makes any sense.

So just know me as pessimist Pudge, that is doing his best over the last few years to become more optimistic. :?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:02 pm 
Dang, Pudge, that was a lot to say! :) I too have been a falcons fan since I could sit up and watch tv so i know all about the disappointments. I am not trying to be a blind optimist but I really do feel good about this game. Maybe we won;t win but don' t think we will do as poorly as most prognosticaters think.

We definitely have a good chance to win this game. This past game vs. the Rams was the most COMPLETE game they have played all season. Say what you want about them being 8-8 but this was still a playoff game and they were 12-4 last season (I think) and only two years removed from the SB game. The team deserves their props for playing so well and think it is all coming together at the right time.

Post subject: This reminds me 98 Vikings game
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:17 pm 

This Philly game reminds me of the Vikings vs Falcons 98 playoff game.I thought the Falcon's were going to get killed since the Vikings were the most dominant offensive team in the NFL.It turned out the defense was the downfall of the Vikings this year the Falcon's face a tough defense in the Eagles and defense wins championships.My brain also says the Eagles but obviously my heart is with the falcons.

I tell you I am sick and tired of these NFL experts on TV 99% predict the Eagles to win.It is the Falcon's against the world in the battle.One huge thing I am going to get out of this game is the fact that can the Falcon's win as a running team? Last week they proved me wrong only because the Ram's have such a poor defense.This week they will face the toughest defense they have played all year in the Eagle's.Will not being able to pass the ball be the Falcon's downfall? I have jumped on the band wagon that you don't need to throw as much because of Vick but the eagles game will test this question.

The offensive line kind of scares me seeing Weiner injured against Kearse,We really need another off tackle despserately on the Falcon's next year if he doesn't start at least for depth.This is crazy not having backups that are capable.

The Falcon's have been chasing the elite teams all season now they get there shot and we can evaluate how good the falcon's are.Watch this game closely since it will be a way of evaluating the weaknesses on the Falcon's.

If the Falcon's can score first it will help out tremendously for the Falcon's confidence.Turnovers,penalties and playing solid football will win it and I can bet that the Eagles will get one penalty against the falcon's on pass interference.It always seems the Eagles get this call and it leads to a Philly score.We shall see what the Falcon's are made of.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:43 pm 
Who is Weiner's backup? Is that the left or right side? Either way, i would suspect that the coaches will come up with a plan to neutralize Kearse or at least slow him down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:09 pm 

I suspect Steve Herndon has been getting snaps at RT this week in case Weiner is going to have to be pulled from the game at some point.

Although Weiner is listed as Questionable for Sunday, I would really be surprised if he does not start and play. Only if that ankle really starts to bother him during the game is he not going to be out on that field.

I'm also assuming Travis Hall and Kevin Mathis too will dress, since both are listed as questionable as well. This ain't no John Abraham situation, I suspect all these guys will be doing their best to make sure we win this week.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Snow reports
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:00 pm 

I heard philly will get up to 14 inches of snow however philadelphia seems prepared have tons of snow equipment to remove the snow.The snow should stop tomorrow and enough time to clean up the field.Also philly keeps a tarp on the field and it is heated for 70 degreees.I don't epxect the field to be real bad.It behooves philly to keep the field clean more than the falcon's.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:49 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

last report i heard was snow durning the game with the chance of up to

14-17 inches total

1-2 inches a hour

so lets see what happens

i think the bad weather could help us

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:04 am 

The poor weather could help us, but people are saying it like the Eagles are really a hardcore passing football team, and throwing in the snow and wind is going to be a problem. But remember, the Eagles aren't exactly going to be going deep against us. From their Vikings game plan, most of their passes were short. And it's not like their receivers were having troubles getting open, from what I recall.

On the other hand, our receivers have had issues getting open on the short routes all season long and getting separation. I know ideally, we'll probably only throw the football 10-15 times tomorrow, but we really are going to have to rely on the success of the running game in order for our offense to click tomorrow.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:20 am 
Veteran
Veteran

true

i just not to impressed with the thought of McNabb and passin in the snow

i not sure how much he has done that

hell he even played college in doors so this could be a new factor to him

Vick did not play in doors in college so it could be a plus for him

what i am worried about is the wind

there are 3 opens to linc field