It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:34 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: McNabb, The new McNair
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:00 pm 

I was on NFL.com and found this:

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/PHI/8895093

Apparently Lavalais' hit on him is still bugging him. On top of that McNabb is dealing with a lower abdomen and a possible sports hernia, and a shin contusion. If he has a sports Hernia Philly could be without McNabb for the year.

The Eagle's talons just got a little bit duller.

Last edited by dirtybirdnw on Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:17 pm 

Saw this and had to add it to the thread.

Colts: 13 Sacks (2nd in the NFL)
Baltimore: 1 Sack (32nd int he NFL)

Bengals: 12 Interceptions (1st in the NFL)
Baltimore: 0 Interceptions (32nd in the NFL)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:52 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Sports hernia? Whats that?

He also has a injured groin.....unless thats what the sports hernia is.

So in recap...he has a chest problem (which most people say is the same thing McNair had), shin contusion, abdomen problem and a groin problem. (unless the last two are the same thing).

Image...........anyone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:04 pm 

The curse lives on.

According to this: http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/1998/01jan/batt.htm it sounds like your run of the mill groin tear. Surgery is the prefered treatment and is most common in soccer players.

Apprently the NFL columnist either screwed up the wording or I read it wrong ;).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:49 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

THE CURSE LIVES ON....

really it is kind of creepy that the Madden curse has gotten everyone, I am not superstitious but really...

Post subject: Ray Lewis
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:19 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Wasn't Ray Lewis on O5? He wasn't hurt last year, but I think he is the only one to not have been 'hurt' by the curse (although they missed the playoffs). Also, Eddie George was on the cover a few years back as wasn't truly injured, but he did have a bad play (a tip of his shoulder pads) in the playoffs the Lewis caught for an INT and turned the game for Baltimore.

The 'curse' is a strange one, but not all consuming.

MF1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:08 pm 

History of EA Sports Madden covers:

2001: Eddie George, he gets injured after the Titans make the Super Bowl run and the team suffers (hasn't averaged 4 YPC since his cover debut).

2002: Daunte Culpepper, Misses 4 games and has a horrible season overall after high expectations (Has been an interception machine since).

2003: Marshall Faulk, injured much of the season and the Rams start 0-5 on their way to a poor season (hasn't rushed for 1,000 yards since).

2004: Michael Vick, Breaks his ankle instead of the ankles of defenders everywhere. Falcons tank.

2005: Ray Lewis, the only player in the history of Madden to escape the curse.

2006: Donovan McNabb, currently nursing a chest injury, abdominal injury, shin contusion, and a possible sports hernia.

Me thinks McNabb is getting the worst of it. He's got all sorts of injuries that are not enough collectively or individually to prevent him from playing. That's gotta be some sort of hurting. Although despite it McNabb is having his best passing season yet (leads NFL in passing yards at 964, tied with Palmer for NFL lead in TD passes at 8, and 4th in passer rating at 99.4 which is his second highest).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:10 pm 

I gotta ask why didn't Tom Brady make the cover of Madden? He's the leader of an NFL dynasty and one of the best quarterbacks in the league. But they give it to Donovan McNabb the leader of the team that can't figure out how to get over the hump?

What is up with that? Unless it was offered to Brady and he turned it down. But Brady should be on the cover not McNabb.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:18 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I don't think Brady would be stupid enough to risk the cover of Madden, especially after what happened to Vick...lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:35 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Yeah, I'm sure McNabb was not their first choice. Manning or Brady would have made a lot more sense.

I hope this doesn't offend or someone is overly sensitive about this, but it's interesting that a white player has never dawned the cover of Madden. Do you think that is just coincidence or is deliberate marketing?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:02 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Pudge wrote:
Yeah, I'm sure McNabb was not their first choice. Manning or Brady would have made a lot more sense.

I hope this doesn't offend or someone is overly sensitive about this, but it's interesting that a white player has never dawned the cover of Madden. Do you think that is just coincidence or is deliberate marketing?

I'm just guessing here, but I would think it's all marketing. White kids are more apt to buy a game, jersey or what have you no matter who's name is on it, as to where I think African-American youth are more apt to buy a product promoted by a fellow African-American.

I see both white and AA kids with Vick jersey's, but how many AA kids do you see wearing a Brady, Farve or Jake Plummer shirt?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:36 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I wouldnt exactly say Ray-Ray excaped the curse. The Ravens were a preseason favorite to make it to the SB, and they barely went 9-7. Also Ray-Ray played the entire season with an arm injury. (cant remember if it was his wrist or elbow)

As Daunte, Faulk & George ahowed, the curse isint limited to just being injured.

I'm glad Vick said he will never be on the cover of Madden again. I hope all Falcon players follow his lead :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:22 pm 

Pudge wrote:

I was thinking the same thing but didn't have the balls to say anything. Of course the overwhelming majority of elite NFL players are black (and fyi I don't believe in stating African-American unless they were born in Africa and moved to America).

Not that I care. Most my favorite athletes are black.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:28 pm 
Starter
Starter

dirtybirdnw wrote:
History of EA Sports Madden covers:

2001: Eddie George, he gets injured after the Titans make the Super Bowl run and the team suffers (hasn't averaged 4 YPC since his cover debut).

2002: Daunte Culpepper, Misses 4 games and has a horrible season overall after high expectations (Has been an interception machine since).

2003: Marshall Faulk, injured much of the season and the Rams start 0-5 on their way to a poor season (hasn't rushed for 1,000 yards since).

2004: Michael Vick, Breaks his ankle instead of the ankles of defenders everywhere. Falcons tank.

2005: Ray Lewis, the only player in the history of Madden to escape the curse.

2006: Donovan McNabb, currently nursing a chest injury, abdominal injury, shin contusion, and a possible sports hernia.

Me thinks McNabb is getting the worst of it. He's got all sorts of injuries that are not enough collectively or individually to prevent him from playing. That's gotta be some sort of hurting. Although despite it McNabb is having his best passing season yet (leads NFL in passing yards at 964, tied with Palmer for NFL lead in TD passes at 8, and 4th in passer rating at 99.4 which is his second highest).

Barry Sanders started it, he was on the 2000 cover in one of the stickers next to Madden's head.