It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:34 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Several Coaching mistakes yesterday IMO
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:35 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

Not to bash the coaches in general, b/c I thought overall they called a great game, but I had a few issues late in the game...

1) On Deangelo's fumbled return... why was he returning it at all? Maybe this was just a mistake on his own part (obviously the coaches can't control if he fumbles), but with 4 minutes to go with him standing near midfield, the coaches should have told him to fair catch no matter what or just let it go ... game would have been basically over, luckily it didn't matter.

2) Then when we did get the ball back, what the hell was that play action pass call just before the 2 minute warning?!?! Thank God the batted ball fell incomplete... I mean what in the name of cute, stupid bs was that! Run the ball when your ahead by 8 at the 2 minute warning!

Sorry just needed to vent a little, I swear our coaches are intent on giving me a heart attack sometimes

Post subject: I so agree
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:51 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I so agree about Hall returning that punt. He is right handed, carries the ball right handed and hurt his right shoulder. I saw him back there and thougt somebody must have gone insane! 5 seconds later the Bills had the ball back.

I also thought we had a bad call on a 3rd and 2 during the game (3rd quarter I think). We were stacking up yards on the ground and by this time TJ was pounding the Bills D to dust and somebody (I guess maybe Knapp) calls for a throw. Of course it was batted down (as we all know Vick can't really complete those passes well) and we are forced to punt. With the 'DVD' backfield I can't see any reason for that pass.

MF1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:19 pm 

Duckett was impressive. Unless he ran right into the pile he was good for 6 to 8 yards a carry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:55 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

the play calling sucks though.

no misdirections.
no running Vick to one side to throw a screen to the other side of the field.
no screen passes period. Dunn could easily have 60 yds receiving a game if we'd throw him the ball. if i'm not mistaken we used to use the screen pass as part of our running game. well not anymore.

Post subject: Re: Several Coaching mistakes yesterday IMO
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:27 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

jatkin11 wrote:
Not to bash the coaches in general, b/c I thought overall they called a great game, but I had a few issues late in the game...

1) On Deangelo's fumbled return... why was he returning it at all? Maybe this was just a mistake on his own part (obviously the coaches can't control if he fumbles), but with 4 minutes to go with him standing near midfield, the coaches should have told him to fair catch no matter what or just let it go ... game would have been basically over, luckily it didn't matter.

2) Then when we did get the ball back, what the hell was that play action pass call just before the 2 minute warning?!?! Thank God the batted ball fell incomplete... I mean what in the name of cute, stupid bs was that! Run the ball when your ahead by 8 at the 2 minute warning!

Sorry just needed to vent a little, I swear our coaches are intent on giving me a heart attack sometimes

I applaud that call. It's going for the throat to salt the game away. Everyone in the stadium was expecting run and we go play action, an aggressive call to say the least. It didn't work, but I like the call.

Weren't people on this board just complaining last week that we are too conservative? (not necessarily you, jatkin)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:31 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

Yea, but not 1st an 10 with 2:20 in the 4th quarter and Buffalo having 1 TO left (I'm pretty sure that scenario was pretty close)

I guess I've just seen us get burned with that kind of thing too often, or maybe I'm just too much "of the conservative football philosopy".... you gotta admit when the pass was batted 20 feet in the air you could just picture the whole game crashing down with an INT retuned 80 yards for a TD to possibly tie the game

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:45 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

I haven't done my breakdown yet but I think DeAngelo just got caught in a bad position. 9 times out of 10 that probably doesn't happen...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:16 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

D.Hall basically got clotheslined accross the upper torso which, unfortunately, means he got clocked on the arm a decent amount. D.Hall should not have been returning the punt with an injured shoulder, and I'm sure our coaches felt pretty stupid when he fumbled. Hey next time let's get Vick to return it! Idiotic.