It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:45 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Official Week 4-Vikings Game Discussion Thread
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 5:56 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Kicking things off...

This week's rival site is Kansas Viking and they have a good group of guys and gals on their message board: http://www.vikingsmessageboard.com

Big keys to beating the Vikings:

1. Get pressure on Culpepper. Culpepper is still prone to make poor throws and mistakes, and putting pressure on him is the best way to make him do that.

2. Block Kevin Williams. He is their key to stopping Vick because quick interior DTs tend to give Vick and our O-line the most trouble. If Williams can be kept under wraps, then I think Vick and Atlanta can put a lot of pressure on the Viking supporting cast.

3. Run the ball. Pat Williams is going to be tough to move in the middle, but otherwise the Vikings have an undersized front 7 and I think both Dunn & Duckett could be effective like they were vs. Buffalo.

4. Get the secondary healthy. More so than any other team we've faced this year and probably will face all season long, the Vikings will be able to stretch the field with 4 and 5 receivers. They say Rossum & Webster should be back next week, but even still Chris Cash and Morton will need to step up their game because I'm sure they are going to get plenty of work.

Last edited by Pudge on Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:47 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

well an undersized Dline is just what the Dr ordered for us this game. that will kickstart our running game and hopefully give Vick a little more time to make some throws.
i agree Culpepper can look bad early and often. I am still not sold that last week's version was the real Post-Randy Vikings offense. if they can't pass for 280 yds before sacks against our DBs then they'll prove my suspicions correct.
btw, isn't it funny how we have always flinched when Rossum came in on D? now we are rooting for him to come back from injury to play DB, oh the irony!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:37 pm 

Kick start our rushing offense?

Atlanta's NFL Rankings:
Average Rushing Per Game: #1 (183.7 Yards)
Total Rushing Yards: #1 (551 Yards)
Runs for 20+ Yards: #1 (7)
Yards Per Carry: #2 (5.4 Yards)
First Downs: Tied-1st (26)

Our running game is fine and on pace for almost 3,000 yards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:33 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I think this will be a big game for the Falcons. If the Vikes can come down here and give Culpepper time in the pocket then we may be in trouble (escpecially if our secondary does not get healty quick!)

I am not really all that scared of their defense though. I agree that stopping Kevin Williams will be key, but after that I don't see that they really have an answer for what our offense will want to do. I know their CB's are small as is pretty much the rest of there defense outside of thier interior linemen.

Since the game is in ATL and we are coming off a good win against Buf I am hoping we can just roll right on through Minnesota and into the NE game...

plus I will be at the game Sunday and I have never been to a game and had us lose so the streak will and must stay intact.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:55 pm 

MF1 just posted that Mora expected everyone to be back for next weeks game too. So we will be 100% again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:31 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I remember when Vick beat the Vikes back in 2002 with a 50 yard run in overtime for a TD...."The Incomparable Mike Vick!!!" I wish Hullinger called games for us still, sucks that ESPN robbed him from us. Now we have to listen to those morons they use now on FOX.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:42 am 
Veteran
Veteran

Re: I wish Hullinger called games for us still, sucks that ESPN robbed him from us.

Seriously, I was listening to part of the game on 92.9 last week in the car... actually the good part of our last drive and TJ's score... and Wes Durahm must be the most anti-clamactic announcer ever. I couldn't tell if we were doing something good or bad because he wasn't getting excited whatsoever... he called T.J's touchdown in a monotone, calm mannor... just weird. What happened to Chuck Smith anyway, I thought he was good?

As for the Fox annouoncers, lets just hope we don't have the 3rd string again this week (which we probably will)... What about Chris Meyers? How did he end up in the hot chick announcer spot on the sidelines? Must have pissed someone off at the network

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:37 pm 

Best sportscasting units in todays environment:

- Most of ABC's college crews but Keith Jackson, Dan Fouts, and Todd Harris are the ultimate (even though Fouts can be a homer especially at Oregon games).

- CBS'a A Unit which for some reason I'm drawing a blank on names.

- And there are bits and pieces of the ESPN Sunday Night crew that I like.

FOX Sportscasters are the worst on the face of the planet. Although their pre-game show is one of the most entertaining in existence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:01 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

IMO there is one key to this game. STOP THE DEEP BALL. Pepper is arguably the best deep ball thrower in the NFL and we need to take that away from them. We did a good job stopping the deep ball vs. Buff, but I'm not so sure if it was us or because JP sucks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:44 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Yulin wrote:
I have to admit I like the ESPN Sunday night crew, as they're the most lively and seem to have the most fun. They do have moments where you go "WTF are you talking about", but you get that with any crew.

Same here, I would love to see the Falcons on Sunday Night about 4 games per year...although I think I remember one of the announcers having a certain disdain for Vick though...? But yeah their crew is the easiest to listen to, but that Bill Haas (Maas?) and especially the other guy were not too fun Sunday at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:50 am 
Playmaker
Playmaker

I heard something this morning on the radio that MIN might also be missing a few players due to some problems with the law. That's all I've heard, so I'm just looking to see if anyone else heard this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:56 am 

Bryant McKinnie and Marcus Johnson got into a scuffle at a gas station after hours. You can find out more here.

I've never heard of O-linemen from the same team getting into a fight between themselves.

McKinnie at the time he came into the league was considered one of the best OTs ever in college (never allowed a sack at Miami). But since, he has struggled in the NFL. Johnson is a rookie that is a good run blocker, but not a gifted pass protector. Whether these two play shouldn't be a huge factor because I think we matchup well with both, since BRady Smith and Rod Coleman will be going up against both.

If they don't play, the Vikings could be in trouble with having to use Adam Goldberg at LT and either Melvin Fowler or Anthony Herrera at RG. Fowler is a natural center and doesn't have the strength to play guard. Goldberg is the Vikings version of Steve Herndon and Herrera is marginal.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:55 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

To me, it doesn't sound serious enough to cause either player to not play. It's unfortunate because that behavior is not becoming of professional athletes. It will probably be down-played, and they'll get a slap on the wrist. It just bugs me that they have such a priviledged position to be making lots of money and be in the public eye, yet they still behave like thugs and crimenals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:24 pm 
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Pudge wrote:
Bryant McKinnie and Marcus Johnson got into a scuffle at a gas station after hours. You can find out more here.

I've never heard of O-linemen from the same team getting into a fight between themselves.

McKinnie at the time he came into the league was considered one of the best OTs ever in college (never allowed a sack at Miami). But since, he has struggled in the NFL. Johnson is a rookie that is a good run blocker, but not a gifted pass protector. Whether these two play shouldn't be a huge factor because I think we matchup well with both, since BRady Smith and Rod Coleman will be going up against both.

If they don't play, the Vikings could be in trouble with having to use Adam Goldberg at LT and either Melvin Fowler or Anthony Herrera at RG. Fowler is a natural center and doesn't have the strength to play guard. Goldberg is the Vikings version of Steve Herndon and Herrera is marginal.

Minneapolis police kind of like arresting football players. I got a chance to see the video from the security camera at Bobby and Steve's. They had it on KSTP the other day and it may still be there. There was no fight or punches thrown. Just an arguement. Interviews with patrons and employees all said they had no idea why anyone was arrested and that nothing really happened.

I pretty much expect charges to be dropped in this one and they will play this weekend. Although in the case of Johnson, we may be better off if he doesn't. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:26 pm 
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

The_Incomparable wrote:
I remember when Vick beat the Vikes back in 2002 with a 50 yard run in overtime for a TD...."The Incomparable Mike Vick!!!" I wish Hullinger called games for us still, sucks that ESPN robbed him from us. Now we have to listen to those morons they use now on FOX.

I was at that game. While we lost, it was one of the most exciting and energy filled games I have ever been too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:32 pm 

Kansas Viking wrote:
Minneapolis police kind of like arresting football players. I got a chance to see the video from the security camera at Bobby and Steve's. They had it on KSTP the other day and it may still be there. There was no fight or punches thrown. Just an arguement. Interviews with patrons and employees all said they had no idea why anyone was arrested and that nothing really happened.

I pretty much expect charges to be dropped in this one and they will play this weekend. Although in the case of Johnson, we may be better off if he doesn't. :)

It sounds like the Portland Police/Media in regards to the Trailblazers!

Post subject: Game
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:12 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Hey Kansas, glad you are on with us here. Also good to see you aren't bitter about the 50 yard OT thing.

P. Hospital reports all players are probable save Antoine Cash who is Questionable.

Also, I am looking forward to seeing Mike Rosenthal go up against Kerney. This could be a breakout game for Kerney. With B. Smith back and Rosenthals difficulties this season protecting Culpepper we could see some sacks for big number 97.

MF1

J. Mora JR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:29 pm 

The Aint's sacked Pepper 7 times last week. We should be able to at least pace them.

Interesting note from CNNSI's power poll. Apparently when teams play the Vikings the amount of penalities spike for no apparent reason. CNNSI blamed it on purple jersey's making opposing teams angry.

Post subject: Re: Game
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:19 pm 
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

MarylandFalcon1 wrote:
Hey Kansas, glad you are on with us here. Also good to see you aren't bitter about the 50 yard OT thing.

Thanks. You guys have a nice place here. Pudge and everyone have done a good job of getting things set up for the season.

MarylandFalcon1 wrote:
P. Hospital reports all players are probable save Antoine Cash who is Questionable.

Also, I am looking forward to seeing Mike Rosenthal go up against Kerney. This could be a breakout game for Kerney. With B. Smith back and Rosenthals difficulties this season protecting Culpepper we could see some sacks for big number 97.

MF1

You guys should have a good day against Rosey. Marcus Johnson too. Part of our OL is made up of guys that are more backups than anything. Like Rosenthal. Johnson is a rookie and while he should end up being a good lineman for us, he has been schooled quite a bit this year. I don't see our OL doing that well at protecting Daunte.

I also expect your tight ends to have a good day. For some reason our linebackers have not been able to cover good tight ends out of the backfield the last couple of years. Crumpler will roll this weekend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:29 pm 

I think the problem with the Vikings LBs is that the majority of them would be ideal in the 3-4, a scheme that could work in Minnesota if not for guys like Udeze and Kevin Williams.

None of your starting LBs are really good cover guys. So it's going to be up to SHarper and Chavous to stop Crumpler. And although both have the ability and skills to cover him, I think Crump is too physical for both, so there may be a few instances where he can break a tackle and make a long run.

The Falcons have been inconsistent a lot lately, and although this is a game I think the Falcons should win from start to finish, because of that inconsistency, it will probably be close at the end.

Prediction:

Falcons 24
Vikings 21

OT?...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:08 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I am hoping we jump put to an early lead and force the Vikes to be a one sided team (as if they weren't already pretty one sided to begin with...). We should keep Culpepper under pressure for most of the game considering the play of their O-Line, especially since Matt Birk is hurt.

We always play a lot better at home and I really would love to see a convincing win. That would do wonders for our momentum going into next week...

Realistically though I see us controlling the game but no exactly winning by a lot...
Atl-27
Min-21

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:39 pm 

With Burleson and Williams now out for the game and Johntsone/Henderson/Sharper/Udeze all questionable I'm going to have to give my prediction to the Falcons.

Atlanta 32 -- Minnesota 17

If Sharper and Udeze play my modified prediction will be 27/17 Atlanta. But in either case Minnesota is too banged up and Culpepper is too vunrable for me to see the Vikes pull off an upset in the Georgia Dome.