It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:33 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: We need to throw the darn ball
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:01 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

We keep complaining about our offense and until our coaches start calling more pass plays we will keep having something to complain about. I know that Vick may not be a proven passer but he will never be one unless we give him a chance to be. We will not continue to win games if we don't try to throw the ball more than 15-17 times a game. I would like to see that number up around 23-25 times a game. You can't get better at something unless you keep trying to do it. We are not even really trying to throw the ball, so how can you expect Vick to progress as a passer. Our team needs to show a little more faith in him and out recievers and open up the playbook some. Sure it will lead to mistakes but it's the only way for us to take that next step.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:07 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Yeah and I would do it this weekend if they're going to do it. Send a message to the league by going to the air against the current #1 pass defense in the league. Their pass rush is not that great although their DB's are solid. Still you can catch them off guard & get Finn or Jenk on one of their safeties & that will be a win situation if they ctach the ball. I think we're all pretty sick of being a "potent ground attack" because we all know that if Vick's running gets stopped our attack isn't so potent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:11 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

Ask any defense in the league if it isn't easier to stop a one dimensional offense. Our passing game needs the chance to earn some respect. Until we do expect to see a lot of stacked boxes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:16 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

:?

I'm confused. We have one thread that says over and over again that our receivers suck, we have one thread that says Vick couldn't throw a rock out of a boat and hit the ocean and now we have a thread that says we need to pass the ball more?

:?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:07 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

to clarify things....I still think our WR's have a long way to go as does Vick, but the only way we are ever going to improve is by at least trying to throw the ball. We don't even really try, we always throw less than 20 times. Now I am not saying throw it 40 times, I just want to see us make 23-25 passing attempts a game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:04 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I am not one of the neysayers so I will speak on this. I believe our coach (Knapp) should force himself to call 6 pass plays per quarter. 24 throws per game is enough to get Vick good reps & help everyone grow in the passing game. Also, it gives us ample opportunity to throw the ball to move the chains & also take a few shots downfield during the game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:23 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

As long as teams know we can't/won't throw the ball they are going to all be in the box to stuff the run. Seattle's gameplan is a perfect example.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:57 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

DenimJacket wrote:
As long as teams know we can't/won't throw the ball they are going to all be in the box to stuff the run. Seattle's gameplan is a perfect example.

That is exactly what Philly did last year in the NFC playoff game and it worked as well. In the MNF game earlier this year Vick threw enough passes to keep them spread. I think the one play that made that game was the long lob to Jenkins that got them to the one yard line. The Eagles rarely stacked the line after that because they feared Vicks arm.