It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:19 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fact or Fiction
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:01 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I'd like to throw out a few questions to you guys/gals just for fun as to where we the fans see the franchise: Give reasons too!

1. Mike Vick will be a 64+% passer?

2. Jim Mora Jr. will be the Falcons coach in 5 years?

3. The Falcons will win the Super Bowl in the next 5 years?

4. Mike Vick will retire a Falcon?

5. Jenkins and Rowdy Roddy will be a force at receiver for years to come?

6. Who goes to a new team first, Dunn or Duckett?

Post subject: Re: Fact or Fiction
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:11 pm 
Starter
Starter

AngryJohnny51 wrote:
I'd like to throw out a few questions to you guys/gals just for fun as to where we the fans see the franchise: Give reasons too!

1. Fiction- I don't think he will ever have to complete it that often.
2. Fact- From what I have seen from him, he is here to stay for a long time.
3. Fact- We have one of the better young teams in the NFC, got to believe we will get there at some point.
4. Fact- He sells to many tickets for us to get rid of him.
5. Jenkins - yes, White- ?
6. Dunn, we owe him too much $ to keep him around.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:15 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

AngryJohnny51 wrote:

1. Not this year, young receivers & a still unsteady O-line will make sure of that.

2. Not if we're not in the Super Bowl picture for the next 5 years. But yes I think he will.

3. Yes, if not now we might be the Cubs of the NFL.

4. Not in today's game unless he retires after this contract is up. It's sad but I've already considered seeing a 35 yr old Vick playing in Cleveland or something.

5. Well, I'm going to say yes. If not, we're screwed unless we get very lucky in the draft or trade for TO or something.

6. Dunn, age is a huge factor & Duckett has a contract & scored TD's.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:31 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

AngryJohnny51 wrote:

1. Conditional: with the current O-line and playcalling, i predict he will injured by week ten. With an O-line shakeup or better playcalling, yes.

2. Yes. A young, enthusiastic and motivated coach with years of experience in his own right and through the legacy of his father.

3. Yes, they are improving every year and appear to be making mostly sound decisions.

4. Yes. He will cost too much for another team to pick up and will probably restructure his contract in the last year of his current contract.

5. I cannot answer this one. Not enough time to evaluate either of them in their current role.

6. Dunn, the salary cap will cause the Falcons to release one, and Duckett, for reasons only the coaching staff knows appears to be a continual work in progress. They absolutely want this guy to work out regardless of his sporadic performance.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:35 pm 

AngryJohnny51 wrote:

Fiction: I like Vick but he will never be an elite passer. I think 60% is his absolute ceiling if he ever hits that. This would be true even if we had Harrison & Owens at WR.
AngryJohnny51 wrote:

Fact: Mora Jr. is a good coach the only problem we have is Knapp. I wasn't very excited to have Knapp to begin with. If he doesn't changes his ways then Mora will have to dump him. Whether or not he can do that is a question. He seems like the nice guy to coach that could hamper him in the long run.
AngryJohnny51 wrote:

Fact: I put our Super Bowl run out over the next 2 to 3 years.
AngryJohnny51 wrote:

Fact: As long as Vick is the human highlight reel and an NFL Icon he will be in Atlanta. He's already signed through is 30's and I don't think his career will go past about 32 or 33.
AngryJohnny51 wrote:

Fiction: I like them and I think Roddy could be a big time player. I don't think Jenkins & Roddy will make that Harrison/Wayne combo though.
AngryJohnny51 wrote:

Hey.... This isn't fact or fiction!!!! However it will be Dunn. As much as I like him he is easily replaced. How many 5'9" scrapbacks get drafted every year? Almost every NFL team has one. That and Dunn makes too much money for his age and skills.

IMO neither back will be here after the next two seasons. I can see Duckett getting moved in a draft day deal.

Last edited by dirtybirdnw on Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:36 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

1. Fiction. He is still having problems with high throws and our poor oline.

2. FACT. I am a Mora homer :D Now the real question shold be will Knapp & Donatell be here in 5 years....

3. Fact. Despite Vicks comp.% he wins. Our defense is young, fast and smashmouth. And they are hella good. If we get execution from our offense and consistant play from our defense we have a shot this year.

4. Fiction. As much as I would love to believe it, thats very rare for a player to spend a whole career in one place.

5. Fact. Jenkins will be fine. He has shown some jitters but I think he'll be OK.

6. Uhm...Fact? I say Duckett. He will want to start someday and he wont start here. He is better suited for us currently as is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:37 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Good responses fella's, keep 'em coming!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:14 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

1. Fiction - That will only happen if Vick completes 2 of his first 3 passes in a season and then is knocked out for the rest of the year.

2. Fiction - I'm not sure if Mora will be the coach in 2010. That would mean it would be his 7th year in Atlanta, which is a bit of longevity for any NFL coach nowadays. Because of the question of how much longer Rich McKay will stick around (because he supposedly has his eye on Tags job), Mora's future is a question mark. If McKay or one of his disciples is not running the GM job, then Mora's job security is tentative.

3. Fact. I believe the Falcons can/will win a Super Bowl in the next 5 years, but honestly I suspect it to be only 1. I think Vick will reach his peak within the next 2-3 years, so I think that's probably when we'll win one.

4. Fiction. I suspect Vick will play until he's close 35. That's 10 years from now. Although he's signed thru the next 9 years, his contract is structured so that he is really only set to be here for the next 4-5 years. Because I'm doubtful Mora will be around at that point, I think a new coach will take the team in a new direction rather than inheriting a declining 30-year old QB. He'll probably end his career playing for some other team for 1-2 years, like many of the greats of the past have done (Dorsett, Montana, etc.)

5. Fiction. First round WRs are hit and miss, and despite the ability of McKay (although he's missed every time on every WR he's ever drafted), the law of averages states that it's unlikely that both will develop into quality NFL guys. Maybe one, which one is for you to decide.

6. Duckett. Although Dunn's cap hit next year means the team has to do something, I think the Falcons will be much more open to renegotiating his contract at a cheaper price. I think the coaching staff realizes as most of us do that Duckett is not a good fit, and the team will try to get a middle round pick for him after the season.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Questions
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:53 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

1. Fiction: This is not going to happen, the guy can pass but not at those numbers. You have to be able to read a defense to get numbers like that and he can't.

2. Fact: He is very young and could pull down a Cowher/Fisher like regime in Atlanta.

3. Fiction: Looks like I am the only one to say this but injury and a lack of 60+% passing with an inablity to read a defense will always keep us from the final goal. Just ask Virginia Tech, close but no cigar.

4. Fiction: Eventually with age and bad decisions we will let him go.

5. Maybe Roddy, but jitters of no M. Jenkins will never be elite. Elite guys don't miss this many grabs early in their careers.

6. Both. Running backs in an offense like ours are a dime a dozen, just ask Denver. We can replace them anytime we want.

MF1 (remember this is AngryMarylandFalcon1 you are hearing from, after 5 more weeks ask me again :evil: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:42 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

1. I doubt Vick will ever be that precise of a passer unless he makes progress by leaps and bounds in his ability to read and react.

2. Yes I think Mora will be here in 5 years. Unless we have a ctastophic meltdown over the span of 2-3 years then I think Mora will stick around. Now both coordinators....that's a different story. If our offense doesn't vastly improve this season I could see Knapp leaving sooner than later.

3. The homer in me says yes, but the realist in me has it's doubts. I think we definatly have the talent base to build on, but we have to become more explosive offensively, or get bigger on defense, one or the other. I like the smaller defensive players and all but if we ever have to play a team with a big, athletic line, we get killed. Until we can stop that I don't see us going all the way.

4. I think Vick will retire as a Falcon. He makes a ton of money for us. Unless he completely stops progressing as a player he should stick around through his contract and after that he'll probably retire.

5. Hmmmm.....that depends on a lot of things. Will Dunn restructure his contract? Will he be willing to take a reduce role in years to come? Will Duckett ever decide to pick a hole and hit it? Honestly, you can call me crazy, I think both will be here next year. I think Dunn will restrucure his contract and we will focus on finishing our defense and O-line this off season. The two of them together give us as much of a chance to win as anybody else we would bring in (read: they would be better than a rookie, and we won't pay a lot of money for a FA). We might try to find a diamond in the rough in the late rounds to run, but I see us making any big moves to get anybody.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:30 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

AngryJohnny51 wrote:

1 - Fiction. Tends to overthrow the ball at times (lack of accuracy). Hasn't learned to read a blitz and throw to a hot route.
2 - Fact. Great young coach that seems to know what he is doing.
3 - Fact. A nice nucleus of young guys and vets. Still a handfull of players away.
4 - Fact. We are committed to him. Takes too many hits and will probably have a rather short career.
5 - Fact/Fiction. The potential is there but so far that is it.
6 - Duckett. Power runner not a cutback runner. Style doesn't fit our scheme.

Note - Dunn might be gone as well as he is getting on in years and has a very high cap hit for '06.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:07 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Sidenote on your first question Johnny. Tom Brady will never be a 64+% passer. FACT

Here is Tom Brady completion% year by year

00 - 33.6 (he only threw 3 passes this year)
01 - 63.9 (Almost....but almost only counts in horseshoes and had grenades...unless you want to round up)
02 - 62.1
03 - 60.2
04 - 60.8
05 - 57.3 (after two games, compared to Vicks 54.8)

Also, Vick is just 3 completions off of 60%. If he lowered 3 throws, or our recievers didnt drop 3 more passes (didnt Jenk have 3 drops vs. Seattle) he'd be a 60%.

60 is the magic #, not 64.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:36 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

vickisthebest wrote:
Sidenote on your first question Johnny. Tom Brady will never be a 64+% passer. FACT

Here is Tom Brady completion% year by year

00 - 33.6 (he only threw 3 passes this year)
01 - 63.9 (Almost....but almost only counts in horseshoes and had grenades...unless you want to round up)
02 - 62.1
03 - 60.2
04 - 60.8
05 - 57.3 (after two games, compared to Vicks 54.8)

Also, Vick is just 3 completions off of 60%. If he lowered 3 throws, or our recievers didnt drop 3 more passes (didnt Jenk have 3 drops vs. Seattle) he'd be a 60%.

60 is the magic #, not 64.

Considering that Brady throws between 525 - 600 times a season compared to Vick's 321 - 421, a 60 - 63.9 % is pretty good.