It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:56 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Kevin Mathis
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:15 pm 
Offline
Starter
Starter

Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:05 pm
Posts: 66
Location: Savannah, Ga
Anybody heard how serious his injury is?? ESPN.com makes it sound serious. They said he is having an MRI and it is at least a sprain.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:42 pm 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:11 pm
Posts: 4446
Location: Vancouver, WA
If he misses significant time we are in trouble it moves Rossum to the #3 DB.

_________________
Fear the BEARD!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:51 pm 
Offline
All-Pro
All-Pro
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:32 pm
Posts: 625
Location: South Jersey
If this is as serious as some initial reports are claiming Maybe we put him on IR and sign another corner?

I really hope its not one of his ligaments. I hope he returns asap.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:07 pm 
Offline
All-Pro
All-Pro
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:32 pm
Posts: 625
Location: South Jersey
Mathis done for the year, and this doesnt sound good. This sounds like on of those things players never come back from.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/s ... id=2162009

ESPN.com confirmed Wednesday night through several sources, including agent Drew Pittman, that Mathis tore the anterior cruciate ligament and two of the three other ligaments in his knee when he landed awkwardly during the afternoon practice while defending a pass. Mathis will undergo surgery next week and will be placed on injured reserve.

Just the anterior cruciate ligament injury alone would be enough to end Mathis' season. But the damage to other ligaments could make the injury career-threatening and the ninth-year veteran certainly faces a long rehabilitation to get back on the field again.


The ligaments I know of in the knee are your ACL, PCL, MCL.

Any doctors in the house?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:15 pm 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar

Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:31 pm
Posts: 3099
Quote:
Mathis done for the year, and this doesnt sound good. This sounds like on of those things players never come back from.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/s ... id=2162009

ESPN.com confirmed Wednesday night through several sources, including agent Drew Pittman, that Mathis tore the anterior cruciate ligament and two of the three other ligaments in his knee when he landed awkwardly during the afternoon practice while defending a pass. Mathis will undergo surgery next week and will be placed on injured reserve.

Just the anterior cruciate ligament injury alone would be enough to end Mathis' season. But the damage to other ligaments could make the injury career-threatening and the ninth-year veteran certainly faces a long rehabilitation to get back on the field again.

The ligaments I know of in the knee are your ACL, PCL, MCL.

Any doctors in the house?


I hate too see any player get injured, regardless of what team it is. That being said, I was never a big Mathis fan myself, but I sure don't want to see Rossum gobbling up extra playing time because of this... that doesn't bode well for the secondary.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:23 pm 
Offline
All-Pro
All-Pro
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:32 pm
Posts: 625
Location: South Jersey
Well the article says we will place him on IR so hopefully we can sign a corner? Happen to know what CB FA are out there?

But this will mean playing time for Torrence. Maybe he can eventually take over at nickel and put Rossum back at dime.

I really want to see us sign another corner and preferrably one thats taller then 5'6". :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:10 am 
Offline
All-Pro
All-Pro

Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:06 pm
Posts: 715
Location: Augusta, GA
aeneus williams has yet to file his retirement papers.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:59 am 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:11 pm
Posts: 4446
Location: Vancouver, WA
vickisthebest wrote:
I really want to see us sign another corner and preferrably one thats taller then 5'6". :)


I'm 5'6"! Maybe I squeeze my fat ass back into the pads and go play DB for the Falcons. :)

_________________
Fear the BEARD!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:35 pm 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar

Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:31 pm
Posts: 3099
dirtybirdnw wrote:
vickisthebest wrote:
I really want to see us sign another corner and preferrably one thats taller then 5'6". :)


I'm 5'6"! Maybe I squeeze my fat ass back into the pads and go play DB for the Falcons. :)


Ya, but can you play special teams? 8-)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:39 pm 
Offline
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:03 pm
Posts: 25780
Location: North Carolina
The LCL is the 4th ligament of the knee. It is the least common one injured as far as I know, which is maybe a cause for concern. I'm no doctor, but I know a few. It's 2 ligament tears which is a hard injury to come back from. At his age and the severity of this injury, it may be difficult for Mathis to come back to this team.

_________________
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:37 pm 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:11 pm
Posts: 4446
Location: Vancouver, WA
Mathis is 31 years old and would likely be better served to hang his cleats up. The only reason I could see Mathis coming back is for a shot at a ring. For the Falcons chances are best that they should just move on with someone younger and with potential. Mathis was a stop-gap anyways.

_________________
Fear the BEARD!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  


cron